Ask a current student!

<p>Hi all, I'm a freshman at UW-Madison currently and I'm willing to answer any questions you may have! I live in Witte (for the moment...I'm trying to get a dorm change, but I do have a semester of experience here), I'm a psychology major, I'm active in Greek life, and I know a lot about the social life here. I have lots of friends in different dorms so I know a lot about that as well. I recognize I'm just one student with one perspective, but I think I'm a pretty good representation of the average student. So ask if you have any questions! :)</p>

<p>This is probably a really dumb question, and one I could find on wisco’s website, but is a chemistry class required for undergrads? Are there other options available to those of us who are terrible at chem?</p>

<p>Chem is NOT required :slight_smile: One of the great things about Madison is that there are so many options for every requirement. You do have to get something like six credits in physical science, but you could do something like physics or they even have BS-ish classes like studying gems if you’re not that science-y. You can even fulfill your math requirements with philosophy!</p>

<p>Many, many students do take chem though, I think it’s something many freshmen are under the impression they have to take, and advisors will put you in it if you don’t know what you want to do, since it does give you a lot of options. It’s a good class to take, I’m sure it’s helpful, but since I hate science I will probably skip chem as it is so much work and time and I’m horrible at it.</p>

<p>Why are you trying to switch dorms? I am planning to request sellery and witte as my top choices because of the social/freshman aspect.</p>

<p>Don’t worry about dorms not having freshmen, they all do. Sellery and Witte are very social, and a great place for freshmen, especially if you like to party. The way everything worked out for me is that all my friends live in Chadbourne, and I’m constantly going over there, so I want to be closer to them. The other reason is that I’m completely fed up with my roommate (who is a ***** and has attempted suicide) and I would prefer a single room. I highly recommend Sellery and Witte, they were my top choices and while I don’t mind it here, I would be happier closer to my friends, so it’s a personal choice for me.</p>

<p>what are you favorite parts about madison so far?</p>

<p>I love the general culture of Madison. It’s such a fun city, everyone loves to have a good time. I’m into the partying scene so I’m basically in heaven because there’s always something to do. But we always have other cool things going on (ex. Obama came here a few months ago!) if you’re not into that. I love that everything you could ever want is within walking distance, and there are so many cool stores and restaurants. There is also so much Badger spirit, which is just so cool to see. It’s also really LGBT-friendly, which really appeals to me personally. The only downside is the weather in my opinion. But I love it here, I’m really sad to go home over winter break!</p>

<p>The weather’s my favorite part! You’re hard-pressed to find a city that’s successfully pulled off being equally stunning during winter AND summer! So many trees, we’ve got 10-14" of snow coming over the next two days, we’re all heading out and sledding on dining trays at Liz Waters tonight. I’m a super senior and we still love it haha.</p>

<p>I couldn’t possibly describe my favorite thing about Madison–but I’m so glad I chose to come here. There’s an incredibly personal “culture” to being a Badger. It’s as if you’re inducted into a super-secret club where only those that are a part of it truly understand. </p>

<p>This year especially, I’ve never felt such pride. Possibly because I’m going to be graduating, but with the athletic successes, opening of WID, and a perfect first semester, I wouldn’t want to have spent the last four years anywhere else!</p>

<p>Do you have any freshman friends who are Engineering majors and, if so, are they seemingly enjoying themselves as much as you are?</p>

<p>Redsox - I was just accepted to Wisconsin for Fall 2011. I am from NJ and am totally confused about where to live my freshman year. Do any kids from NJ live in the dorms? I think Sellery and Witte sound like great places to live but everything I read said it’s mostly kids from Wisconsin. What do you think?</p>

<p>Hi Redsox, umm so I’m from Florida and I’m interested in going to Wisconsin, are there many out of state people? Because I’ve heard there’s some coastie vs wisconsin native type tension there. Is this true?</p>

<p>Also, do you know if Wisconsin accepts/factors IB credit?</p>

<p>JShain - I don’t know anyone in engineering currently, sorry! You probably know more about the program than I do, but I don’t know how many freshman engineering majors there are (many schools here you can only apply to after freshman year). Engineering is alive and well here at UW, many engineering majors all live near each other as Engineering Hall is a bit farther away than other buildings. (It is by the football stadium, however, and there are still good parties over there.) They also have their own frat, which is called Triangle for some reason.</p>

