Ask about Lawrenceville

I have no specific inside info on L’ville although we did research it when looking at choosing schools, but most of these schools provide nifty course flow charts for the more complicated subjects like math and science. You should find them on the academic affairs or subject department websites.

These flow charts help students figure out how to get from A to B. Some show elective options. Here is a link to Lawrenceville’s math flowchart.

https://sentinel.lawrenceville.org/_flowchart/index.html

2 Likes

Yes.

I’m preparing for the AP Chemistry exam right now, and it’s been pretty smooth sailing. I don’t think Honors Biology is as close to the AP, though.

Most people drop their language senior year. Very few drop it junior year.

You take 6 courses per term freshman winter, freshman spring, and all of sophomore year. You take 5 courses per term freshman fall and all of junior and senior year. Not all of those courses are yearlong.

I’ll PM you mine, though I only have it through junior year.

One’s language class is also fully graded, since there can be non-freshman in that class if one is in level 2 or above.

could you also PM me your course map? thanks in advance

I heard that Lawrenceville doesn’t have a National Honor Society - is this typical at most (elite) private schools?

Yes, I don’t believe it exists at any of the six prep schools I applied to (Lville, Peddie, PDS, Hun, Pennington, and George), and I haven’t heard of it at any of the big New England schools like Exeter, Andover, Choate, or Deerfield either.

The closest thing we have to NHS is cum laude, which is given to 20 percent of the senior class midway through their senior spring based on junior and senior year grades.

1 Like

Bump for 2023!

1 Like

Hi confusedaboutFA,

just got accepted to lville. As a fencer, is lville’s fencing program good? How about the music electives? Someone attending there in 9th grade told me not to choose a music elective which confused me

Congrats!

I believe we won states this year, but I might be confusing it with last year (I know for a fact both teams won states last year). You can reach out to the coach; his email should be somewhere here: https://athletics.lawrenceville.org/.

I will say that from what I’ve heard, doing club fencing (well, doing anything) off campus can be really difficult due to logistics and permissions, so only a few really dedicated people do it. You also obviously have to miss a lot of classes for tournaments.

I took Foundations of Music freshman year, and I found it fine, although it could be a bit dry at times. Also, if you play an instrument, you basically already know the entirety of the first term. They probably said that because Art and Theater are just more exciting (I myself switched to Theater sophomore year). That said, it’s certainly not a bad class or anything unless they’ve radically changed it in the past three years.

1 Like

I believe they are in the process of re-vamping the foundations classes (theater, art & music), so I wouldn’t worry too much about which one to pick, especially as it’s only for one trimester.

Hi, I know it is pretty laid back, but what’s the dress code? Thx

Thanks!

When I visited campus, my tour guide says that they wear casual clothes, not too fancy and revealing. correct me if I’m wrong

1 Like

@MaineMom2: my son was class of 18 at Lville. The boys were allowed to dress pretty casually. Jeans, khakis were allowed. Collared shirts for classes (polo, button down). But no sweatshirts. No blazers were required except for formal events.

In the spring, some of the boys wear a very strange combination: shorts, blazer, dress shirt with bowtie. Looks weird, but I think its some type of house tradition.

It’s since gotten even more relaxed. Here’s a direct excerpt from the current handbook:

The t-shirt change was just introduced this year, and it’s great. Hoodies are much more common now, as well; I was shocked when I read this excerpt, as I was always under the impression that they’re allowed as long as you’re wearing them over an approved shirt, and I’ve never seen anyone get dress coded (myself included) for wearing one.

Kiddo1 wears a hoodie almost every day to class, often with ripped jeans (which I think are not allowed). Not many people have been enforcing dress code in the past few years. And if you have one of the few teachers that do enforce it, you learn quickly to dress in code on the days you have that class.

1 Like

are sports teams welcoming for people with little/no experience? Do I have to be already good at a sport to join?

There are 2 levels of teams for most sports: JV and Varsity. Placement is usually based on try-outs. There is a third level (House) sports for those who want to try it out. So no experience is not necessary. Students need to take 3 sports per year (one each term).

1 Like

This really depends on the sport. Some (JV) teams have room for inexperienced players, and others do not.

I was just reminded of something- I heard that in Choate you can take music after school instead of sports. Is this the same in L’ville?

1 Like

No, everyone takes a sport.

2 Likes