Ask About Andover

@andoverblue21 Wait really? That’s a little disappointing. When I revisted, my host and her friends actually said that new lowers got better housing than existing students and that admin tend to give the 2 room doubles to new lowers.

Normally that is the case. However, andover has once again over enrolled this year and it’s reaching something of a breaking point. However, I hadn’t heard what andoverblue21 mentioned. Only way to know for sure is wait and see.

It would be a new policy. Not sure if it’s a final decision yet.

Also, count my kiddo as among those who were excited to meet the new lowers who came in this year. My kiddo has a very positive opinion of the new lowers.

I heard that the daily class schedule will change next year. Can anyone elaborate on how and what the new schedule is?

All days will start later, at 8:30. Monday the only day with all 7 class periods. ASM moved to Friday and biweekly. Unscheduled time Fridays 12:10-1:25. Last possible class will end at 2:50 everyday (except Wednesday) instead of 2:45.

@familyrock Great, thank you!

My daughter needs to get braces. Can any parents comment on how they managed this process while attending Andover?

She should get her braces put on by an orthodontist at home, preferably several months before leaving for school to allow for initial adjustments/dealing with initial pain and discomfort, etc. Check-ups and adjustments can be handled during breaks. Emergencies can be handled with an orthodontist near the school. The time frame for wearing braces may be longer since there likely be more time between orthodontist appointments than if she attended a local school.

Ant specific questions can be directed to the school; they have more than enough experience dealing with kids with braces.

@twinmama17 I am dealing with this now. My child will be a new junior (freshman) at PA in the fall and is ready for braces. Our local orthodontist recommended that instead of starting our son here at home that we go with an orthodontist near Andover. If you PM me I am happy to share more since we have a unique aspect to our story. I was partially impressed since I assume the local orthodontist would have made money by saying start the kid off locally and deal with the complexity of BS later.

Are there drivers ed programs at Andover? I live in Texas and should be starting the whole learner’s permit and license process soon.

The state requires either online or in person classes before testing for a permit. After that, it’s required that you complete a 7 hour in-car driving course and 7 hours of in-car driving observation before you can test for a license.

I’m not too worried about the permit process, but more so about getting in those required hours of in-car driving and observation. Can any parents or current students speak as to how they managed the whole process?

No

As Andover, like most BS, does not allow boarders to have cars, there is not quite the sense of urgency to get a licence as you would see at the local HS. Some students use a local drivers ed company that offers classes on the week-end, which is fine if the student is in-state. OOS students need to check with their local DMV on reciprocity. The actual testing for permit and license is done in their home state.

The vast majority of kids do drivers ed over the summer/long breaks/after graduation back home.

@livelaughxc Students generally take drivers ed and practice driving at home over breaks. Yes there are local driving schools but not sure if they will give lessons to OOS students (have to check if student can drive here with that state’s permit).

1. Is girls team tennis in the spring or the fall?
  2. How much of a time commitment is playing a JV sport?
  3. How many hours a week is dance (ballet) if you want to take it at a intermediate (not competitive) level?

Thank you!

Just learned from current school, that the final transcript may not come out until state standard assessment scores are available in early July. The registrar said she would call Andover if she is going to miss the deadline. Wondering if anybody else has/had the same issue? Thanks

@denvermanning

1. Spring
  2. I believe JV sports practice 4 days a week (M,T,Th,F) with games on Wednesdays. Practice times will vary with sports but will likely be 1.5-2hrs
  3. Unfortunately, I don’t know the answer to this one, hopefully someone else with more experience can answer that

for an incoming 9th grade, what school supply does she need to bring/buy? thanks!

Which hall has the laundry machine that the students can use?

Most of them

@skieurope Thanks!

Just came back for an update:

• English is still pass/fail for fall term but History is now graded
  • Some dorms have become 9/10th grade dorms so that’s going to be new
  • There’s a new class schedule with a different format
  • School is supposed to end later this upcoming year because of the new schedule :frowning:
    If y’all have really specific questions, feel free to PM me!