Ask About Andover

By the morning of the next day. Many, probably most, kids leave on the Friday when the “dorms close,” but some stick around until the morning to depart early. My kid has done both and prefers the Friday departure.

@CaliPops Thanks! What is the normal time the students will leave on Friday, afternoon or night? My son will be a new student who will join in September. Do you know what transportation can take the students to the airport? We live in California.

The breaks are generally preceded by testing, and departure times vary depending on the flight and test schedules. Some kids leave shortly after finishing tests, some kids take late flights, and some kids take really late / early morning flights. I don’t think there’s any set time that applies across the board. We tend to aim for a 6:00pm or so flight time, and our kiddo generally uses Flightline, which is a shuttle service that picks students up directly from campus–in front of George Washington. There are other services available, but my impression is that Flightline is the most common (and probably most cost effective) solution. The downside is that it usually picks students up pretty far ahead of the flight time.

@CaliPops Thank you again. Do the students also use the Flightline at the BOS airport when they return to the school?

@CaliPops

Whyyyyyy ???, but on a more serious note…
I know this is likely to vary between teachers but I’d just like to know how your child finds the exams they take at PA. Do they find that they have to critically think to solve most problems?

@CaliPops I just checked Flightline. It seems the cost is not cheap. The single trip from Andover to BOS airport will be $57.50. Does it sound normal?

@YoungThriver - Yes, critical thinking is required. It all about applying your knowledge not just to what been expressly told, but also to new situations. At least that’s my impression.

@LifeChangeHaha - That does not sound right. I think you’re probably looking at 1-person ride price. Most of the students ride on a shared van, and my recollection is that it’s about 30 bucks for a one-way trip. I can’t recall if there’s a discount for buying a round trip in advance or not–there may be–but we don’t usually go that route.

@LifeChangeHaha - Looking at the website, I can see it does quote $57 one-way. You’ll find that PA student get discounts for the normal pickup/dropoff dates. That’s why I’m used to paying lower prices. Probably not appropriate to quote the prices on here publicly, but I’ll send you a PM.

@CaliPops Good to know there will be a discount for PA students. If you kids don’t usually use Flightline on the return day, what transportation do they use to go back to PA at the BOS airport? Can the students take Uber or Lyft?

Flight Line is available from BOS to PA as well, and we’ve enjoyed the same discount for the drop-off as we do for the pickup. Uber / Lyft for children under 16 is not encouraged (and I think is actually against company policy), but I suspect kids do sometimes use it as well. I recall the school sending out something listing a number of options for travel between PA and BOS, and we settled on Flight Line as our go-to option. I think most of the other options listed were taxi or car services.

@CaliPops Thanks very much! The information you provided is very helpful!

I figure it will be 5 round trips a year and 20 trips at most between PA and BOS. under $2,000.

What is the typical day for an Andover student taking some (but not all) advanced classes and middle-level sport/dance?

Has anyone gotten any more emails after the initial matriculation email sent after choosing Andover?

@livelaughxc I had that same question! So I guess not.

The enrollment agreement is due May 10th so hopefully, they send that in beforehand.

@YoungThriver is it safe to assume housing questionnaires and placement tests will be sent in mid-June to Julyish?

@livelaughxc They’ll be sent in early May, according to what I’ve been told (from a parent).

@livelaughxc and @YoungThriver We (parents) received an email with the Enrollment Agreement.

@TheSwami We haven’t received ours yet.

Do you think that the enrollment agreements are personalized?

@YoungThriver yes. The email indicated it was an online enrollment agreement and it has my son’s name on it. It came from schooladmin info. Maybe check your SPAM filter? It is also possible they were sent in some sort of wave pattern. Give it a bit more time and then call.