Applying to Ivies Class of 2013

<p>^I don’t know how one can be sure about anything involving college admissions, particularly to highly selective institutions. (Note while Dartmouth’s overall numbers were down, the number of diverse applicants increased.)</p>

<p>I’m sure kuromeido put his/her best foot forward though, which is really all one can control.</p>

<p>Should I bother applying to the Ivies?
GPA UW 3.7/W 4.4
SAT 2170 (800 W, 620 M, 750 CR)
Extracurriculars: piano 12+ years, lots of tutoring, volunteer work w/church, started a club (president), martial arts 6 years, NHS and SHS
Not sure if I really want to attend an Ivy League school but they are very prestigious. Right now I’m leaning towards a liberal arts school</p>

<p>Yes. Apply.</p>

<p>@ bee, you have the stats for an ivy, but if there are none you care for then i wouldnt apply. you might want to take a second look though, some are very nice!</p>

<p>^thanks for the advice, maybe i will look at brown or columbia. I just don’t know that I would fit in at an ivy league school considering I have no clue what I want to major in</p>

<p>What are your interests academically?</p>

<p>^well I took AP Bio and enjoyed it; also this year I’m really enjoying AP Psych. So maybe something in the sciences? My real strengths are in English/writing but I don’t know what I would do with that as a career :(</p>

<p>Same here! My strength is writing but I also adore science. I’ve decided to major in Bio and CS (the latter being more marketable in the event I do not attend Med school).</p>

<p>The only thing I can think of that combines writing and science would be authoring scientific journals…</p>

<p>I would love to major in English, but I’m afraid I’ll end up poor and jobless. T_T</p>

<p>There’s also this thing called popular science — communicating science to the masses?</p>

<p>I’m still doing an internal debate. I don’t know. I need to find a profession where I can make the biggest difference.</p>

<p>^Same.
I thought being a doctor would make the greatest impact, but following this path takes tremendous effort. :&lt;/p>

<p>I’ll definitely look into popular science.</p>

<p>I’m okay putting a huge load of work into doing something (I feel empty when my work is easy), but only as long as it pays off.</p>

<p>I’m afraid that working as a physician would only be like adding a drop of water to a hot stone. Catastrophes get averted, but their systemic basis remains.</p>

<p>I suppose that’s true. </p>

<p>Unless one discovers the cure for many types of cancer.
As far fetched as it sounds, I always dream of doing that, lol.</p>

<p>@alexis and philovitist, good luck to you guys! I’m sure you’ll find something you enjoy and can make a difference in :slight_smile: Hopefully by taking a variety of classes freshman year I’ll find what I want to major in.</p>

<p>Anyone looking at Cornell? I know I previously talked about Columbia, but I’ve forced myself to be content with getting rejected. I know little about it overall, but their Anthropology and Inter. relations programs seem exquisite!</p>

<p>@bee
Thank you! Good luck to you!</p>

<p>@lady </p>

<p>I am. I hear Cornell is perf for Bio.</p>

<p>@alexissss yeah I hear they’re amazing for the sciences. Are you going to join the Diversity Chat for Cornell on Wednesday?</p>

<p>@lady
I didn’t even know about it, lol. I guess I will. :3</p>

<p>Cool! Check your inbox because you have to receive the link in order to join. Despite being prone to big, bustling cities, Ithaca seems like a great place to learn.</p>

<p>I got the email! Can’t wait to chat. :3</p>

<p>And agreed.</p>

<p>User Name: megall2
College Class Year: 2017
High School: Public
High School Type: rarely sends grads to top schools
Will apply for financial aid: Yes</p>

<p>Academics:</p>

<p>GPA - Unweighted: 3.65
Class Rank: top 10%
Class Size: 253</p>

<p>Scores:</p>

<p>SAT I Math: 450
SAT I Critical Reading: 570
SAT I Writing: 610
ACT: 25
SAT II Literature: 670, Biology E: 540, Physics:490</p>

<p>Extracurriculars:</p>

<p>Significant Extracurriculars: cheerleader and band member at the same time book club president 2 years
Leadership positions: president and team captain golf and cheerleading
nhs, student council
Athletic Status - list sport and your level: cheerleading varsity, golf varsity
Honors and Awards: a few magna cum lade
history awards, student council award</p>