"Coastie" Question

<p>Ok, I live in California and I am considering applying to UW. I have done some reading on the campus and the surrounding area and it sounds fantastic. At the beginning of my college search I wasn't even really considering midwest schools, though UW hss really caught my eye with solid academics and sports. I do have a concern however concerning the divide between scoonies and coasties. ( Im sure I mispelled that) It sounds people just poke fun at each other, but are locals seriously prejudiced against coasties and would it hurt my experience? I also wonder how it would effect greek life as I plan to rush. So any comments on what its really like would help a lot as I am very interested.
PS Is it possible to rush as a frosh or do you have to do dorms for a year?</p>

<p>First of all, don't let the "coastie" issue bother you- it has been applied in the past to some students who have chosen the older private dorms and in some ways isolated themselves from the general campus culture. Those from either coast who live with the rest of the students from the Midwest are not coasties. Freshmen need to have housing by the time they arrive, which always involves signing a contract for at least the school year, whether it be Res Halls (the public dorms, best choice), or a private dorm or apartment. There are no rules about needing to live on campus. Also, the Greek system exists but isn't a major player on campus (except to the typically less than 10% who bother with it) and they do their rush in the fall I think. UW is a very liberal campus with many diverse ways to be a student. Compare it to UC Berkeley in that regard.</p>

<p>There are some instate kids who have a problem with some out of state kids no matter where they choose to live. I think it's a small but real number probably in the 5-10% range. They are somewhat upset by the style the Coasties bring to Madison which can involve spending more money on stylish clothing, driving expensive cars, and other elements of more conspicuous consumption and different values. All other major midwest schools have similar groups and tensions. It's not a big deal.</p>

<p>I do not think it's a big problem nor will it impact your life at UW. You can either join the Coastie subset or any other of the other groups on campus from the conter-culture remnants to the geeky gamers and such.</p>

<p>"Coasties" surfacing at Indiana U too.</p>

<p>From</a> Bloomingdale's to Bloomington - WSJ.com</p>

<p>Ok that sounds good, I was just at berkeley two days ago for their game in fact heh.
I just wanted to make sure I would not be considered an outsider or anything there. If I do choose to go there I would go dorms then probably frats after that. Another question, whats the main mode of transportation. I haven't visited as of yet and am curious about it especially come winter time with all the snow. Oh one last thing, how spread out are the classes... could I easily just walk I would imagine?</p>

<p>Feet, bikes, bus, motor scooters all in large numbers. I usually walked, end when I lived far away (2 miles+). You get a free bus pass. Scooters are uniquely popular. They are everywhere.</p>

<p>Walking is your most likely mode. The hills are not mts like Berkeley- had a chance to see that campus a few years ago (the UW stadium has no fault lines anywhere near it either). Do a Google Earth and street view of the campus. They allow 15 minutes between classes, but that would only be hard if you (unlikely) had classes at opposite ends of campus (my unusual once in 8 semesters elective experience). There are paths between buildings and outdoor stairs due to hills that are easiest on foot. They clear any snow often- including sidewalks. Parking is expensive and the only available spots are pretty much inconvenient- the relatively few commuters with cars would likely park in the infamous lot 60, at the far west end of campus, and walk, take a free campus bus to get to classes like everyone else. Footwear for snow- son hasn't worn his boots since grade school, just shoes are worn in all weather by many. Dinner trays make good sleds near the lakeshore dorms and on Bascom Hill. Hoofers, at the Memorial Union on the lake, has sailboats and kayaks- something you won't find in Berkeley.</p>

<p>Rethink your frat ideas- you most likely discover a full life without one wherever you attend college, you do not want to limit yourself to that group of people. At UW you likely would find yourself in an apt after your first or second year (can be cheaper than the dorms).</p>

<p>Is the greek scene at UW cliquish or something? I have asked people from other universities and they say they love their frat. The whole situatiln seems like it would potentially create tight bonds ands apts sound a bit isolated idk. I would certainly figure it out when I got there. </p>

<p>So people where like tennis shoes in the snow? The whole thing concerning walking sounds good too, didn't want to take shuttle everywhere. Are people at UW physically active?</p>

<p>Wis75 hates Greeks and private dorms as some sort of anti-populist conspiracy. Take it with a big grain of salt. </p>

<p>Some other sites have lots of UW student interviews</p>

<p>Okay lol, he seemed VERY down on it which contrasted with reviews I have read. I appreciate you answering my question though Wis.</p>

<p>The campus and city are incredibly active. Wis75 continues to get more and more blatantly ignorant in his commentary as time goes on. Some things he hits spot-on, others he makes himself sound like a closed-minded fool. First private housing, now he's anti-Greek.</p>

