Banking in tuscaloosa

<p>We’re also in the “not sure what to do since there is no BofA” boat. We’re either going to open D an account at Wachovia/Wells Fargo or just keep BofA. If your bank doesn’t have an ATM handy, it’s good to know that students can cash a check for up to $25 at the SUPe Store.</p>

<p>We’re also in the BOA situation. Thought we’d open a local account while we were there for Bama Bound, but then realized that she could get cash during a purchase at publix. Since our accounts are linked so I can transfer money directly if I need to, and she already has the Student advantage accounts set up with a debit card (which most places accept anyway; I mean, I hardly ever have cash on me now) I think I’ll keep things the way they are with BOA.</p>

<p>Kroger may be “national”, but it’s still not where I’m from…Orange County, Calif. </p>

<p>There are only 3 Kroger stores in Calif…all in Fresno. </p>

<p>We have Albertson’s in Orange County, but I don’t think it’s in every state, either. </p>

<p>Some stores use different names. In Calif, Safeway is Vons. In some mid-west states, Albertsons is Jewel.</p>

<p>I haven’t seen any place in Tuscaloosa that doesn’t accept credit or debit cards apart from things like club fees and buying textbooks from other students. You should be fine keeping your current bank and you can always open a new account somewhere else at a later date.</p>

<p>M2ck, Kroger has multiple brands with California locations. IIRC, Kroger has no Kroger stores in WA or OR, but two of the most popular supermarket/hypermarket chains are Kroger-owned. According to Wikipedia, Kroger left Birmingham in the 70’s.</p>

<p>Edit: Ralph’s and Food4Less are Kroger-owned and are in Anaheim/Orange County. Still, I do understand your point.</p>

<p>LOL, when I first glanced at the subject line for this thread I thought it said “Baking in Tuscaloosa”. It’s hot in Memphis, too.</p>

<p>Ahhh…Kroger now owns Ralphs. I didn’t realize that they merged about 12 years ago.</p>

<p>I remember when Carls Jr bought Hardees. That was an odd purchase. Carls Jr was only in the west and by buying Hardees, it tripled in size.</p>

<p>So, where would be a good place for a Freshmen to start banking for the University of Alabama?</p>

<p>Just a quick update with good news about Alabama Credit Union. Got a message in DSs account today about expanded branches. There are now quite a few more than before - we have one 3 mi. from us here in Illinois! For those were this may have been an issue this is great news!</p>

<p>Omega…sorry, didn’t see your post earlier.</p>

<p>I think banking at Alabama Credit Union is very easy. Branch on campus!</p>

<p>WOW, AL34 where can I get those updates? I’d love to have access to a branch in Southwest Virginia!</p>

<p>I have a Suntrust account and my mom decided to get a student account with Wachovia for me for school. There are Wachovia locations/atms on campus (my mom looked last time we were in Tusc.) and their student account is really great. You can choose to do a “Way2Save” account, for free, and every time you use the check card, you get a dollar put into the account, and it earns a 5% interest for the first year! Great to get a saving started in college without trying very hard. I’m sorry, I don’t want to sound like a sales rep :slight_smile: But believe me, my mom HATES Wachovia, so she wouldn’t have helped me start the account unless she really believed it was a good thing :slight_smile: </p>

<p>good luck choosing what’s best for you guys!</p>

<p>Yeah we went with Wachovia as well. Only bank that has branches close by us as well as near campus. We don’t even have a credit union within 20 miles.</p>

<p>Here’s the new ACU ATM information -
Please use the link below to access a directory of surcharge-free CO-OP ATM’s: [CO-OP</a> Financial Services](<a href=“http://www.co-opfs.org/public/locators/atmlocator/index.cfm]CO-OP”>http://www.co-opfs.org/public/locators/atmlocator/index.cfm)</p>

<p>Reviving this thread…anyone have any new suggestions or updates for incoming freshmen and banking in Tuscaloosa? It’s been a year and I’m sure there has been a bank merger or two and maybe a new branch bank or ATM opened up near campus. Any additional ideas would be welcome.</p>

<p>Good idea, my bank up here is ridic with the atm fees and they don’t have branches out of NE, too bad as they had a good linked account we could use.
H has a Chase, are there any Chase banks in T-town?</p>

<p>Chase has three? ATMs somewhere in Tuscaloosa, but none near campus.</p>

<p>Chase has totally free checking for college students. You can deposit money at your local branch (Northeast) and your student can either write checks or use their ATM card. You can purchase items at Publix or at other stores (Target or Sam’s Club) and get cash back, you can also get direct deposit for student’s paychecks (if they have a job). Very convenient and you earn bonus points on ATM card for free stuff, here is a link:
<a href=“https://www.chase.com/online/Checking/chase-checking-account.htm[/url]”>https://www.chase.com/online/Checking/chase-checking-account.htm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Plus you do not have to link this to a parent’s account nor do you have to be nineteen years old as for Alabama Credit Union accounts.</p>

<p>Thanks for the suggestions. Any others?</p>

<p>I don’t think Chase has any ATMs in Tuscaloosa. I just went to the Chase website and put Tuscaloosa in and nothing came up. </p>

<p>So, unless those ATMs are new and not on website yet, they may not exist in T-town.</p>

<p>*nor do you have to be nineteen years old as for Alabama Credit Union accounts. *</p>

<p>You don’t have to be 19 if you have your parent present when you open the account (the parent is also on the acct). My kids have had ACU accts since they were 16.</p>

<p>Think Chase might be the way to go then as we can easily get money in. Too bad about the atms not being near campus. S will have to be smart about it buy something inexpensive and get cash back to avoid the atm fees then. Or, if there is some big issue I’m sure he can get to an atm in T-town.</p>