Ask About Andover

@bc12345 Last year the schedule included a specific time for parents to DEPART CAMPUS; it was on Tuesday evening, the day of New Student Registration. New Student Orientation began the following day. DC arrived early as an athlete and we did the move in that day. We ran out to Bed, Bath and Beyond, Staples and Wal-Mart on Monday for a few extra things we realized would be needed and/or convenient. On Tuesday there were some meetings/open houses/receptions for parents.

Right now DH and I are trying to figure out the logistics on the other end in June! There’s talk of driving there and back over Memorial Day weekend (ugh!!!) to get the majority of the stuff, and then having DC fly home once classes are done later that week.

@bc12345 Unless they change it, and IIRC, the coach will invite which prospective varsity student-athletes need to arrive early. It may or may not be every member of the varsity team. If not invited, the student shows up on the regular move-in day.

Any specifics on move-in will be communicated well in advance of September. Nobody will be left to guess when to arrive. :slight_smile:

@bc12345 Not to worry if you have to miss the stuff on Tuesday! The kids can participate without their parents, and in hindsight DC may have preferred that :slight_smile:

You guys rock. Thank you. So when we met with the coach he said he would prob be playing Varsity football he’s a repeat 9th grader and he played varsity as a freshman this year in LpS.

We will talk to him more at revisit.

Coach emailed to say impact testing was on the 2nd and they move in and start double sessions on the 3rd. So I’m assuming that would mean the 5th is the main move in day and the 5th/6th is orientation.

This is all my own forensic science so nobody should take it as a set schedule!

Do parents stay and participate in orientation? @AppleNotFar I am SURE he’d be thrilled if I wasn’t involved in that!

@AppleNotFar yes housing assignments should be done in May. I don’t remember the exact timeline.

@bc12345 They do impact testing for everyone during orientation. I know there are a few adjustments to the schedule for some varsity athletes. It will all be posted over the summer.

@AppleNotFar maybe ship some of the stuff home? You can ship luggage too in advance of your arrival.

@AppleNotFar
If you don’t need everything in the dorm at home over the summer, you can store some things in college boxes over the summer (for a fee). Basically, they give you several boxes, you put everything you want to store in it, and they take it for the summer and give it back to you when school starts again. You can check their website to learn a bit more.
You’ll probably hear about it more in the spring, but it’s definitely not necessary to take everything back if you don’t need it all.

Thank you @MA2012 and @WishStar12

@bc12345 Tuesday was billed as “New Student Registration Day” and Wednesday was billed as “New Student Orientation Day 1”; Saturday was billed as “New Student Orientation Day 2”. With the specific instructions for parents/guardians to depart on Tuesday afternoon, even eager beavers like me couldn’t participate in orientation. DH and I hit the road on Wednesday morning. The Tuesday events were essentially variations on “Welcome to Andover”: group meetings with the advisor/house counselor and the cluster dean, CAMD open houses, a PSPA info session, etc. Having moved the kid in on Sunday gave us the opportunity to meet the advisor/house counselor that day, and that was really the most important connection for us to make before school started.

My daughter will be in ninth grade next year at Andover–she loves courses with writing and talking (history, English, theater) but hates math. She is in “advanced math” right now which is supposed to give her credit for 9th grade algebra, but I know there will be a placement test. Basically, what is the highest level math she absolutely must take in order to graduate? And what does she have to take to get into the AP version of college algebra? I would like her to get out of Andover at least with College Algebra, but I’m looking for the shortest route to that goal.

@Leslie41 The course of study says that a 4 year student must complete either Math 280 (Geometry and Precalculus), which is “A yearlong course for extremely able entering students who have completed with distinction an intermediate algebra course but have not completed a yearlong geometry course. The course covers Euclidean geometry (both synthetic and coordinate) and elementary functions. This course completes the diploma requirement and prepares students to enroll in MTH380.” OR Math 340, which is part of the precalculus sequence.

I suggest looking at this year’s Course of Study for a better understanding of how the math program works: https://www.andover.edu/Academics/ProgramInfo/Pages/Course-of-Study.aspx

@bc12345 Not sure about Andover, but my son went to another boarding school
so, typically with athletes, they go up with the bare minimums (clothes, toiletries, sheets, etc.), as they’re usually in ‘temp’ quarters, and then the other larger items are moved in during the ‘formal move-in’. I have that same struggle
and it is soooo real!

@bc12345 Just one note
Target does an amazing job of delivering on-campus dorm stuff for free with their red card; also, you can order early summer and schedule pick-up at a local Target, to avoid having to travel with stuff
helps with the BB&B runs, much cheaper, and closer to the move-in dates, a lot of these places run out of stuff (even hangers, table lamps, etc.). Hope this helps

@Leslie41 Hi Leslie. I am not sure what you are referring to as regards AP College Algebra. The only math APs are AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC and AP Statistics. (See https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/apcourse.)

My child is at PA, and also dislikes Math, but has just finished Math 360, the third of a three term sequence of precalculus courses. I suppose she could technically have stopped after 340, the first of this sequence, but it seems very very unlikely. There is a great deal of peer, administrative, and college counseling pressure at Andover to get through calculus, let alone through precalculus.

Math at Andover is very challenging (at least for those for whom math is not their best subject). For my child it has sometimes felt like drinking from a firehose.

In my experience (and from talking to other parents) the placement test will place your child to be challenged. Don’t be tempted to push for a higher placement. I often wish my daughter had opted to start lower, though that might have meant summer school. (If your student is placed low enough, he or she will be strongly compelled to take math the summer after his/her junior year to be able to get through calculus before graduating.)

What do you think the administration feels is their biggest selling point relative to other BS? In other words, what are they most proud of and what would they most like new students to appreciate?

@hmom5 That’s a great question! I would love to hear what the current students and parents have to say. Personally I think they are most proud of the breath and depth of what they offer as a LAC like high school in terms of academic and non-academic activities and opportunities. They are also proud of the school’s standing in the industry, or the well established reputation among prospective applicants from the supply side and among the selective colleges at the output end.

@southernprepfam such good tips! I had no idea about target. And I doubt he will even notice he has only the bare minimum in his room. He won’t even know. He could be in a cave and add as long as there is pizza he would be fine. :wink:

With question about EC, DC is an impact athlete but also plans to play in the orchestra. Would there be any conflicts between the two, in regards of practice schedules? If there is, will the coach/conductor willing to allow some compromises?

@jc570109

Found here: http://www.andover.edu/Academics/Music/PerformanceEnsembles/Pages/default.aspx

I believe that most sports practice earlier in the afternoon, approximately 3:00-4:45 (except Wednesdays). During one season my kid was in a sport which had a later practice time but still finished before the start of music rehearsals. On those days getting dinner was tricky and DC ended up getting delivery many of those nights. But I believe this was a rare case. You may want to check with the coach for your child’s sport. For visual reference, see the daily class schedule:

http://www.andover.edu/Academics/ProgramInfo/Pages/DailyClassSchedule.aspx

@jc570109 what sport? Feel free to PM me.