Ask a current student!

<p>If you don’t want to party much, like wis75 said, you obviously don’t have to. If you would like less of a party atmosphere I would recommend the Lakeshore dorms, or perhaps Chadbourne if you would like to be in the Southeast area. However, you will find people who share your interests wherever you go; there are people who party and don’t party in every dorm. There is also a substance-free house which I believe changes each year.</p>

<p>It’s up to you to make friends, also, as wis75 said. You will meet people in your major as the year goes on and you take classes related to your major. If you make an effort to meet the people in your dorm and in classes, you will be fine. Joining organizations on campus helps as well. Trust me, if you don’t sit in your room all the time and make an effort, you will make friends. You can’t expect the school to do it for you, though.</p>

<p>I have had no problems with traffic. Just walk when the sign says “walk,” don’t walk when it doesn’t. It can be busy at times but I have never been seriously inconvenienced by traffic when walking.</p>

<p>I’m a current Freshman living in Lucky… and I definitely can say I’ve met so many awesome people here so far! The spirit here is incredible, the people here are incredible, and the academics are incredible! As long as you don’t lock yourself in your room… you WILL meet people. </p>

<p>For those worrying about partying… it does really exist in almost all of the dorms, but I would say that Lakeshore has a tendency to be a bit quieter. Most of my friends from HS live in Chadbourne and I would say it’s fairly mixed on partying/not partying, but again… you have the ultimate choice to do whatever you please. </p>

<p>And as Wis75 said, Greek life is NOT big here… I have visited some of the houses (mainly for social parties/etc.), but I know quite a few people who haven’t even been to the Frats/Sororities… It can be a lot of fun and you can probably meet a lot of people (honestly you can meet people anywhere), but most people are not a part of it.</p>

<p>Just accepted by UW. Questions:

1. I did not select schools. How hard it is to get into Business, Biology?
  2. What is the percentage graduate within 4, 5, 6 years?
  3. Which dorm would be good?
    Thanks in advance for your guidance.</p>

<p>Link to Wisconsin School of Business Undergraduate Admissions:</p>

<p>[Undergraduate</a> Program - Admissions, School of Business, University of Wisconsin - Madison](<a href=“http://www.bus.wisc.edu/undergraduate/admissions/]Undergraduate”>http://www.bus.wisc.edu/undergraduate/admissions/)</p>

<p>During the semester that you are completing the 4 prerequisite courses, which are included in the 24 credits required to complete on campus, you can apply to the business school. For a current senior in H.S. this could mean that you enter UW-Madison for fall 2011, you apply to the business school by April 1, 2012 and you find out by June 30, 2012 if you have been accepted for fall 2012 (beginning of your 2nd year).</p>

<p>Look at the statistics only for the sophomore admission from the link above: you’ll see that the average UW-Madison GPA is 3.5 and that 67% of applicants were accepted from students who applied by April 1, 2010.</p>

<p>Here is more info for you:</p>

<p>[Admissions</a> criteria for prospective high school students](<a href=“http://www.bus.wisc.edu/undergrad/admissions/highschool.asp]Admissions”>http://www.bus.wisc.edu/undergrad/admissions/highschool.asp)</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.bus.wisc.edu/undergrad/2008_Bus_Curriculum.pdf[/url]”>http://www.bus.wisc.edu/undergrad/2008_Bus_Curriculum.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Very helpful, Madison85. THX and Happy Holidays!</p>

<p>Also bio (actually there is no just “bio” dept.) and most majors have no special requirements. You just declare the major. I’d estimate fewer than 20% of all majors have extra admissions apps or requirements. </p>

<p>[url=&lt;a href=“http://www.biology.wisc.edu/]Biology@Wisconsin[/url”&gt;http://www.biology.wisc.edu/]Biology@Wisconsin[/url</a>]</p>

<p>Great information. THX. </p>

<p>Is there a case where the available slots are “full” for a popular program? Any quota for certain programs like Business or Bio-related sciences? How easy is it to change a major if you find later on the original major is not what you wanted?</p>

<p>Wisconsin School of Business: admissions are based on how many people graduated the previous ‘semester’ (soon to be ‘year’, as they move to one admission cycle from two), since there is a fixed number of total students in the WSOB.</p>

<p>Easy to change to any non-capped program. All science and liberal arts programs are uncapped. Main capped programs are business, creative writing, journalism, education, nursing, some engineering majors (bio eng the most) and music. There might be a couple others but that’s most of them.</p>

<p>This is great information, Madison85 & Barrons! </p>

<p>Where can I find information on Capped Programs? Since I have not decided on what I am going to be doing for my life, it is very important for me to know before committing to UW.</p>

<p>There is a complete easy to use list of all majors and requirements to get into them. Also notes which ones offer a 4 year graduation guarantee agreement which is a newer deal.</p>

<p>[UW-Madison:</a> Entrance Requirements for Undergraduate Majors](<a href=“Guide < University of Wisconsin-Madison”>Guide < University of Wisconsin-Madison)</p>

<p>Holly Macaroni! This is very interesting…THX a lot. I need to dig deeper into this. As you said, we must read everything before sign our names under the dotted line…</p>

<p>The list Barrons linked to is not current for the Wisconsin School of Business. The competitive application process begins for most people during the semester in which the applicant will complete the 4 prerequisites and 24 credits in residence (not upon completion of 54 credits).</p>

<p>All dorms are good- you have to do some selection homework for the one you like best- see recent UW threads for info.</p>

<p>Don’t worry about percent graduating when deciding on UW. You can graduate in 3, 4, 5…years depending on what you decide to do. Can take 3 years if you enter with a lot of AP credits. Can take more than 4 years if you change majors or add majors (do a double major) or if you take fewer credits each semester, such as when working. </p>

<p>Everyone is admitted to the university as a whole. Getting into some majors is as discussed in above posts. </p>

<p>Don’t overthink things. Sometimes a person can focus on some details and ignore the overall picture. Some will choose another school if they want a program more than they want the school, some will feel they will get their major.</p>

<p>Once admitted you will have time next spring to rethink your choices and finally decide.</p>

<p>@WIS75, THX for the advise. I really like the school. Or would not have applied. It is my top 3 schools. Just need to know everythng about it and then make the right decision. This is one of three or four important decisions one has to make in live. Can’t do it with eyes closed. That is all.</p>

<p>Watch out for being too intense about it. Sometimes you have to go with your “gut feeling” once you have your short list. You can overanalyze some details and lose the big picture. No school is perfect, there will always be flaws in how some things are done. Make a list of pros and cons for each choice and go with the best fit based on priorities. </p>

<p>Find time to enjoy your senior year.</p>

<p>Great, Guys! Thanks again.</p>

<p>A question.
I heard dorm registration is due Feb 1st. I don’t know whether I was admitted or not; yet. but what if I don’t hear from them by Feb 1? I’m an international</p>

<p>Every admitted student gets a due date on their Res Halls housing application form- the date depends on your acceptance date. The “Feb 1st” date was for a specific student. This student has a lot of time to respond probably because they got their acceptance already and Res Halls doesn’t need to know how many plan on livining there until then.</p>

<p>Assuming you are accepted by UW- Once accepted, students usually have a contract response due date at least 2 weeks after their acceptance- but check the date on your forms when they come. If you feel your written contract acceptance won’t arrive at Res Halls by your due date (overseas mail can be slow) an email to Res Halls telling them your response is on the way will help you.</p>

<p>Also, once admitted, do feel free to ask UW and Res Halls questions via emails. The UW website has many addresses listed. International students- check the information for international students, a lot of help there.</p>