<p>mac1292 - Most people from New Jersey live in a private dorm called Statesider, to be honest. My sorority is composed of mainly people from that area (though I’m from Florida and grew up in Wisconsin…go figure) and they allllll live in Statesider. It’s nice there, but a bit expensive and removed from the people who are from Wisconsin. You can definitely go for the public dorms if you want to! It is mostly people from Wisconsin, but everyone is friendly. If you want to be with people from where you are though, you’re going to want Statesider.</p>

<p>ajc0918 - There’s not tension. Trust me. There are some stereotypes and jokes, but no one hates on anyone else because they are coasties or sconnies. Out of state people do tend to live in certain places (private dorms) and join certain sororities/frats, and they often go to the bars instead of parties. They also tend to dress differently. BUT no one will look down on you for being out of state and you will definitely find people like you. My sorority is almost 100% composed of people from out of state and while many of those people don’t really talk to people from Wisconsin, many do. But it’s not because they don’t like them, it’s just sort of a different culture.</p>

<p>I’m an odd case, born and raised in Wisconsin, but moved to Florida at age 12, came back, live in the public dorms but I have joined the out-of-state sorority. I’m like a mixture of coastie/sconnie lol.</p>

<p>I also do not know about IB credit, I would think so as Wisconsin is a large school, but you would have to call them or check their website.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I would definitely recommend living in the public dorms, especially the two you mentioned. I am from California and lived in Sellery last year and it was an amazing experience. It’s true, most people are from Wisconsin (But come on, the school is in Wi!). There’s no reason to exile yourself from peers because you think you might not fit in/belong. Most everyone is super nice, and honestly would not care at all if you are from NJ/are a coastie. They may crack a few jokes now and again, but it’s all in good fun. Dorms are where you are likely to find some of your best friends also. The private dorms are basically like apartments and a lot less personal. Wouldn’t have missed my freshman dorm experience for anything.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Kind of like I touched on above, being an out of stater is no big deal at all. 32% of people are from OOS here in Madison so you will be part of a strong minority. (Albeit many are from Minnesotan with their reciprocity, but still). People may make “coastie” jokes sometimes, but it is never deliberately trying to put someone down. Most people just assume I am from Wisconsin before finding out I am not. Honestly as long as you are laid back and not a prick to people or act like you are superior to others for whatever reason it is not a problem. Plus people might find it cool you live in Florida and want to visit haha.</p>

<p>mac1292 - live in the public dorms! Immerse yourself in Wisconsin! Eat cheese and brats! Seriously though, the dorms are the best way to go whether you grew up in Madison, or you are from New Jersey, or even Korea.</p>

<p>ajc0918 - Here’s a link to the IB information - you will get credit for scoring a 4 only on “higher-level” IB exams. For example a ‘4’ on the higher level IB Chemistry exam gives you 9 credits (Chemistry 103 and Chemistry 104). Read more here:</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/images/UW_IB_Policy.pdf[/url]”>http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/images/UW_IB_Policy.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>hey. I’m from New York and very few people from my school go to University of Wisconsin every year. I was wondering, since many people are from Wisconsin, does everybody kind of already come with a friend group? If I wanted to live in the public dorms, do the Wisconsin people not like New Yorkers? </p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>There are actually a lot of people who are from New York here. They do tend to live in the private dorms, but no one would treat you any differently if you wanted to live in the public dorms, everyone is very friendly. Some people do come with a friend group, but people are from so many places that you’ll make your own friends pretty quickly.</p>

<p>Hey All: Strongly agree with Mad85 and Cryto. Experience Bucky at his best and live in the University dorms. Terrific place to meet people and become a part of the great UW tradition. Dorms have a good mix of WI and OOS kids. Nothing against Statesider / Lucky or similar privates - nice places, good kids but just a little insulated from campus life. Our S is a jr at Madison and lived in Witte as a freshman. LOVED IT. His roommate that year was a great kid from South Korea. All of his best buddies now are guys he met in Witte / Sellery. As noted on other posts - Sconnie / Coastie thing way overblown. Most everyone gets along fabulously.</p>

<p>RoxSox - thanks for starting this thread. Many, many incoming students have lots of questions and its great that you’re taking the time to be a resource. Kudos.</p>

<p>Also, I know you said it earlier that the winter sucked, but is it bearable? Will I be miserable all the time or is it easy to adapt? (I’m from FL and I’m not use to the snow/cold at all lol) </p>

<p>Oh and is their meal plan worth buying?</p>