Average day of an Engineering student

<p>Hello!</p>

<p>I am going to be attending Purdue next fall (:D) and I was just wanting to get a good picture of how my life is going to be over there. I did a lot of research, visited the town, etc. But I realized that I needed a student's perspective. Thus, I'm directing this towards all Engineering students at Purdue - I'd really like a lot of feedback from people in the First-Year Engineering Program, but I'd also like to know about the other 3 years :)</p>

<p>So, some questions to help guide answers:</p>

<p>Is there a lot of free time? I know that classes are tough, but are they doable so long as you learn good time management skills? How's the social life? (I'm not going into Greek life, but still I would like to take time off from studying! XD) How's the crowd? (friendly, not so friendly, etc.?) I'm a guy, so naturally I'm going to ask: how are the girls there? (don't judge me! haha XD) How's West Lafayette? My interests are mostly in contemporary, modern, technological things (not a big history buff, nature's nice only when it's sunny and spacious). So stuff like art museums, libraries, parks, etc. What's there? Anything I should watch out for? Is it easy to get around town and campus without a car?</p>

<p>If there's anything else that you should think I should know about that's not asked, please post! :)</p>

<p>Thank you very much in advance!</p>

<p>P.S. what is with the boilermaker mascot...anyone want to explain that to me? It's kinda trivial, just wanted to know.</p>

<p>Just finished freshmen year with 3.94 GPA. It wasn’t easy, but it was very manageable. The thing about college is that everything comes down to the exams, you can be sloppy on a homework assignment here and there, hell last semester I was pledging a fraternity and some of the times I didn’t even get to attempt do my homework I was so busy. Didn’t matter, you know why? I studied my ass of for every single midterm exam starting atleast a week in advance. If there’s one advice that will the greatest help to you during your time here at Purdue it’s this: When an assignment or test that will be worth a majority of your grade is coming up, start it early, it will put you infront of 80-90 of students and relieve an incredible amount of stress. </p>

<p>Seriously I’m not even that smart, but once I figured out how to work the college system it went from seeming impossible to just time consuming but rewarding.</p>

<p>And about your other question…Social life for freshmen really depends on the type of person you are, if you go Greek you’re going to have a great time and meet plently of girls, if you don’t go greek and you’re really social and know how to get well connected quickly with people(especially those in the greek community) you can also have a good time, however if you don’t go greek and aren’t the guy that always knows somebody you might find yourself having alot of weekend nights where you end up staying in and it is kinda depressing.</p>

<p>West Lafayette kinda sucks to be honest, the campus kinda smells, the weather is god awful during the winter, and during the rest of the time the variability is just plain silly. Once again nowhere to go besides the frats really as far as night life goes because as a freshmen the bars are out of bounds. Libraries are just for study, not many parks, museums…pretty much cornfield.</p>

<p>Basically if I had to give myself advice for freshmen year it would this</p>

<p>*Focus on the big things(exams and projects), not the the little things(homework assignment, particaption points, quizzes, although the little things add up)</p>

<p>*Try to get all of your work done in the day between classes as to give yourself sometimes at night to unwind</p>

<ul>
<li>Definitely rethink going greek, ESPECIALLY as an engineer, you’ll be surrounded by dudes and you’ll get sick of it. You asked about girls and to be honest Purdue does have some hot ones but NONE of them are engineering and MOST of them are in sororities. The campus’s social life really does revolve around greek life and this is something you’ll see as a freshmen.</li>
</ul>

<p>I second the Greek life thing. It’s a great way to make the large campus seem smaller and meet people you normally wouldn’t get to meet. I love my sorority and all of the different people I’ve met in other houses. Or just join a variety of clubs, it aparently also has the making the campus seem smaller effect.</p>

<p>Anyways, I finished my first year in engineering as well with a 3.25 GPA, so not as impresive but still solid, IMO. And I just want to give props to the CityBus system at Purdue/Lafayette. It’s nice to use to head down to Chauncey from the dorms when you’re lazy or across the river to Lafayette. Or for those cold mornings when you live in Earhart and your first class is in Armstrong and don’t feel like battling the cold. </p>

