Ask a Student

<p>Yea I know that. I like partying but I also like the the open space around lakeshore and being close to the lake. I’m not sure I really want to be cramped up inside a highrise all winter.</p>

<p>hows the international studies program?</p>

<p>Eastsider, the reality is that anyone who “parties” in the dorms eventually gets in too much trouble for it to be worth “partying” in the dorms. Don’t pick your housing option for it. I will say that I wanted to party and drinking during my first year was at least a one-night-per-weekend (usually twice) activity and going to house parties is definitely the venue as a freshman. I lived in Sellery and loved the location because of how convenient it was. I had friends in lakeshore and any time we pregamed there it was HORRIBLE how far we had to walk to get to the parties we were heading to. People hung out at my place and we’d use our rooms in Sellery as the place to meet up before going out. It’s brutally cold on weekend nights in the winter and if you miss the 81 it’s a long, long walk back to the lakeshore dorms. </p>

<p>Actually had friends sleeping on my floor in sellery because they didn’t want to get back to lakeshore in the morning. </p>

<p>It sounds like partying will be a large chunk of your socializing, and there’s not necessarily anything wrong with that, but you may really regret living in lakeshore. There’s plenty of options to run over to the lakeshore or visit it frequently–which is what I did. I’d request Ogg, Smith, Sellery, Witte based on what you’re saying. Of the lakeshore dorms I’d probably recommend Kronshage, or Cole/Sullivan (many that get placed in Cole/Sullivan don’t rank it highly and get clumped there due to lottery and from what I’ve seen, there tends to be more diversity in social expectations rather than a “lakeshore” dominance in the other dorms).</p>

<p>2cents.</p>

<p>Choose the area/neighborhood of campus you want to spend your outside of class time in. For some it is the city vibe of southeast, for others it is the lakeshore. Plan your dorm area based on what best suits you for stress relief from classes. I prefered the lakeshore to highrises and found the distances no big deal. Nicer for a walk out to Picnic Point or to the Memorial Union on the Lakeshore path. Did walk to friends’ Barnard dorm and back a lot in cold weather (also did things I warn against doing- what are the chances of seeing only one person along University Ave at around 2 am and discovering it is one of your close friends?).</p>

<p>You only take the foreign language placement exam if you plan to continue in the language. Four years of one foriegn language will meet any university degree requirements for a BA or a BS. You only get retroactive credits for a language if you comlete a semester of it at UW. Most students with 4 years of a language in HS won’t bother taking more and therefore don’t need the placement exam.</p>

<p>anyone knows how merit house’s like?</p>

<p>Can you confirm acceptance to two different colleges?</p>

<p>ejbonner: No, however, you may accept at ONE by May 1st, and if you get off a waitlist, you may commit to the “new,” place deposit, and withdraw from the first (but will lose deposit).</p>

<p>MNBadger: Of course I’m not gonna be partying all the time because of studying and all the other activities I plan on doing but I still want to have fun a little bit each week. I’m just wanting to know what the most social of the lakeshore dorms is cause I’m pretty sure I want lakeshore and what I’ve been hearing on here and from other sources is that Kronshage is it.</p>

<p>Wis75: I’m definitely continuing in French so what level will I most likely be placed into with four years in HS?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I would agree with above posters and say you’re not going to be really “partying” in the dorms a whole lot. You can and likely will be “pregaming” there, but not partying. Save the actual partying for houses/frats or where ever else you would like. It’s to risky to do anything in the dorms besides a low key pregame.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I have a couple friends from Lakeshore who have stayed in my room in SE because they didn’t want to make the 20 min trek back to Lakeshore at 3 in the morning. Not trying to dissuade, but it’s an option I suppose if you know people in SE. I would say Liz Waters is the most social dorm I’ve seen. I know a couple students that come over here quite a bit, but I’ve never actually gone to Lakeshore to pregame or anything myself. Also, I know a couple girls who lived in the dorms farther away like Sullivan and they actually moved to SE at the winter break because they didn’t like the walk.</p>

<p>As far as your language goes, I would say you will probably be placed into 204 or 226. (If French has equivalent class levels to Spanish) I took 5 years total in MS/HS and got a 4 on the AP test and was placed into 226. With this, I got 16 retro credits which was nice, so now I can apply earlier than all my peers. 204 isn’t too shabby, but if you are proficient, I’d guess you could be in 226.</p>

<p>^Sweet. Thanks.</p>

<p>Totally forgot about Liz Waters–great suggestion, Cryto. That’d be a happy medium for you, eastsider…</p>

<p>and trust me, i drank my fair sure during my first year, kept grades up, and it wasn’t a problem. I wasn’t saying anything in my post in a negative way…you’ll find a lot of people at UW who definitely are successful in a variety of ways, and drinking may still be a large part of the social scene for those peple. </p>

<p>we’re good at both ;)</p>

<p>^And that’s why I’m going :)</p>

<p>What opportunities are there for undergraduate research outside of the honors program?</p>

<p>Plenty. You can start with a low pay lab tech position and work your way up or just talk to your science profs. Not limited to Honors.</p>

<p>[UW-Madison:</a> Undergraduate Research Opportunities > index](<a href=“http://www.provost.wisc.edu/undergradresearch/]UW-Madison:”>http://www.provost.wisc.edu/undergradresearch/)</p>

<p>Great! </p>

<p>Wow, two months ago I couldn’t even stand the thought of having to stay in Madison, and now I’m starting to fall in love with the University</p>

<p>Good to hear that. Talk to one hundred different students and you will get one hundred different experiences and reasons to love UW.</p>

<p>First, I received a scholarship that requires my GPA to stay at a 3.0 or higher. How hard will it be to keep my GPA up in the math/science departments (what I’m planning on majoring in) while still having fun and partying at least a little every weekend?</p>

<p>Second, (haha I know this is random) what kind of laundry basket do you use/ which kind would fit in the closet the best?</p>

<p>how good is uw-madison for biological sciences? is it better than the biological programs offered at ucsd?
and also, is it possible to switch majors? perhaps to an impacted major like engineering?</p>

<p>Can you do a major and a minor? Economics would be my main focus, but I also want to minor, or at least be able to take a class each year in Russian because my dad and his family is from there, but he never took the time to teach me. By the time I graduate from high school I will have taken the Spanish AP test, but I don’t really feel like taking even more Spanish</p>

<p>UW is on par with UCSD in biosciences and that’s very good.</p>

<p>No minors at UW. In some things you can get a certificate–most just double major.</p>