Be honest: Would you be sad if your kids decide to forgo marriage/parenthood?

It’s totally irrelevant to me whether a relationship is formalized by marriage or not, though if not I’d counsel my kids on making sure the legal side of things is taken care of.

As for kids - whatever they want. None, own, adopted. I assume I’ll love grandchildren if they come along, but my vision of growing old has never really been about me being at the fireside with a horde of grandkids or whatever. The only reason I’d be sad about not having, would be if the child of mine in question wanted kids and wasn’t able to have/adopt.

4 Likes

You would be correct. I do NOT mean it the way it sounds.

But…now I’m stepping in it. Ugh.
If you have your own kids versus adopting you start with a known quantity. I know that my kid would not be born with drug problems. I know their lineage. I know the health backgrounds.
I know they have traits that come in the family.

Ready to be flamed. Pretending it’s Reddit here so okay.

I think adoption is wonderful… But the question was “Why not adopt?”

1 Like

life goes on.

Agree. That’s why I said I know there’s no guarantee a sibling would making sharing the burden easier. In fact my new SIL has a problematic sister. I foresee her being a PITA to him if they ever have to work together on parent stuff. I’d still err on side of having more than one if possible.

I wonder if covid has also decreased interest in parenting. The pandemic years were very hard on parents of young children in many places.

When I factor in social media, I kind of see the opposite of what has been mentioned above…I see a lot of people on social media glorifying their marriage and children posting all the amazing milestones and happy faces, like everyone is living their best lives. When I talk to some of these people in real life I hear them complaining about their own bad marriage, $$ struggles, child’s issues(anxiety/suicide attempts/academic struggles/unhappy in general). From social media I would assume that everyone has the picture perfect family and marriage/raising children is super easy/fun.

3 Likes

Been avoiding this topic because I don’t know how to answer it without sadness.

I don’t really care about my kids “having kids” part because that’s on them. In my extended family, there are grandkids everywhere, and I am the “Great Aunt Bea” who bakes and sends them cookies for all occasions based on whatever books they are reading (i.e. The Gingerbread Man, if you Give a Mouse a Cookie, etc.)

I care about the fact that 2 of my 3 kids have never dated anyone. Anyone, ever.

My dd is a wonderful person, great personality, and has tons of friends (male and female) from HS and college, who are all marrying/or married and are in various stages of those relationships.

She did well in her medical school program but was so busy trying to do well, for that demanding discipline, that she didn’t really have time for relationships. She’s still in that field and I see her after she’s spoken with her best friend (re wedding plans), as being really sad. No she’s not the “model magazine” beautiful person and she’s a little chunky like Mom and Dad, but she’s still beautiful. She’s also extremely kind. She’s heading into her 30’s and I think she’s starting to think about it.

Our son had girls waiting, all over the place for him, at his games and matches in high school. In college, he had one girl wandering into his room, all of the time! (I met her and had to kick her out of his room because we had to talk about some financial issues and she just couldn’t take the multiple hints!) He explained to us that she did it all the time and he tried be nice, but she misinterpreted his kindness.

He’s popular and kind, but in high school, he just wanted to focus on top grades and whatever our extended family was doing.
He has had lots of friends (both male and female) in HS and college, but he’s a bit on the shy side and “nerdy”(a lot like his dad) when initiating. He didn’t go to Prom because his “best friends weren’t going” (a number of them were rejected and hurt when they asked). I know that our son was asked (per reports from other parents) so, he and his friends went out for pizza, bowling, and ice cream on prom night.

They both know and love that my husband and I have a great relationship, but I don’t know if that’s is what’s holding them back. “reality versus expectations?”

My daughter has met some real jerks in the med school program and in her internships. Lack of respect and courtesy.
Son doesn’t tolerate women who curse. He believes it to be very disrespectful (as do we). (Although he does it out of earshot! Pot, kettle, black!!!)
DD hates it too.

Eldest, who was recently married, is “training” her new husband not to use it around us. Our siblings (myself and hubby’s), as well as the rest of the extended family, do not use profanity.
(My Daddy’s big “Texan” family, on occasion did, but I understand that my TEXAN granddaddy “brought out the belt” to keep that “in control”.)

I deviate.
Sad, because I have great kids and I want them all to be happy, but not alone as they age. If I were to ever have grandkids, it would be icing on the cake. I just want happy kids.

