Assistance in formulating college lists![CS/Software Engineering at liberal campus for domestic applicant w/no state residency]

Here are some more introductory CS courses that you can preview on the web:

UCB CS 10, a broad introduction and overview of CS, suitable for non-majors and those considering a CS major – not just about programming but also an overview of computing: Home | CS10 Fall 2022

UCB CS 61A, a first course for CS majors, but recommends some programming experience or CS 10 as prerequisite: CS 61A Fall 2022

3 Likes

Note that the AB540 provision allows for three years of attendance in California, combining high school (which it looks like you have two years), adult school, and (up to two years of) community college to count, in combination with California high school graduation, associates degree from California community college, or fulfilling UC or CSU transfer requirements at a California community college.

So it is possible to gain the AB540 provision through one year of attendance at a California community college. This would necessarily require taking the transfer pathway to a UC or CSU (typically two years, then transfer as a junior). However, this would require paying the first year community college tuition at non-resident rates (about $10.8k, versus $1.3k for residents, not including living expenses and books).

I am not suggesting that you make this your primary pathway, but you may want to make note of it as an option if other options do not work out.

6 Likes

Could you be considered in-state for Texas? Lots of good, inexpensive options there, and it’s not cold.

1 Like

Texas residency rules are listed at Texas Residency | Undergraduate Admissions | The University of Texas at Austin

1 Like

The CC pathway is a pretty nice plan to have. I’ll have to heck if CC’s have an application deadline like 4-year colleges do. Fingers crossed they don’t.

Checked out the Texas residency and do not qualify.

1 Like

Thanks for that! Hilariously, this is how I found out I previously made an edX account for something different that has long escaped my mind :new_moon_with_face:. At least now I get to put it to good use.

Thanks all!

3 Likes

This website is helpful in exploring the California CC options.

https://www.cccco.edu/

2 Likes

I agree the net price calculators might not be accurate, but OP can try (assuming they have complete parental financial info). OP, are your parents divorced?

You can run a FAFSA EFC forecaster here (same caveats as above…it might not be accurate for you, everything has to be converted to US$), BUT many schools won’t care what your FAFSA EFC is when awarding financial aid.

What’s most important is what can/will your parents pay for college per year?

2 Likes

My parents are married. My parents are willing to go quite high but I don’t have a concrete number for that.

1 Like

You should ask for a concrete numbers. Some parents may not be fully aware of what American colleges cost, or may be under the impression that the universities they have in mind for you will provide significant merit aid if you are admitted.

“Quite high” might be $20K/yr to one family, but $80K/yr to other families. Knowing exactly what your parents can afford to pay (and knowing the NPC results) will be very helpful in helping you formulate a list of universities for which to aim.

7 Likes

The California community colleges are open admission and the application deadline is probably only a few weeks before classes start (to get you set up in the system, get any needed placement testing done, and get fees paid before classes start).

However, earlier enrolling students are likely to have a better pick of popular classes.

https://www.assist.org can help show which community colleges have better coverage of courses needed for CS (or any other major) at each UC and CSU.

2 Likes

40k-55k (not all upfront though).

Per year, or for all four years?

1 Like

per year.

You mentioned your parents were “stationed” in Texas. Does that mean one of your parents is in the military? If so, you might want to look at the CalVet Fee Waiver program, which allows you tuition-free education at some CSUs.

I have a CS degree. I’ve found the undergraduate CS programs at most schools are pretty similar, and it doesn’t matter much which school you go to. It would be a good idea to take a programming class or two before committing to CS, to see how you like it. Some people love it, and others hate it.

2 Likes

Haha no, they’re not in the military.

Taking a programming class is on my to-do list (along with studying for the SAT :smiling_face_with_tear: :grimacing:).

Some updates:

I am now a rising senior :smile:! I took the SAT, got a 1400+ and am planning to retake it during my senior year to get up to 1500+. I did break 600+ on the math section, so now I’m aiming for 700+! Trying to work on upping the math score!

I’ve found that I am biased against the middle of the US (basically anywhere other than California and some northeast states). It’s harder to find safeties when you don’t have residencies, and I fell in love with ASU only to find I don’t hit one of the entry requirements. So that was a bust.

To everyone who said take a programming class, that will be part of my senior year schedule and I am taking a summer program as well. I’m also hopefully taking higher levels of math next year.

I’ve also been looking at potential targets, and added Drexel, Stevens, UNC Asheville, and RIT.

1 Like

What entry requirement did you miss at ASU ? You might have similar elsewhere.

1 Like

ASU’s requirements from https://admission.asu.edu/apply/first-year/admission are:

• 4 years math
  • 4 years English (non-ESL/ELL courses)
  • 3 years lab sciences (1 year each from biology, chemistry, earth science, integrated sciences or physics)
  • 2 years social sciences (including 1 year American history)
  • 2 years same second language
  • 1 year fine arts or 1 year career and technical education

Which one are you missing, and can you take it during 12th grade?

Note that the page above says that “Admission may be granted with one deficiency in no more than two competency areas. Deficiencies cannot be in both math and laboratory science.”

3 Likes

Thank you so much for linking this page. I’ve been there before, but didn’t notice the admission may be granted with one deficiency policy.

I thought I was deficient in the 1 year fine arts requirement. I keep get conflicting answers of whether drama counts as a fine art or not. Regardless, I’ll still apply now knowing that its just one potential deficiency.

I’ll take this as a lesson to read thoroughly and repetitively. :grin:

2 Likes