Ask a Graduating Senior Anything!

Hey all! I’m a senior at UM graduating in the spring, majoring in marine science, biology, and math. As I have gained so much from this forum, I’ve decided to give back. Ask me anything and I’ll try to answer as best as I can!

MODERATOR’S NOTE: Anyone is free to ask or answer questions in this thread. The reason can be seen from the fact that the OP has disappeared for a couple of days. Sometimes, the OP never shows up again.

Hello …I posted below some pre med questions that no one responded to… Any chance you can answer some of those? thanks

What was your overall experience like at the U? How were the classes/professors? Would you do it over again if you had to?

Does UM live up to its stereotypes of partying, etc? Is the presence of sororities like Delta Gamma noticeable? I’m interested in the business school- I’m looking for rigorous classes and fun! I’m just curious about the balance between the two and whether you have to seek it out

I’m planning on majoring in marine science and bio and minoring in chem and possibly geology. Will I have any free time or will I spend every second studying? What’s the marine science department like? Thankss!

One thing UM always mentions is how much diversity they have. While on campus, have you noticed the diversity there? Also, do people hang out with people of different ethnicities/racial groups, or do people mainly stick to groups of their own race/ethnicity?

What’s one thing that has helped you become successful while studying for a degree in the Marine Sciences at Miami? I’ll be majoring in Marine Science/Microbiology and Immunology. Also, what’s one piece of advice you have for incoming Marine Science freshmen?

Hi, Risingseniors, I’m the mother of a junior at the U who is incredibly happy there. She is a member of DG sorority and appeared in their infamous recruitment video (I assume that’s what prompted your question about DG?) Anyway I wanted to respond to you as she is in the business school majoring in Finance and has very rigorous classes. She is on the Dean’s List every semester, works part time, had a board position in her sorority, works out almost every day, and still finds plenty of time to party. So yes there is a great balance between work and play. And don’t let that DG video intimidate you. They are a great bunch of girls and that video is raising a lot of money for their philanthropy.

Does UM have a good reputation among employers? How difficult is it to find a job in your senior year/after graduation in the field you’re studying? Also I’m planning on majoring in international business, have you heard anything about how good their undergrad business school is? As for the social aspect, I’m from California so I’ll be living there on campus all week long, is the campus still alive on weekends? And finally, because I love the ocean, how long does it take to get to the beach with public transportation, and how often do people go?

@mumof2 thank you! I’m from a high school where very few people join sororities in college so I’m not very familiar with the culture. I really liked Miami when I visited- I’m just trying to investigate whether it’s the right fit.

My son has been accepted EA with a Presidential Scholarship. We applied to U Miami without seeing the school and on the recommendation of college counselor. It looks like a nice school. Can anyone tell me what they think are the main pros and cons of the school? I have read a few other posts here on CC from UM students that many of the kids there are smart, but underachieving rich kids who party too much. What does everyone else think about it? Thanks.

@londondad, I can give you my perspective of the U as a parent of a recent graduate. My S graduated with a science major and a minor and he is now in medical school. For pre-meds, the academics are very vigorous and challenging. However, many classes are relatively small, and my S had excellent access to most of his professors. He had many options to perform research, volunteer, and shadow doctors, which are all things that are required to apply to medical school. The pre-med advising office is excellent in my opinion. With his busy schedule, my S was still able to partake in some extra-curricular clubs and attend sporting events. The only con of the school was that I thought the Honors Program was extremely weak. I’m not sure if they have it anymore.

The campus is very clean and safe. It is not a typical “college town” campus. There are many things to do and getting to downtown Miami or the beach is not real difficult. As at any school, there will be partiers, rich kids, etc. My S was able to find some very good “normal” friends and was quite happy with the social environment. When we were shoveling our driveway up north my S was enjoying the nice weather down south.

My son received a very nice merit scholarship, so the school became affordable and brought the cost down below what our in-state public university costs. I would highly recommend visiting the U to form your own opinions. Good luck!

Hi @raquetdad. Son just accepted EA class of 2020. He also wants to go into medicine. How many students from your son’s class were able to secure a spot in the Miller School of Medicine with the medical scholars option? I read about it online…that with solid GPA etc, some students are invited after 1st year, ensuring them a spot.