Are They Serious?

<p>DS received an email a couple weeks ago notifying him that he had been accepted to the Honors College. Over the weekend however, he got his financial aid notification and we found that he was given $0 by Purdue (only $5,500 in federal loans). This despite our FAFSA EFC being $30k less than COA!</p>

<p>What is the point in offering a student an Honors program if you then clearly make it unaffordable? Do they honestly expect students to borrow $30k per year, even more if we cannot come up with what they determine our family can afford?</p>

<p>I called the FA office to confirm that there was no mistake. I was also told that there is no appeal or review process. She did not know anything about the Honors College selection process, but indicated that she often deals with upset admitted students.</p>

<p>That’s interesting! My son received the exact same amount, $5500 in federal loans at 6.8%, is 6.8% supposed to be a good rate?</p>

<p>Are there any other aid packages, possible scholarships for engineering?</p>

<p>I’m in the same boat: $5,500 in loans, over 30k need. I emailed them a while back (early March) before they awarded any aid and they said that they would finalize awards early April. I’m hoping they didn’t finish early and will still be giving out grants or scholarships.</p>

<p>That really is weird!
I was accepted in Purdue’s nursing major a couple months ago, and I received my Financial Aid information a couple days ago. As an out-of-state applicant, I received $25K in grants/scholarships and about $7.5K in loans. I was also offered into Honors.</p>

<p>However, my household’s EFC was extremely low (about $13k), and I believe that pulled a lot of weight in my personal financial aid offer.
I also think the amount of financial aid offered may have to do with when your child applied, and possibly the major he/she chose. For example, (1) personally, though I was accepted as a nursing major, I do not believe that my department is as popular or as demanded as some others, like engineering, which, for some engineering majors, Purdue holds a single digit national ranking. Applying for such a major may have put a stump to your child’s financial aid considerations. (2) It was a requirement for me, as a nursing major, to apply for admission by November 15th, 2012 (which i barely managed to do). Thus there was more time for financial aid reviewers to look over my financial information.</p>

<p>However, this is just my thought and might possibly be wrong, but they might be some reason why as to why your child didnt receive as much financial aid. </p>

<p>Though only $5500, in loans nonetheless, is weird…</p>

<p>Purdue can’t meet 100% need with being a state school. However, getting into honors without scholarship offers is quite odd.</p>

<p>To the OP:
A sincere congratulation on your son’s acceptance to Purdue and to the Honors College!</p>

<p>The following isn’t intended to be snarky, but will hopefully help other students following in your footsteps…</p>

<p>Yes, they are serious.</p>

<p>You asked, “What is the point in offering a student an Honors program if you then clearly make it unaffordable?”
The Honors College has no knowledge that Purdue is unaffordable for your family. They don’t know your EFC, if you have college savings, or if a wealthy relative might foot the bill. Admissions and the Honors College are completely different departments than the Department of Financial Aid and Bursar’s Office. Admissions/Honors College personnel don’t call over to the DFA to ask what a particular student’s estimated or final EFC is. Well, perhaps they do on rare occasions, but definitely not for every student. It would be too time consuming. When you called and “she did not know anything about the Honors College selection process,” that should have been a big clue that the Admission/Honors College folks do not communicate in that way.</p>

<p>You asked, “Do they honestly expect students to borrow $30k per year, even more if we cannot come up with what they determine our family can afford?”
No. First of all, students cannot borrow $30k per year without a co-signer. Students are only allowed to borrow up to the federal loan limits of $5,500 for freshman year, $6,500 for sophomore year, $7,500 for junior year and $7,500 for senior year. Co-signing or having the parents borrow $30k per year for 4 years would be crazy, IMHO. Purdue expects the family to come up with their EFC through past (savings), present (current monies earned from one or two working parents and a working student), and future (loans) earnings.</p>

<p>I am guessing your student is an out-of-state applicant (from Kentucky?). I am too. State schools, such as Purdue, cannot afford to fund need-based financial aid for OOS students. They charge a yearly nonresident supplement of ~$18,800.00 for a reason. Think about it, why should Indiana residents, who have been funding Purdue, help pay for an OOS student who hasn’t been contributing. However, they do entice OOS students with merit-based financial aid…it all depends on meeting the application scholarship consideration date, stats, major, and how much they want you. If they don’t show you the love and the school is unaffordable, look elsewhere!</p>

<p>I agree with naturaldisaster that it is strange that your son was accepted into the Honors College without a merit-based Trustees or Presidential scholarship. Did he apply by the deadline? If he missed it, that might be a reason why he received the invitation but not the scholarship. Assuming he made the deadline, I think I would call the Honors College and inquire as to whether a mistake was possibly made.</p>

<p>Good luck to your son and your family as you make these difficult decisions.</p>