Asian/Male/Junior/NJ [3.2 GPA, 1420 SAT, earth and planetary sciences / environmental geology]

Thanks for the response. It’s +1 for both honors and AP. I got very few As and mostly Bs in honors and AP courses.

Ok. My answer stands. Thx

If you’re willing to consider Massachusetts, I would also look at Stonehill which has several opportunities to work on research at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

Dickinson College would be a great target school for your interests in the environment and music.

I am sorry to come to this thread late! As usual AustenNut gave you some superb advice with his extensive list of schools.

I know more about Salisbury University, so just want to put in a particular plug that you take a serious look there. Geography is quite strong there - they offer majors in Geology/earth science as well as straight Geography, and also GIS - with courses such as remote sensing (and a masters program in GIS as well). The current dean of sciences is a geographer. The department hits high above their weight, and regularly sends students to graduate programs. The community is good, and you would get superb mentoring in small courses with dedicated faculty. There are also strong associated programs in Environmental Studies and Biology - Princeton Review just named Salisbury one of its top 50 Green Schools.

I know several NJ families who found Salisbury to be cheaper than in-state NJ options, once scholarships were included. Salisbury would be a good safety school for you - but if you visit, you might actually prefer it to more famous institutions, given your interests.

(Also - Clark U. in Massachusetts has a famous geography program and generous scholarships - it is a “College the Changes Lives” if you want to look for more info).

2 Likes

My kid had a 3.3/1530 and got into Rutgers NB last year for CS (both into arts and sciences and into engg) . So Rutgers seems possible. He also got into Penn State and UPitt engg tor CS. So those are close by publics that are plausible for you.

I think the gpa is more determinative than sat.
The gpa is UW. Don’t know the weighted GPA. We didn’t calculate. Maybe 9 APs and 5 Honors.

1 Like

What do you mean arts and sciences [valve-cover-gasket]

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.