Ask a Student

<p>No. Some schools/colleges require an application process after taking UW courses and it is true most students will be in L&S, but not all. The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, for example, will be the choice of some with majors such as Biochemistry.</p>

<p>what were all the college available that freshmen could apply to on the application besides college of L&S?</p>

<p>Fancy:</p>

<p>Small thing: UWM=University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, [UW-Milwaukee:</a> About UWM](<a href=“http://www4.uwm.edu/about_uwm/]UW-Milwaukee:”>http://www4.uwm.edu/about_uwm/), the other research, doctoral degree granting university in the UW System. Madison is referred to as UW-Madison.</p>

<p>The only thing that excites students here is any attempt to limit the amount they drink. There are no causes. Politics exist only once every four years or so around presidential elections. </p>

<p>If liberal means predominately Democratic party supporters then yes the campus is liberal but by and large uninterested in issues even those that impact them directly except of course for drinking. Compare UW-Madison to UW-Milwaukee on the issue of rising tuition. No riots or protests here.</p>

<p>The only radicals you will find here are some of the union people representing classified workers. Now some of them still think it is 1968 (see tsdad above). But like most public employee unions in this state, except for the correction workers, they are ineffective and mostly just an annoyance.</p>

<p>Undergrad students apply to and are accepted by the university as a whole, not any specific school/college. Stating a major when applying, hence a college/school that major is in, helps you in being assigned an advisor at SOAR. Students can change their major at any time. Most incoming freshmen will be in L&S due to their first semester courses- it is the largest college with some 80% of students. Students may be in preengineering or prebusiness and take courses relevant to their planned majors before being officially accepted into a program. You can look at the options on the application form for details.</p>

<p>Madison is one of the more bicycle-oriented campus’ around…I pulled the following quote from a company that publishes bicycle guides: “Madison, Wisconsin ranks near the top of everyone’s list of bicycle friendly cities. It’s a city that lives and moves by bicycle. The riding gets even better out of town. Dane County offers challenging hills and hidden valleys to the west and the gentler, more open landscape to the east.” The winter limits biking, but for three seasons (some people think four) you can find a wide variety of trails on campus with scenic beauty (along the lakeshore) and access (some of the old rail corridors that have been made into bike and walking trails).</p>

<p>I just saw that Lance Armstrong will be in town to open a community bike ride:</p>

<p>[Lance</a> Armstrong to headline at Madison’s Ride the Drive - WKOW 27: Madison, WI Breaking News, Weather and Sports](<a href=“http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12249664]Lance”>http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12249664)</p>

<p>Also this summer they are holding a centurion! Very exciting.</p>

<p>[Tour</a> de Dane? Massive Euro-style bike race slated for August](<a href=“http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/article_66559736-c1d4-11de-bf31-001cc4c002e0.html]Tour”>http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/article_66559736-c1d4-11de-bf31-001cc4c002e0.html)</p>

<p>How competent are the TAs which teach the introductory freshman classes?</p>

<p>My experience with TA’s was that many are Ivy educated, pursuing degrees in a one of the UW’s prestigious graduate programs. My TA’s were from good to awesome. </p>

<p>What major?</p>

<p>I’m actually just a junior, but I am not gona really be here this summer and I do wrestling in the fall and winter, so I’m trying to do most of my college research now. I’m probably going to major in econ, but I know I am just 16 and there is a good chance my interests will change in the next few years. I really like the campus, but I think I could get into a more prestigious private school, but then be in thousands of dollars in debt. I just want to be assured that going to a public school over a private school won’t hurt me when applying to grad school down the road</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>The TA’s I have had have been excellent for the most part. I haven’t had any I couldn’t understand as of yet, and most of them are extremely interested in whatever subject it is because they are doing grad work on it. I did have a lazy ass in econ, but he still knows what he’s talking about if I needed to ask him for advice.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I wouldn’t be worried about this if I were you. As long as you hold up your end of the deal and get good grades I would suspect any grad school would see that as impressive coming from an institution like UW. Shouldn’t hurt you one bit.</p>

<p>hey cryto
how diverse is wisconsin?
I am an asian international student
will i fit in well?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>In my opinion, it’s not as diverse as I have been around in the past, but I wouldn’t let this dissuade you. I’m from California which has a pretty big Asian population and while it’s nothing like that, Asian students certainly have a presence here. Maybe like 6-8%, but thats still in the thousands.</p>

<p>On the other hand, people around here are extremely nice/welcoming and as long as you don’t decide going in that you are going to self-segregate yourself, there will be tons of friends to be made. I’d say that there are more international students in the learning communities which could be an option if that interests you also. I personally know a couple international students and see others around all the time. They are great to know for interesting conversations and different cultural backgrounds.</p>

<p>leksas-from living in Madison for 17 years I know that it is a very welcoming city to all races and cultures and you should not have any problems fitting in with people here</p>

<p>Thanks, guys! :)</p>

<p>“How competent are the TAs which teach the introductory freshman classes?”</p>

<p>For the majority of intro classes such as Econ, Psych, etc that people take the TA is NOT you main professor. The lectures will be done by the prof although the TA may get a guest shot to practice lecturing. The TA will grade papers and lead the once a week discussion section where you can ask more questions etc. The only classes actually taught regularly by TAs would be intro to composition, some basic language classes, and some basic math classes most test out of. Such classes are typically limited to 20-25 students so that you get more personal attention.</p>

<p>“How competent are the TAs which teach the introductory freshman classes?”</p>

<p>While I am not a freshman, I am taking French 101 and it is taught solely by a TA (I’ve never even seen the ‘official’ professor). She is a very good teacher and she is very enthusiastic about the topic she is teaching. She is also very knowledgeable and dedicated. </p>

<p>I haven’t had any other classes that have been solely taught by a TA, but given my experience with my French class I would say that the other TAs are probably also pretty good.</p>

<p>^That might be important to note for some. Most common introductory level language classes (the first four semesters typically) are usually taught just by TAs, but most of the time they are more than qualified to do the job. Don’t be turned off by it. :slight_smile: </p>

<p>There are exceptions, obviously, but be prepared to have a TA as your teacher for some foreign language classes.</p>

<p>On the subject of foreign languages, I haven’t taken the placement test yet but what level class do students who have taken four solid years of a language typically get placed into? I’m not going to take the French test till SOAR but I’d like to have a general idea of where I’d end up so I can start to plan for the classes I’d like to register for.</p>

<p>Also, what is your impression of the Kronshage dorms? How far out of the way do they seem? Are they seen as some of the bigger party dorms in Lakeshore? If not, what dorms on Lakeshore have the biggest parties and are seen as more social? They’re my number one pick right now.</p>

<p>Eastsider-if you want party dorms you’d be much better off in the Southeast dorms. Plus, the SERF is much nicer than the Nat</p>