Banks or Credit Unions close to campus

<p>Are there any banks or credit unions close to campus? For those of you who belong to a credit union at home that is not in the Tuscaloosa area, how do you deposit into your child’s account? </p>

<p>More and more banks are letting you make “external transfers,” meaning online transfers into or out of banks not in their system. It’s really simple for me to go online and transfer money to my daughter’s checking account while she’s in Spain. The transfer takes about three days, so you have to plan ahead a little. </p>

<p>My son opened an account, with my husband and myself as joint account holders, at Alabama Credit Union, which has a branch at the Ferg. It belongs to a nationwide network of credit unions. In fact, we can walk in our credit union in Pennsylvania, deposit a check to the Alabama Credit Union, and the money is credited to his account in Tuscaloosa. There is no additional fee to do this. </p>

<p>Great! Thank you both so much! :slight_smile: </p>

<p>The Alabama Credit Union has a branch in the Ferg and out by the Rec Center next to Arby’s. Regions Bank and Wells Fargo are close to campus. </p>

<p>If your bank has online/mobile deposits, it’s not incredibly important to have a local bank account, provided your student has enough cash on hand in the event they lose their debit card. Publix has a free ATM for members of many financial institutions from across the US <a href=“http://www.publix.com/services/presto/NetworkMembers.do”>http://www.publix.com/services/presto/NetworkMembers.do&lt;/a&gt;. One can also get cash back when purchasing items at Publix and many other stores. </p>

<p>Some people like to put a lot of money on a student’s Bama Cash account for purchases at Publix and local stores and restaurants. While this does work, it takes a lot more time as the cashier has to process the transaction elsewhere in the store and then swipes Bama Cash’s corporate credit card at the register. </p>

<p>Apart from some bars, almost everywhere in Tuscaloosa accepts debit/credit cards. </p>

<p>Personally, I really like Alabama Credit Union. They just seem to have competent employees. I like that it is part of that 4000+ credit union system. I also like that there is a branch on campus.</p>

<p>they have an easy to use mobile app. you can deposit checks by smart phone easily.</p>

<p>Alabama Credit Union has been great. We stopped by there after Spring Break to see about closing it, and will probably keep it open as the shared branching is very easy. We have a credit union at home that is also on the same network. Since son has had his account for four years, had paychecks from summer jobs on and off campus in Alabama direct deposited into them, he has a great history established there. He can apply for a real grown up credit card from there now to use for his adult life if he likes.</p>

<p>One thing we did find out, though, is that where it is located in the Ferg will be under construction this summer, so Bama Bound parents will not have the luxury that us past folks have had of walking in there during BB and opening up an account with the student IN THE FERG. Now, you can go to the main branch, which is right behind Newk’s and Arby’s on University, to open the account this summer at Bama Bound, and they’ll be back in the Ferg once construction is complete.</p>

<p>When we opened son’s account four years ago, we were actually serviced by someone who usually worked at the branch by the Mercedes plant. They moved people over to help with the influx of new students. Probably will do the same this summer.</p>

<p>Son had a job in Cottondale a couple of summers ago and there was a branch between his job and campus, where he lived, a 30 minute commute every day, and he’d often stop by there to conduct business if needed, but once he got the direct deposit going, he was able to use the ATM at any branch if needed.</p>

<p>When son goes to grad school next year, he will probably open a credit union account up there as well, hopefully one on the same network, and actually get a checking account, where we’ll be able to easily make transfers to get him set up there. </p>

<p>Another vote for the Alabama Credit Union - at least as a backup account, if not the primary account. </p>

<p>DD uses her home checking account/debit card (at Bank of America) for almost everything. Its convenient because I can instantly transfer funds from my account to hers. Nevertheless, I insisted that DD open an account at the credit union as a backup source of funds, in case she lost her debit and credit cards from home - there are no BofA branches within 100 miles. (It can take several days to a week to get replacement cards.) I wanted her to be able to walk into the Ferg branch and get cash on her signature, if she needed it. She also uses the account to deposit occasional checks (from grandma and friends splitting expenses) and to get currency for purchases around town, without worrying about ATM fees.</p>

<p>There was only a $1 fee to open the account relationship and you need at least $25 in a savings account (the minimum share to be a credit union member). There is no minimum balance for the checking/debit card account and no fee to get the debit/ATM card. For me, it’s cheap insurance for kid 750 miles from home.</p>

<p>Just be aware that with the 19 age of majority in Alabama, you will likely need to be a co-owner of the account(s) with your incoming freshman.</p>

<p>I opened a joint account with DS at a credit union back home in NY. I can deposit money there, or at almost any other credit union, and DS can withdraw from the Alabama Credit Union ATM at no charge.</p>