Automatic Admission for Out-of-State Residents

Hey everyone,
So I’m pretty confused. I was planning on applying to Texas A&M next year, and I heard it automatically accepts if they are in the top 10% of their class; however, it says you have to be a state resident. On the University of Texas’s website, though, it does not say anything about having to be a resident of Texas. I am in the top 2% of my class, but I live in Georgia. Am I not eligible for automatic admission?

Yes and No… the top 10% rank automatic admission is for TX residents only. However, there is an automatic academic admit available to everyone. Top 25% rank AND 1300SAT(M+CR) or 30ACT. with min. 600/27 in math/english all in one sitting with writing. http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/admitted This earns you admission to the university, then majors are filled on rolling basis. Applicants apply early for best chances of getting their major.

I understand now. Thank you! @agmomx

Well put AGmomx2…

Resurrecting this thread as I have a question of my own :slight_smile:

@AGmomx2 with my stats I should qualify for automatic admission out of state by this:

[QUOTE=""]

Top 25% rank AND 1300SAT(M+CR) or 30ACT. with min. 600/27 in math/english all in one sitting with writing. http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/admitted This earns you admission to the university, then majors are filled on rolling basis. Applicants apply early for best chances of getting their major.

[/QUOTE]

I know TAMU’s engineering college admits first come first serve, assuming I apply and get everything early to be able to get in automatically, would I have to accept the admission immediately to be guaranteed a spot?

Essentially I want to know if my early application would guarantee me a spot in the engineering program without me having to accept immediately, as I’d like to see where else I get in first. So could I keep that as an option and accept near the deadline while still having the spot?

Your offer for admission into the major of your choice (engineering) will be held until you reply yes or no. If you do not move forward by the deadline ( usually May 1st) they assume your answer is no.