Architecture

<p>Anyone have any information regarding the pre-architecture program? Any information would be great!!</p>

<p>My S, in his first year, already has taken several pre-architecture courses. One was a History of Architecture course, another was a studio course in Green/Sustainable Design (or something like that), and a third was a short (January) course in local (Colorado/Rocky Mountain) architecture. So he’s been exposed to both the studio and history side. He has been very happy with his teachers. The guy who teaches many of the studio courses is a sculptor who sounds like an interesting, fun guy. He has a studio up in the mountains and seems to do a lot of field work with his students. One of their projects was to draw lots with the name of a major world city on it, then come up with a design for a WalMart that reflects local design patterns. A kid who drew the name of an Indian city designed a Taj Mahal Mart, for example. The main teacher on the history side, according to my son, is an extremely knowledgeable expert on baroque architecture. He thought he learned a great deal from her course. Now he is trying to get into an urban architecture course that is taught next year off site at the Newberry Library in Chicago (a city famous for its architectural landmarks). That’s an example of what the Block Plan allows you to do (in this case, go off to do field work in a distant city without any concern about conflict with other courses.) </p>

<p>You realize that pre-architecture is not a major, right? Like pre-med, it’s basically a set of courses recommended as preparation for a graduate professional program in architecture (typically a Masters of Architecture degree program.) You can major in Studio Art, Art History, Environmental Science, etc. I think the Environmental Science program at CC sounds quite good.</p>

<p>Wow… that sounds amazing! Thank you. And yes, I do realize it’s not a major per say, rather a track within the studio art department… my parents were slightly spooked about how not getting a professional degree might effect me… I know that if you make the right choices as an undergrad continuing on to Grad school isn’t terribly difficult. I was just curious as to whether or not such choices were available.</p>