Art major admissions at BC?

I’m planning on applying to BC as a studio art major because my art portfolio is much stronger than my academic record and I’m hoping that I can apply (ED) as an art major then transfer into the psychology program. Does anyone know how competitive the art program admission is? Do I have a better chance of getting in this way, or am I kicking myself in the foot by doing this?
For reference, my stats are: 4.2 weighted GPA, 33 ACT, 1400 SAT, some leadership roles and 5 AP classes (including AP art).

My daughter is also a visual artist (taking IB Studio Art) and likely applying early (ED 1 or 2) to BC or Tufts. We researched the art programs at both schools before she decided not to pursue art as a major (her academic creds are stronger than her art portfolio). According to BC’s published data, since 2018 fewer than 5 students per year graduate with a Studio Art degree. While BC values an active arts community, it doesn’t seem like they’ve invested heavily in the Studio Art department. So my guess is that applying as a Studio Art major is a good strategy, but may not give you a huge bump. Still, your stats are strong and BC seems to value ED. Compelling essays, including what you will contribute to the BC Arts community, will certainly help.

3 Likes

Have you done a BC virtual or in-person admission session? If not, you do need to do that. There, you would learn that BC doesn’t admit by major (even tho the common app has one choose a major)…BC just admits to one of their 4 schools. Students in Morrissey (where the studio arts major is) don’t have to declare a major until end of soph year.

You can choose studio art as your major on common app and submit an art portfolio through slideroom to distinguish yourself. If you are accepted, you would be accepted to Morrissey, not as a studio art major within Morrissey…meaning you could declare any major in Morrissey through the end of soph year.

Morrissey admit rate for Class of 2025 was 19%.

1 Like