Balancing Accept Offer Deadlines [not all US undergraduate schools; maybe waitlist also]

Let’s say that I apply to two colleges and got two offers:

College B (backup) - offer sent at May 1 with 14 days to accept

Since I haven’t heard from College A (preferred) yet, it’s the safe bet to accept B’s offer.

But let’s say at May 20, College A sent the offer. What should I do now?

Basically, how long after an offer is accepted can I still decided to not go there?

Are you talking about wait list situations?

For regular decision, generally colleges all send out acceptances by early April and there is a month to commit.

1 Like

Yes, regular decision. I’m wondering if after I committed (or accepted the offer), can I still decide to go to another college?

Yes, happens all time, especially with students coming off of waitlists. You may just lose your deposit.

2 Likes

Unless you’re referring to acceptances off of the waitlist, this situation shouldn’t occur. You have time until May 1st to decide, so you don’t need to commit ahead of time (except for ED, but then that’s binding anyway).

2 Likes

This year I think there were a few US students applying primarily to US colleges who did not get results for Canadian schools before May 1, and I remember reading about some stress that caused them.

@yd1201 the only time this should happen is if you commit to one school…and then get off of a waitlist at a preferred school.

Is that what you are talking about?

College B (backup) - offer sent at May 1 with 14 days to accept

For regular decision colleges, as noted above, you will receive your acceptances well before May 1…and you will have until May 1 to make your choice of colleges.

1 Like

Sorry to be answering again. This would only happen if you got off the waitlist for college B, and then later got off the waitlist at college A. If that happens, then you can accept the offer from college A and let college B know you won’t be attending after all.

Has this happened to you or are you just asking in case it might?

You can decide not to go there right up until the day you start, as long as you haven’t paid the tuition and fees yet. You will lose the deposit. You might lose tuition and fees if you’ve paid.

It sounds like you’re talking about a waitlist situation. Or maybe a late acceptance if some non-selective colleges accept apps on a rolling basis right until the start of the term.

If you accept college B and get into college A later and prefer to attend college A you should simultaneously: 1) accept the offer from college A and send in a deposit; and 2) notify college B (in writing and hold onto a copy) that you are withdrawing from the college. Understand that you will likely lose your deposit paid to college B.

As others above have mentioned this does happen and it is not a problem.

What you cannot do is have deposits in at two different colleges.

1 Like

Yes, I’m actually concerned about housing assignments. If I want room type X and got room type Y, then I probably won’t go to that uni. But obviously, housing assignments take a while to come out, and by then the deadline to accept offers would be over.

Yes, that is another reason as well. I’m applying to both US and British unis.

Are you an international student?

If room type is so important to you, just make sure you are applying to schools that easily match your preferences.

2 Likes

You might want to see if there is one of these near you for advising. They can help you understand U.S. college applications and aid and all policies:

Since many students don’t commit to their school before May 1, room assignments don’t usually come out until the summer. Both of my kids learned their room assignments in July. If you find out a room assignment isn’t what you like at that point and are able to switch to another school (unlikely at that late date) the room assignment at the second school will probably be no better.

2 Likes

Do you have special requirements for a room type? If so, you’ll need to put a request in and probably have backing documentation.

If not, and you’re being choosy, well, you might find your options limited and be unnecessarily restricting your choices. Freshmen typically get the less great rooms, though it varies hugely. If you want a great freshman dorm, you can’t beat Dickinson at Binghamton University. But my kid was lucky, as he could have ended up at a different dorm. And you have to apply and get in.

Also, at some colleges, for housing, you can put down a smaller housing deposit once you are accepted. In some cases, the earlier folks doing so get the first choices of dorms and rooms. So…this is something to consider.

If you get off of a waitlist, it’s possible you will have less options.

But really, I think this deadline question is more that you don’t understand the U.S college application and acceptance process. You need to read EVERY website for colleges of interest to you. These websites will have the deadlines for when applications for admission and financial aid MUST be received. And most also give an approximate date when notifications of admission or not will be sent. This varies by college so read each website for colleges of interest. Do not miss these deadlines by even a minute.

3 Likes

Also note that you can’t double deposit in the US so you can’t enroll at two schools simultaneously. As noted if you give up school one because you don’t like the housing, you likely won’t have a school two offer still in the table. And if you did, housing would likely be worse.

I saw your other thread. If you want to live off campus or require a single, there are plenty of schools that fit those criteria. Just do you due diligence now before applying.

3 Likes

I’ve had kids at 6 universities, housing choices varies a lot. At one school, you list your preferred campuses in order, at another you choose suite or traditional, at another you choose your dorm and room based on how early you applied, at another you choose your room and dorm based on a lottery. It’s a crapshoot.

1 Like