<p>I rushed the Greek system, and absolutely love it. As in anything else in life, moderation is key. Some people go into Greek Life and it's all they do, they run their house, do only socials with their friends in the Greek system, fail to get outside of it. For them, that's fine. Personally, I needed more balance and elected not to live in, but do socials with my house when I choose. I still maintain healthy friendships inside and out-of the Greek system. About 10% of the campus is Greek, which is a small-ish number (4,000 people). Many members (especially sororities) are out-of-state students, but you definitely have concentrations and certain houses that are more Midwestern in nature. The Greek system is interesting. The rush process is way laid-back for guys, it's completely regimented for girls. Most always end up in a house they're happy with (even if it doesn't seem like it at first) it usually plays out well.</p>

<p>You can read up on how active the city and campus are in countless magazines and all over the internet. It's constantly rated amongst the most physically active cities in the country, #1 bicycling city every year, sexiest city, most romantic city, all that. It's fun.</p>

<p>Okay I am happy to hear about a positive experience with Greeks. I think I would live in a house, but thats subject to change.</p>

<p>Concerning the city/ environment, thats what has really got me interested in UW. Up till about 2 weeks ago I was only applying to CA schools and didn't even consider the midwest due to stereotypes about it. However after reading tons of great reviews about campus life and academics, it has reached my #2 choice behind Berkeley. Thanks for comments thus far.</p>

<p>Note the small Greek presence, fine for those few who choose it, but the vast majority doesn't and it is easy to forget they exist. You don't need a frat to have close friends and a good social life. Regarding the public dorms- they fill every year, regardless of students' income, OOS students are there, too. Yes, I'm egalitarian. Brains count a lot more for elitism than nonacademics. Barrons has his own foibles, likewise with the grains of salt for him. I'm an instate mother/alumnus of a jr/sr (3rd year) who gets to Madison several times a year. As I have stated in the past- you can think of UW in terms of the blind men and the elephant- each sees a different aspect and forms different conclusions. The campus is plenty big enough for all kinds of people.</p>

<p>Nobody "needs" a frat/sorority or a private dorm but constantly putting them down as though you will miss some important aspect of the UW college experience is simply misinformation and falls into the area of unsubstantiated opinion. Having an inherent prejudice against people with more money and maybe a different outlook is very narrow-minded. I suggest you take a look at the student interviews from the U<em>N</em>I<em>G</em>O site to see how some real UW current UW students feel about both life in and out of the Greek system at UW. Many seemed to enjoy it and find it valuable.</p>

<p>Okay thanks I actually have been looking at the site and there are some very positive in-depth reviews. As a matter of fact I actually recommended that site to a guy the other day and got a warning from a mod lol. Anyway thanks for the advice</p>

<p>Barrons- we probably have more money than you do as well as most of the students' parents as we used our brains plus hard work as physicians. Lifestyle choices- MOST, meaning around 90% of UW students, are NOT involved in the Greek system. This is reflected in the campus culture. There is room for those who choose it, but incoming students need to realize a full college life typically does not involve frats. HS students have preconceptions about college life, belonging to Greek organizations is a typical one. It is important for potential students to realize that at UW, unlike some schools, the Greeks do not dominate the social life of the campus. </p>

<p>Also, there are plenty of people with money who live in Res Halls- it is a good experience to meet smart people who also need work study and those people won't be found in the most expensive housing. There are also OOS students from all over who choose to mingle with the locals in the public dorms. This happened eons ago and is still happening. Some of those in the private housing freshman year couldn't get into the dorms as they were full (and in recent years some landlords lobbied against the plans to build more public dorms, dorms that are self supporting through residents' fees). Again, it is important for incoming students to realize the campus does not divide itself into rich people in private dorms and the rest in the public ones. Res Halls has an excellent meal plan, good locations and other reasons to live in them.</p>

<p>As a large campus there are many different ways to be a student at UW. Room for all sorts of religious, political, social, athletic, academic, you name it lifestyles. Many subcultures. Many opportunities to try on different personas and evolve.</p>

<p>Well I have enough $$$ so we'll just leave it at that. You don't need to be a doctor to make a good living. I am well aware of the stats for frats at UW. If you were not in one what do you actually know about it anyway? It's a free choice and if someone has an interest in it I would not discourage them. That's all I said. Your negativity toward them is based on what exactly? They easily do as well or better than other UW grads and I know in the business world many good connections go back to frat days. Especially here in Seattle where most UWash grads tend to stay and work in the area.<br>
The fact that UW does not give OOS kids equal access to the dorms to me says OOS kids do not owe them any special priority when choosing housing. If they want to live in the dorms and get in fine, and if they choose to prefer the private ones that's called free choice and I support that. I just don't discourage people from choosing them if they wish. I doubt they miss out on much as you meet many people outside of the dorms. With most people moving off campus after one year the importance of dorms at all is pretty minimal. And most people rate the UW dorm food average at best. </p>

