Are all Hispanics considered under represented minorities (URMs)

Hi, my parents are both white Argentinians (born and bred) but I was born here in the US after they settled. I am a bit confused as to whether or not colleges consider South Americans under represented minorities for purposes of admissions preferences. I have read that some colleges only consider Puerto Ricans and Mexicans to be URMs (as far as preferences for Hispanics are concerned). This seems like it is especially true at the hyper selective schools (MIT mentions this on their web site). Any feedback would be appreciated.

Also, is this the case at Ivies and Stanford?

You should look at your GPA and SAT/ACT scores and apply to matches and safeties that go along with those scores…and go for a couple of reaches too. If you are a NHRP apply to those schools that give extra money.
Nobody knows to that level of detail if you get any preferences.

There is a big difference between a match and a safety for an URM and a match and a safety for regular applicant. MIT states that they will accept every qualified Mexican, Puerto Rican, AA, and NA. They certainly don’t accept every qualified applicant. All Hispanic applicants at MIT are not created equal. What I am asking is if this is the case at all other schools, particularly Ivies. For example, at Tulane, all Hispanics are treated as URMs. My scores are well within the averages at any of the Ivies, but the averages are skewed by special admits, URMs, etc. This is why I am asking.

We have been doing similar research being of Cuban descent. Based on what we have found so far I doubt that Argentinean would be considered an Hispanic URM. The previous definition from the AAMC only mentioned Mexican Americans and mainland Puerto Ricans and I think that part still holds.

Gr8One, I think that you may be correct for medical school. However what I have learned so far with regard to undergraduate schools is that there is quite a divergence in the URM definition for Hispanics. It would be nice to see a list by school. I have a Chilean friend that was flown all expenses paid to Tulane for a visit. And he was not low SES, though he had very good stats.

Interesting. We have discussed this with 2 public Midwestern schools so far. Since schools don’t seem to define it on their own, the two schools we spoke to said they follow the medical school definition for undergrad scholarships for URM.
Hope it works out for you argentinaforever but I recommend going in with realistic expectations that you (and we) probably would not qualify.

Best of luck, and Viva Messi!

Huh? “MIT states that they will accept every qualified Mexican, Puerto Rican, AA, and NA.” I’d love to see that from MIT, not have to go looking for it myself.

If you mark Hispanic, they will note it. That’s all. No guarantees, especially if a kid has little connection to Hispanic culture or hasn’t shown the competitive strengths (which is more than simply “qualified.”)

Okay, folks. here’s what MITChris actually wrote:
“As for the “preferential admission of certain racial/ethnic groups”: it is not as simple as that in our process. We do not simply admit a person because they are qualified and black, or hispanic, or so forth. It is a question, as David has posted, as what have you made of your resources. A student who has a certain racial or ethnic group and has made no more use of their resources than a student of another racial or ethnic group is not more likely to be admitted.”

You just have to watch you process certain notions. Especially when you think you want to aim high, where this processing is a critical asset.

Take a look at this: http://old.mitadmissions.org/topics/schools/what_we_look_for/index.shtml I’m not looking to get into a debate about minorities. For example, there are very very few African Americans with MIT level stats (for whatever reason). If you are AA and you have the stats, you are in to MIT. Take a look at the results threads here if you need any confirmation. The stats for AA admits are very low for MIT. This appears to be the case for Mexicans and Puerto Ricans too regardless of economics. The system is clearly not fair. All I’m trying to figure out is to which schools the “unfairness” also applies to South Americans like me. I am not counting on anything, but I also know that at some schools, I am considered an URM. I just don’t know which ones! I have a bunch of Mexican friends who are quite well off and believe me they know that they get a huge bump in the process (at least as strong as recruited athletes or legacies).

I think you are over-interpreting “academically qualified.” Some people latch on to some comments that 80% or more applicants (to whatever schools) are “qualified.” Maybe they are, maybe they dug in and took rigor and did well and have a nce record of engagements. But in the admissions context, what sets kids apart is more than quantitative or doing well in hs. It reaches into the personal assets. All the top schools with plenty more apps than seats can cherry pick.

I thought your original question was as much about your own chances at elites and whether you’d be considered Hispanic. Mark that you are Hispanic, if you are, and they will record that. It’s good you’re reading the site (and the blogs, I hope.) MIT is one of the more open schools about what they like. But you have to interpret your record against that (on a college level, not just your hs.) And then, do a solid job with the app, itself.

If you tick the box, then that’s how the school will count you. The school wants numbers.

I think that MIT probably defines “qualified” as SAT math at 700 or better and top 10% of high school class with corresponding numbers, recommendations, and ECs, at least based of the self reported Hooked URMs that post here. Those numbers aren’t anywhere close enough to be admitted unhooked but are probably high enough to survive at MIT, especially if one transfers to one of the softer humanities type majors. I started this thread to find out if anyone knew if being a South American Hispanic is considered an URM.

MIT is the only top school I know of that specifies which Hispanics they treat as URMs. All the others seem to count South Americans as URMs (I know white students of SA descent who are invited to diversity admit weekends), but the extent to which any Hispanic is given preference is based on a variety of factors (SES, parents’ level of edu., etc). Students of PR and MA origin are the most sought-after by top colleges since we unfortunately have the lowest rates of college attendance compared to our population in the U.S.

I find it very hard to believe that Mexicans and Puerto Ricans are worse represented than Hondurans, Guatemalans, or Nicaraguans who are routinely discriminated against. While SES and 1st gen absolutely should be a factor, who is deciding these things? There and plenty of affluent Mexicans and Puerto Ricans that appear to be getting a huge boost over other “non-preferred” Hispanics, many of who faced just as significant hurdles.

White Hispanic here. Denied EA to MIT with following stats: SAT 2280 BIO 740 Math 730 ACT 34 and GPA 3.9 school does not rank
Look at percentages. WashUSL just over 4% Hispanic population and looking to increase #. LACs have much higher population too than Ivies and looking to stay that way. (Amherst 12%) Rhyme or reason unknown; each school has own reasons.

Also, some schools use programs like the Posse Program to help source disadvantaged URMs, so have that as a resource to help boost numbers. So, you may see these less interested in giving URMs applying outside such programs a bump relative to some other schools. For example, Middlebury has 3 posses a year for a total of 30 students. That gives them a good start to getting their target URM percentage.
https://www.possefoundation.org/our-university-partners/participating-schools

OP, for the record, I believe that comment in the 9 link was by Marilee Jones, who left in 2007. (There’s an article which references her saying it.) The link is to the old site. I don’t see anything recent that limits the definition. The older links to the quote in CC now lead to this: http://mitadmissions.org/apply/process/match

If you’e aiming for an elite, ime, the background question is how engaged in and formed by the family culture, and any related present issues, is this applicant? Ie, the context for your achievements, your sense of identity, the challenges you took on and your triumphs. Mark Hispanic/Argentinian and they will see that, in their review of your match. How you present is up to you.

SoapyMango, are you Puerto Rican or Mexican or another white Hispanic?