<p>The boilermaker mascot comes from an urban legend where the guys on purdue’s early football team were so large that they were rumored to be boilermakers on trains and such.</p>

<p>Speaking of which, of you don’t go Greek, try to rush the reamer club. They get to drive the boilermaker special.</p>

<p>I am a a civil engineering student at Purdue. My first year was great. I want to just point out some things as to what I believe made my time extremely enjoyable (hence, above average) my first year and beyond.</p>

<p>Academics:
I spent a few years at another university, so I can tell you that it doesn’t matter where you are, the classes required of engineering students are always difficult. You are right, time management will keep you doing well. If you’re getting all of your assignments done (and doing them well) and putting a little bit of studying in, you’ll do just fine. That goes for every class. In terms of the First Year Engineering Class (Ideas to Innovation), just get it done. I’ll tell you that it’s a much easier experience than your specialized classes that you’ll eventually take and despite what you might think, you will learn valuable skills needed (I use a lot of the Excel skills I learned in that class to do lab reports). For the other stuff in that class like looking on the Purdue website for answers to various questions about the engineering professional schools or MEA’s, don’t complain about it, just do it. It might take some time, but it’s easy. Just appreciate that you have an easy assignment to do.</p>

<p>Social Life:
Even with all of the engineering courses at 16-18 hours a semester, I managed to find time to stay involved in 5 student organizations and hold many leadership positions and invest a lot of time in one. I also attend a lot of athletic events, including those that are not your typical football and men’s basketball (women’s b-ball, volleyball, baseball, etc.). Attending sporting events really contributes to your college experience. My level of involvement in these varies, but I stay very involved in two of them and one is more of a seasonal commitment. Based on my involvement, I’ll tell you that the busiest organizations and organizations that have smaller membership bases (or require you to be with a smaller group of members) are the ones where you’ll find friends. So, find an organization or two to start out with and if you have time for more, expand from there. My first semester I spent primarily with one organization, then added commitments to two more in the spring and eventually got to a level of involvement that I’m comfortable with. None of these included Greek life. I am an independent student and have fared just fine getting to know people in my residence hall, in my classes, and in student organizations. If you’re looking for like-minded people to meet, find organizations that you’re interested in. If that includes Greek life, then go for it. If not, don’t feel pressured by people saying that you’re going to be lonely because that’s not true. If what you want in a social life is partying, you can find that through joining Greek life or knowing people in it, or you could find it just from your friend base in classes and organizations. </p>

<p>You’ll see that you have a lot of time to spend. With your time management skills, figure out when you’re going to do work, when you’re going to study, when you’re going to have fun, and when you’re going to sleep. The way I managed my time was filling in the one hour gaps I had between classes to study and use bigger gaps to complete assignments. My weekday philosophy is to invest more time in academics (but do keep in mind that many student organizations meet during the weekday evenings). Take time away from sleep and social life to get assignments done as needed. With Fridays and Saturdays, flip your philosophy around and enjoy going to athletic events, go have fun with friends, etc. But, do take some time to study and do assignments. While you’re going to school for an education, you’re also going for an experience, so enjoy yourself, just don’t let it interfere with your academic life.</p>

<p>Sunday-Thursday: 33% sleep, 50% school, 17% everything else (eating, social life, whatever)
Friday and Saturday: 33% sleep, 17% school, 50% everything else
“Everything else” is whatever you make of it. It’s your time to have a good experience to go along with your education. It’s what I’ve done and I’ve had a great time and have a nice GPA too!</p>

<p>Just remember, academics first, social life second, and sleep when you can.</p>

<p>Wow, AMAZING responses!! Thanks so much to all of you! I now have a better picture of what’s awaiting me there, and I’m really glad for that insight -thank you very much!</p>

<p>wow these responses were great, and very insightful :)</p>

<p>I find this thread very helpful. Anyone care to contribute more? As a guide for incoming scholars :)</p>

<p>Thanks for the insight guys! Very neat! I agree with AmericanPegasus, as long as you study a lot, you will be fine.</p>