<p>Your premise that you only meet a good cross-section of students by living one year in the public dorms is just BS. A full college life involves whatever you want it to. For thousands of kids having a core group of people you know well do things with helps make a big campus much more personal.</p>

<p>Here's some info from a frat I'm pretty familiar with.</p>

<p>"ZBT is the most connected fraternity at the University of Wisconsin, with brothers from Los Angeles, San Francisco Bay Area, Minneapolis, New York City, Memphis, Cincinatti, Boston, Chicago, New Jersey, Atlanta, Miami, Washington D.C., and more. These connections continue to help after college with finding jobs and settling into new cities, ZBT brothers are brothers for life. "</p>

<p>Pretty diverse group there, eh?</p>

<p>"Brothers are highly encouraged to live in our chapter house after freshman year; almost all follow this path sophomore year, and many choose to live-in again during their junior year. </p>

<p>Our house lies right on Langdon Street, one of the most popular locations in Madison. We are not far from any UW classroom and building, closer, in fact, than other fraternities. We are also a block away from State Street, the center of Madison's entertainment, along with a number of very affordable restaurants. </p>

<p>Contrary to the "Animal House" stereotype of fraternity houses, our house is a calm environment for students. In fact, most brothers find their time at the house more relaxing and productive than in the dorms. </p>

<p>Our brothers work to keep the house in excellent condition. Most of our parties are held at other locations, so the house does not see any abuse. People say our house is nicer than other fraternities or off-campus houses. </p>

<p>Arranging to live at Zeta Beta Tau is much simpler than searching individually for housing. The fraternity covers everything so you don't have to go through the search alone the second month of freshman year. Zeta Beta Tau works to construct a lease which works for every brother. Our lease is competitively priced and includes many amenities not included in the leases offered by area houses and apartments. </p>

<p>Our Academic Program
Our fraternity believes that academic achievement is the most important part of college. Zeta Beta Tau consistently earns one of the top five fraternity GPAs. In spring 2006 our brothers achieved the highest fraternity GPA on campus with 3.35. </p>

<p>Our brothers major in a wide variety of subjects, including Latin American studies, history, political science, international studies, education, business, economics, journalism, English, rhetoric, and atmospheric and oceanic sciences. </p>

<p>Zeta Beta Tau has an extensive academic program which pulls all brothers together for mutual success. Brothers with similar interests and majors collaborate and often choose to plan schedules together. Brothers often study at the libraries in groups and work together on assignments. Brothers help each other to perfect every paper and excel on every exam. </p>

<p>Our academic advisor, acting as an in-house peer mentor, assists students with the overwhelming process of class selection and registration and is available to discuss anything academic, from exam preparation to improving study habits. In addition, our brothers compile their opinions and advice on what courses to take in our chapter course list. </p>

<p>ZBT is the ONLY fraternity that does not have or promote a pledge process. New brothers are never forced to do anything that any brother wouldn't, and are not hazed by any means. The lack of a pledge process allows freshmen to become leaders as soon as they join the fraternity right from the start of their induction. In fact, freshmen are encouraged to take on leadership roles, with more than half of the most recent class taking an elected leadership role and a spot on the 5 member Executive board reserved for a freshman. </p>

<p>Future Success</p>

<p>Zeebs are known to be big names on campus. In the past four years, we have had a three-time Big Ten athlete of the week, Editor-in-Chief of the largest newspaper at UW, and brothers in highly touted student government positions. Furthermore, ZBT houses some of the smartest students at Wisconsin, having achieved the highest fraternity GPA 5 out of the past 6 semesters and our most recent rush class achieved a combined 3.8 GPA!. In fact, in our entire time being here at UW-Madison, we have always had a GPA in the top 5 of all fraternities. Upon graduation, Zeebs also have instant access to our alumni network, which can help with finding jobs, making connections, and settling into the life in the 'real world'.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>OOS kids don't have equal access to the dorms? We didn't know that. Can you, or anyone else, please elaborate? Thanks!</p>

<p>Later acceptance for OOS students in most cases. Odds are much more likely that you won't get in University Housing if you want it, if you aren't accepted soon enough.</p>

<p>Advocating for any frat is going to be very much a subjective topic. Personally, I would never fit in with ZBT (and wouldn't want to). Each house has a kind of personality and reputation, and in the end you'll want to find the one that matches you best.</p>