Ayesha at Last and The One - February CC Book Club Selection

I don’t disagree, but you know what they say, “Happy families are all alike.” These are five stories where finding The One led to unexpected consequences, not the millions of happy endings.

1 Like

Absolutely true! We’d have no wild-ride-romance-murder-techno revenge-thriller novel if all these stories had happy people in healthy relationships! :broken_heart: :hocho: :desktop_computer: :kangaroo:

I knew something was up with Zareena when there were so many references to her asking Khalid for money. We are then tossed a red herring when Khalid tries to call her and reaches the furious man at the other end of the line (who turns out to be her father-in-law). I was glad to know that Zareena found some contentment in her married life.

I think Uzma Jalaluddin is saying in different ways in the novel that extremes are problematic and a middle road is good. Khalid comes across as a “fundy” (as Ayesha calls him) and must learn to assimilate. Zareena is a wild child who comes to appreciate some of the traditions and practices of her culture.

Here is a reflection from Jalaluddin on her own marriage. It’s not hard to see how some of this was incorporated into Ayesha at Last – e.g. “you really do marry the whole family”:

4 Likes

We can start thinking about our April selection at any time! :books:

I accidentally posted this on an earlier CC Book Club thread and am now trying to redo:

The following are repeat suggestions from last time (or even the time before) which still interest me:

This Tender Land by William Kent (include Dispatches from Pluto if the spirit moves you)

Hamnet by Maggie O’Farrell

The Twentieth Wife by Indu Sundaresan

However:

April may be the time for this one - This Tender Land by William Kent (include Dispatches from Pluto if the spirit moves you). It has previously been suggested and just missed being chosen at least once before, I think.

I am number 56 on the wait list for Hamnet. I don’t mind buying it if chosen but others might, so …

And new suggestion:

Deacon King Kong by James McBride. I’m hearing good feedback from avid readers I know - and it only has a teeny tiny waitlist at my library. Hopefully other will find the same.

I thought about suggesting Anxious People - Fredrik Backman. My daughter passed along a copy for me, so I’m good. I looked up availability through my library system, though, and the waitlist is formidable. So not a suggestion but a passing thought for what it’s worth.

2 Likes

Thanks for that column by Uzma Jaluladdin, @mary13! I can see it reflected in her novel, and it’s very good matrimonial advice, I think.

2 Likes

Great suggestions, @ignatius! Thanks.

This Tender Land by William Kent (include Dispatches from Pluto if the spirit moves you)

Hamnet by Maggie O’Farrell

The Twentieth Wife by Indu Sundaresan

Deacon King Kong by James McBride

1 Like

There were still a couple of available copies of Hamnet in my library system. So people should definitely check before voting. I don’t think I have any additional suggestions since I am on a serious junk reading jag right now.

2 Likes

I will have Hamnet in my hands by next week so I’m all set if we pick it. Otherwise, I’m open to any of the other books.
I’ve been reading regency fluff (Bridgerton series), and binge watching all (movie and TV) versions of P & P since I finished The Thief series.
I can’t think of anything else to suggest. My mind is stuck somewhere in the regency era.

1 Like

I should have Hamnet in about 2 weeks. The Twentieth Wife does not seem to be there. The other 2 are 10-15 weeks.

1 Like

Well, Hamnet costs me nothing if I use my Amazon Rewards credits, so I’m good regardless of any waitlist at the library. Usually I have less trouble library-wise than many so I’m somewhat impressed that others can get it fairly quickly. Good to know.

I requested Hamnet from the library in January, thinking it would take months to be available. In fact, I had it within a couple of weeks. I set it aside because I was reading Ayesha at Last and The One, and then as soon as I started it, the library told me the book had been requested and I couldn’t renew. :anguished:

I read the first 40 pages and thought it was riveting. I put myself back in the library queue, but I’m thinking I might buy it because even after only 40 pages, I already want to discuss it with someone. And by “someone,” I mean all of you, of course.

I looked back at our selections from 2020 and I got all of them from the library, so I figure I can treat myself, if necessary. In fact, the last CC Book Club book I bought was The Weight of Ink back in 2019. Kind of funny considering the plague / Shakespeare connection.

In short, I’m happy to call it for Hamnet, since it seems to be on everyone’s radar. Fingers crossed that anyone on a library list has only a brief wait.

All in favor?

1 Like

Aye

To be honest, I am surprised. Like others, I couldn’t think of books to suggest. So I looked back to see what had been suggested when we finished Harry’s Trees. The choices still looked good so I just copied and pasted but figured - based on my library’s waitlist - that Hamnet wouldn’t even really be considered this time. I too have been on the waitlist since January or so and it moves so slowly now that libraries are closed and there are no fines for overdue books. Anyway, interesting non-debate about which book to choose. It’s never been that easy - well, seldom that easy.

1 Like

In favor! Very interested after reading your description.

I’m currently reading
Vaccinated - One man’s Quest to defeat the world’s deadliest diseases” 2007 … not for those interested in escapism

For escapism also reading Agatha Christie
Hercule Poirot’s Christmas

1 Like

A lol moment: When I went to type Aye in response to @Mary13’s “All in favor” my fingers kept going and I ended up with Ayesha. Yep, I nearly posted Ayesha as my vote on the matter. I thought about leaving it that way just because it so reflected my brain’s lack of engagement in the morning.

4 Likes

I’ll say! I can’t decide whether that’s a good sign or a bad sign. Either you all are the most easy-going book group ever, or the pandemic has made us too weary to even choose which socks to put on, much less a book.

But I feel good about the choice – lovely writing, excellent reviews. And if @VeryHappy joins us, I promise I won’t make her read any Shakespeare play as a companion piece! :joy:

4 Likes

Aye. In favor…
This was the easiest choice and I’m happy I put the book on hold in November!

3 Likes

Oh, I’ll be there! I’ve got Hamnet on hold in two libraries, and if push comes to shove, I’ll buy it on Kindle.

4 Likes

So what else will you be reading?

I decided that I didn’t read enough new releases last year. I have started to rectify the matter in 2021.

At the moment, I have

The Wife Upstairs - Rachel Hawkins (loosely inspired by Jane Eyre because … the wife upstairs, of course)

The House on Vesper Sands - Paraic O’Donnell (Historical; mystery - I think)

and working their way to me

Finlay Donovan Is Killing It - Elle Cosimano (Listed as farcical fiction as the genre - hmm; on its way to me now)

The Survivors - Jane Harper (I like the author. We read and discussed her The Dry in the CC Book Club. I read her other two after that with The Lost Man being my favorite of the three.)

On order (which means the library has it on order, so it will be a bit before it makes it to me)

The Echo Wife - Sarah Gailey (Science fiction thriller)

Anyway I hope they straggle to me slowly (though I already have the first two). I plan to be through with at least one before I have to pick Finlay Donovan is Killing It. And so on for the next.

Anyway, I feel ready to read. We’ll see how it goes.

3 Likes

I have to purchase Hamnet, Deacon King Kong and The Twentieth Wife. None are in our library system. I can get The Twentieth Wife pretty cheap on E-bay. This Tender Land is in our Library and I own Dispatches from Pluto. They all sound great. I would probably veto Deacon King Kong. I can get Anxious People. It is due back next week from another library in our system, but I don’t know if there is a wait or not.