April 7th Engineering Open House Postcard

<p>I ended up getting the post card in the mail today. However, I'm finding it kind of odd. The postcard states that they are inviting me to attend an open house on April 7th, 2008. This is six days after the deadline of decision notification.</p>

<p>I'm personally finding it a bit hard to believe they would invite students they are not going to admit when they'll just deny them six days before the event. That could also cause huge issues for out of state students who would have to make a longer trip to the event. Not to mention it'd seem a bit schadenfreudic for them to invite someone to attend when the decision on their application was already made and they denied you. The event does seem to be open to all levels of high school students and transfers.</p>

<p>So, how many students got this post card (Postmarked February 27th)? Also, are you out of state (they may have given it only to in state students)?</p>

<p>Heres a link to the website it refers you to: College</a> of Engineering</p>

<p>I got it today also, and i'm from ohio. I have already been admitted though, and i thought it was sent specifically for admitted students. Sounds good for you i guess!</p>

<p>btw....schadenfreudic? lol</p>

<p>Its basically joy at the expense of others. If they were to invite a student they already decided they are going to deny, it could be considered schadenfreudic.</p>

<p>It means the same thing in both German and English.</p>

<p>Edit: I looked it up after making this post and it seems the form schadenfreudic is incorrect, and it should only be used as the noun schadenfreude. Enough of that though =P</p>

<p>My S got one today also. Good point on the whole planning a trip and then not being admitted. Let's hope it is a good sign.</p>

<p>Looked at the web page - I suppose it is very possible that anyone who is on a mailing list for VT would get this postcard. It is hard not to want to read something into everything :)</p>

<p>I got on. It looks like a pretty generic card tome. I don't think it means anything.</p>

<p>Hey, I'll probably be conned into working this.</p>

<p>It'll probably be all of the various engineering majors in VT presenting stuff, so if you're going to do engineering and you're not sure what type it might be good. As for the "invite you and reject you a week before" thing, well, it sucks but VT is pretty bad at timing in general.</p>

<p>My son who is only a high school sophomore got an invite card to the Open House too, so this apparently isn't geared to those who have applied.</p>

<p>yea i got one...from Maryland..i think its just like the information i've gotten from other colleges they send to everyone to get them to come look</p>