Are you rising juniors sure that you want to take IB?

As a senior, I reflect on how much time I invested into IB. Yes… it helped me become more involved in my community, well rounded me with CAS but at times it could be stressful. I believe these are some disadvantages of IB.I ended up going to the same college as many other American students. I feel as if now is not the time for American students to be taking IB unless they plan to study abroad.

IB math SL vs PAP Precalculus:
Math SL did not cover specific topics as thoroughly a normal precalculus class. This was especially the case for AP Calculus BC and the Math 2 subject test. I had a great teacher, but he was limited by the curriculum of math SL. While most of my friends settled with perfect 800s on their level 2 math, I had a 750. AP Calculus was also difficult as I had to catch up on precalculus topics that weren’t covered during SL.

Inflexible schedules, too many conflicts:
I went to my coordinator to set a schedule that I would follow until the end of my senior year. What I regret most is being unable to take Physics C, Computer Science or Chemistry. I didn’t express much of an interest in Physics as a junior, only wanting to get my physics credit over with. I did become interested in Physics, so much that I wanted to take Physics C and another science. However, the school’s IB/AP Chemistry teacher retired. I was not allowed to take that class as there was no proper instructor. If I wasn’t in IB, I could settle for the non-IB trained AP instructor. IB biology could not be taken concurrently with Physics C either. Both were 1st period, posing a huge problem. If I stuck with AP biology, I would have been able to take the class 4,5 or 6th period. As a result, I was unable to take the Physics subject test. I was able to take Physics 1 online but it was not sufficient enough to prepare for the subject test.

If you are considering staying in the US for college, please dont sign up for IB. You wont be guarantee credit for all those exams you took. AP has more flexibility and is given the same weight as IB for less work.

I’m also a recent high school graduate, and I completed the full IB Diploma. While I understand your concerns with IB - yes, there is inflexibility in your schedule, there are different curriculums, etc. - I have to disagree with you on the whole “don’t do IB” advice. While you might have had certain frustrations with it, I don’t think your problems with the program apply to everyone.

Regarding Math SL - I had several friends at my school who took AP Calculus BC our junior year, and they took IB Math SL our senior year because they did not want to do Math HL. Every single one of them said that the class was virtually the same as AP Calc The IB and AP teachers even say the curriculums are extremely similar. While you may have received a slightly lower score on your SAT Subject test, that doesn’t automatically mean that AP math > IB math. I have higher ACT math scores than a lot of my friends who did AP - does that mean that IB is automatically better than AP? Not at all.

Your scheduling conflicts can hardly be blamed on the IB program - that all has to do with your school and their offered schedules. However, I see your point. IB is a somewhat rigid program and you can’t always take every single class you want to.

This is my advice to students debating between IB and AP: look at the programs that are more successful at YOUR high school. If the IB program at your school doesn’t have a huge success rate, consider that as a disadvantage. If you are going to a high school with amazing AP teachers with great AP score histories, then AP might be the better option. There are TONS of IB vs. AP discussions out there - the truth is, they’re both rigorous, college-level programs that will get you to where you need to be. They are both difficult and you WILL be challenged. In the end, you just need to look at what is better for YOU, and you will be heavily impacted by your personal teachers and your school, so make sure to consider that.

I heard the course recs changed alot!? idk …what changes were made? i want to take it but i hear i may not be able to take honors physics and that is kind of part of my plan

It sounds like your school’s IB program wasn’t well organized.

I am glad our school has IB Precalculus and our IB students generally manage to take a few AP courses and still earn the diploma.

Many advanced students like and need the extra work and the challenge.

If you go to college in the USA, you do not need IB. They have recently done a brilliant marketing job on parents and that is the reason they are getting so much attention. Just because you are stressed and busy, does not mean you are learning more. If you want to go to college in Europe, do IB. If you are in the US, want to go to college in the US, AP is fine–show rigor any way you choose. If you only have access to IB, go for it. If you only have access to AP do not feel that you are cheated out of something better. It isn’t better, just different.

@MomOD4 is correct in saying that AP and IB both show rigor, but I think it’s funny whenever somebody says “IB is only good if you want to go to school out of the country”. Not true at all - both AP and IB are difficult programs, and both are highly regarded by US universities. Schools don’t prefer one over the other. When you apply to college, your counselor is supposed to check if you completed the most advanced courses offered at your school - counselors check “yes” for both IB and AP, and that’s what colleges care about. You need to pick the program that is right for you.

In case people think “IB is only good when you’re going to school out of the country”: I received acceptance to several highly selective schools with an IB Diploma. I have several classmates who received Ivy acceptances with IB. The school I chose is giving me and automatic 24 credits just for getting the IB Diploma, and I am exempt from additional classes just for receiving a 4 (out of 7) on any exam. It’s allowing me to start college as a sophomore, which is giving me the opportunity to double major and still graduate in 4 years.

@cug2019 I haven’t signed on in a while! Wanted to reply to you!

Congrats to you, on your acceptances. AND best of luck to you in college!

My son’s first year in college was last year and he took 34 credits with him due to AP classes in high school. He also started as a sophomore is also attempting a double major in four years. SO --Congrats to both of you!

Incidentally, I am a credentialed teacher. I taught overseas in International Schools as well as here in the USA. My youngest of 4 starts high school this year. I see students and parents very confused over AP v IB. I even see some hysteria sometimes! My intention wasn’t to diminish anyone’s accomplishments in IB. It is absolutely true that they are equal in the eyes of college admissions offices in the USA. If your school only offers one program, and you want to show rigor, take whichever one you have…