Ask Almost Anything About UR!

Hi, looking for some advice. What are the best hard science program at Richmond? Can you apply do summer research as a freshman even if you don’t do one of the special programs like SMART and IQS. These programs look like they make you re-take one or more of classes I already have (or hoping to get) AP credits for. Figuring out my summer would be a high priority for me since it looks like Richmond summers are longer than other schools and I would go crazy going home for that long :slight_smile:

@blamit

“What are the best hard science program at Richmond?”

Between SMART and IQS, I generally hear great things about SMART and mixed things about IQS (depending on the year). It will end up depending on your aspirations, but I generally shill for SMART if you have to pick one. If you know exactly what you want to do in the sciences, then maybe just shoot for whatever you want. Just remember that it’s good to explore in your first year. If you want a comparison of the hard science programs, you should just try them for yourself. It’s gonna depend largely on which professors you have and how good/interested you are at it.

“Can you apply do summer research as a freshman even if you don’t do one of the special programs like SMART and IQS”

Yes. Whether or not you get to do research with a professor depends largely on their needs, but I am aware of several who generally have first-year opportunities (Dr. Barnett jumps to mind in CS, and I’ve heard of plenty of Physics/Bio kids doing it). Around October/November, you’ll just be asking different people (advisor, professors in your field) about potential opportunities and you’ll eventually stumble upon a professor looking for someone like you.

I would recommend reaching out to one of the coordinators about this, because I personally did not do either of them but just know students in both. I also didn’t do first-year research, but that was by choice.

Does UR accept financial aid appeals/generally act favorably on them? They gave me the presidential scholarship, as well as some other financial aid, and the cost still comes out to ~50k; almost double of what my parents and I can afford. :frowning:

@bonjour1 I mean, it definitely wouldn’t hurt to try: worst thing that could happen is they say no. The presidential scholarship should put you down to around $50k COA on its own, so I’m curious about what financial aid they offered you.

@MON824 I think it was only a few thousand a year, if I remember. The price would be, if I remember correctly, around $47,000 a year or $48,000 a year (my financial packet is somewhere in my desk drawers, I should probably check on that). I would love to go to UR, but I really can at most afford the low $30,000s per year—no more than $34k :confused:

@MON824 Thanks for your response on research! I was not paying attention since I was gone during Spring Break. I will ask around more when I visit Richmond later this month.

Also, I do not want to major in CS, but maybe minor or take sufficient number of CS courses to support my goals in sciences. Any comments on this article - how difficult is it for Richmond non-majors to get into intro CS courses. BTW, I don’t have much experience in programming.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/24/technology/computer-science-courses-college.html

They even mention Haverford and Swarthmore in the article. I don’t want to pay top $ for a college education and have problems like this …

@blamit

It’s kinda interesting. So, yes, we have gotten a lot of interest recently in the CS department, and I have seen the university push to improve it. I have so far had a great experience with it, and I know a lot of others who have had similar experiences. At UR, your major declarations means almost nothing (except B-School). There is few departmental restriction and any intro course is within reach. I could have expressed interest in literature, but could have gotten into an Intro CS class just as easily as any other freshman.

If you wanted to register for a CS intro course in your coming first semester, if you can fit in, you are set. If you’re curious about specifics, there are a total of 72 intro CS slots (not counting the 18 SMART-Program CS slots) between the 4 course options this semester, and 24 of which are guaranteed to not open up until freshman registration. The 4 course will also have a short waitlist (10 max per class). I can update you on specifics later, but I’m sure you’ll be fine if you wanted to register even in your freshman year.

On the topic of faculty, it has been steadily growing, and we have 3 more tenure track professors since 2016 (Dr. Jory, Dr. Bhakta, and Dr. Park). This next semester, you might not feel it, though, as we have two CS professors going on sabbatical. So, we seem to be doing ok faculty-wise.

If you’re curious about difficulty, it’ll depend on the professor. Just ask a non-freshman CS major and they’ll be able to tell you how it works out. The CS department is revamping parts of the curriculum, so the major starts in Python, which is very useful in business applications and is easier to pick up. I think this is great, and believe non-majors will enjoy it (though the transition to Data Structures (CMSC 221) in Java will be interesting).

Also, consider taking intro to statistical modeling (Math 209). It’s not needed for anything, and you might not be able to get in on your first year, but it is offered all the time now and will teach you some very basic but important things about statistical inference and modeling (probably in R) that is useful in the sciences.

richmond doesn’t accept appeals, it’s in the financial aid guide

Does anyone know how LGBTQ life is at Richmond, and how much of a percentage of the student body is LGBTQ? I have read in past posts that it isn’t as accepting as other schools, but I wanted to see if it had changed at all in recent years. I love everything about Richmond but I’m just a bit worried about attending there (as a lesbian) since I don’t want to feel isolated or left out.

@justahorseygirl

I have noticed that UR always tries to push for inclusiveness and likes to hold events relating to LGBTQ stuff like all the time (awareness, acceptance, history, media, etc.). I know a few people who are openly gay/bi, and I honestly never really cared and don’t think anybody else does.

Overall, I don’t think that you’ll feel left out and you’ll be more than able to have a normal life here. I’d obviously recommend talking to other students, though (I’m not LGBTQ). Also maybe see if one of the common ground coordinators can’t answer some of your questions.

Quick link to some info, if you haven’t already seen it: https://commonground.richmond.edu/lgbtq-life/

Hi all, I just wanted to apologize for not being around as much lately. I had some unfortunate stuff happen in my own life (rather not get into it) and I’ve had to focus on myself. I’m trying to be more active here again, though! Thanks to the UR students, parents, and others that have been answering questions in my absence!

You’ve been very valuable on this thread. Best wishes!!

im wondering what the film department is like at richmond?

ive heard its not that great but is being improved, but just wanted to ask

also has it only recently become mandatory to take intro to film studies before you take intro to film production or has it always been like this?

Hello Spider family,
Hope you all are having a good summer!
We’re getting ready to fly in and get our daughter situated on campus in August.
I wanted to ask what are some good and reliable public/mass transportation options from Charlottesville airport to UR or nearby, if any.
Thanks in advance for your time and response. ?

The above question was asked for whether she should fly out of RIC or CHO airport going forward. Ty

@Blore2023 The RIC airport is much closer to University of Richmond. I’d imagine the transportation options to/from are better, too.

@Blore2023 I had to go from UR to Charlottesville (for UVA event) once without a car, but didn’t see any really good public transit options. I ended up just Ubering, which averaged around $90 each way, both ways over an hour ride. I do not think there are very good options to get there without using both a Greyhound and a few additional stops, and it would be a hassle. I assume you’ve already bought your plane tickets to CHO; if that’s the case, it might be worth it to just rend a car for for convenience. For future reference, you should definitely go for RIC.

For RIC, though there is a university bus that travels to and from UR around ending and starting times of school, the fair is like $20 and the time slots can be inconvenient, so I think most people don’t use it. Personally, I just Uber/Lyft between UR and RIC; You can usually get a ride under $30 unless you travel in peak times (my average is around $24), and if it’s high you might want to spend around 5-10 minutes to see if it goes down (I’ve managed to never pay more that $40).

@MON824, totally agree… given the lack of direct transportation to/from CHO/UR, we’ll focus on RIC only when daughter is traveling on her own. Ty