Bates Fulbright Recipients

In a remarkable achievement, Bates students received 24 Fulbrights this year, the most awards among LACs:

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Top-Producers-of-Fulbright/248001

Yay! Go Bates!

The advising is fantastic. My daughter went through the process and they prepared her very thoroughly.

Part of the reason Bates students are doing so well in Fulbright is that the professors write great recommendations. To any students out there who are looking for great professor/student collaboration, Bates is going to give you that. My daughter has had so many excellent opportunities and experiences, in large part because of her professors.

I will digress a bit, but I think it’s worth saying that her experiences at Bates have prepared her well for her post-grad life. She has a great job lined up and is pursuing other opportunities too. As a parent, I feel Bates has been worth every penny.

What’s the difference between a Fulbright Scholar and a Fulbright Student?

@wisteria100 from the website:

What is the difference between Fulbright “students” and Fulbright “scholars” in the Fulbright Program?

Fulbright “students” are participants in the Fulbright Student Program, which enables graduating college seniors, graduate students, early career professionals and artists to study, teach, or conduct research. A bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) is generally required by the start of the Fulbright grant period. Some exceptions may apply, especially for artists.

Fulbright “scholars” are participants in the Fulbright Scholar Program, which enables college and university faculty members with a Ph.D. (or equivalent terminal degree) to teach and/or conduct research. The Fulbright Scholar Program is also open to artists and professionals. A small number of grants are also offered annually to U.S. international education administrators through the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Chronicle article recognizes several other LACs as well:

1 Like

As an update, Bates remains notable, placing tied for 10th in its category in Fulbright Awards offered this year:

https://www.chronicle.com/article/top-producers-of-fulbright-u-s-scholars-and-students-2020-21

1 Like

@merc81: Which are the four baccalaureate institutions that are top producers of both Fulbright scholars & Fulbright students ?

URichmond, Middlebury, Pomona and Willamette.

1 Like

Bates College’s production of Fulbright students is absolutely outstanding.

Bates produced the same number (24) of Fulbright students as did Northwestern University (24), University of Iowa (24), & the University of Washington at Seattle (24).

Bates produced more Fulbright students (24) than did Stanford (22), Johns Hopkins (22), and Duke (21).

2 Likes