5 Likes

Our (now adult) D hasn’t ever had a steady either - in hs she was the nerd with her head in a book and hanging with the “arty kids” (theater, creatives and music geeks, etc) in college she was too focused on the rigors that came with Parsons + working to make ends meet. Her career has been top of her list since. Her “ideal” person would be someone who loves travel preferably to unique locales, vegan, would rather float in and out of museums vs sports bars, has a good sense of humor, loves to read and loves cats and dogs. When she was 22 and told me these things I said “I can’t believe I’m going to tell my 22 yo this, but your dating pool is in their 30s” - I too hope someone special comes into her life and takes her heart by surprise!

4 Likes

I understand. Neither D nor S dated in high school. I don’t know for sure, because D lived far from us during and after college, but I don’t think she dated; she definitely didn’t have a BF. Eventually, she met a great guy at the right time in her life. They have been married for several years & have a child. S, OTOH, did have a long-time GF his last year in college & for several years after. I know that he isn’t happy now. I don’t want anything in particular for him - I just want him to be happy.

3 Likes

S never dated except for briefly after two short term relationships — one in college and one shortly after. Fast forward to his mid 30s. He’s in a long term (5+ year) relationship and engaged.

D has attended proms with her HS friends but never dated. She’s in early 30s and very attractive with many male and female friends, plus large online group of friends. I’d really like her to have a special partner in her life but no idea if or when that may happen. She seems ok with her current life.

2 Likes

I don’t know how your kids would feel about this but I think a good option for them is online dating. (Don’t forget there are multiple sites and multiple scenarios to choose from)

With online dating people can get some info about you right away through your bio. If not swearing is important to you, put that in there. If you’re of a certain religious or political belief put it in there. Pick some great pics that show a happy smile. Not everyone is looking for a model to date. :blush:.

Medical school is tough and a long haul. Might be refreshing to meet some people NOT related to that scene!

5 Likes

Yes, S met his fiancée online, as did 3 of my nieces who are happily married. It does seem like a lot of happy couples meet that way.

1 Like

I feel very very blessed that dd and her wife have 2 littles, and DS and wife have 1, and I adore being a hands-on grandmother.

I have an uncle and aunt that never married or had kids, and who live in a different country from me. I am their closest relative and am sad that there is no one to be there for them as they age. I do what I can…. I think it is fine to be single and w/o kids when you are young, but it is concerning as you age if there is no one who can look out for your best interests.

2 Likes

Older DD started using Bumble this summer. She has had a couple relationships in the past but at this point had no idea where to look. First guy fizzled out quick but the second one is going really well!

She was hesitant to try online because that doesn’t make a “met cute” story but it really does make sense helping you find who’s looking. Like you may see someone in the grocery store but you don’t just ask them out of the blue usually!

2 Likes

And if you do get asked out in the grocery store, it might not work out well. Just watch the movie Fresh!

Neither of my kids did online dating, but I think it’s smart. I know several people who met their spouse that way.

Off topic but as a caregiver to an elderly parent, I wonder who is going to take care of our kids’ generation if they don’t have kids in signficant numbers. The entire structure of elder care is going to have to change. (Don’t want to start a tangent on this.)

I had three kids and two of them plan to adopt, if they can afford it and have either a partner or sufficient support. All three are now in their 30’s.

Perhaps this is not too off-topic given that a few posters have expressed concerns about their kids’ futures along those lines.

Agree things would likely have to change at a societal level. But I’m seeing some single, childless people I know address this on a personal level by making conscious decisions to live near their close friends, arrange advance health care directives, etc, and help each other out with the inevitable health issues that crop up as we age. I know one couple who took in their friend and cared for her as she was dying of cancer.

I guess I know a lot of people who don’t live in the traditional (nuclear and extended) family setting, so I’ve seen a number of folks be creative about this. It’s also why I don’t equate being alone with loneliness. The key is having close relationships in one’s life; they don’t necessarily have to be relatives.

5 Likes

My BF has never married or had children. She has a younger brother, but he will not be of any help to her in her old age (he was no help when their parents died … proving the point that just because a kid isn’t an “only” doesn’t necessarily mean that their sibling/s will be of any help with their parents). She’s well aware that she will need to have enough money to pay others to help her as she ages. She has lived her life spending less/saving more so that she will be able to have enough. She also realizes how fortunate she is to be in a position to be able to do that.

We’ve never considered that our son has any obligation whatsoever to care for us in any way as we age. That’s all on us. He has his own life to live and our aging needs should not be part of his concern or responsibility at any stage.

4 Likes

This is how DH and I view aging and eventual health deterioration issues.

Neither of us want either of our children to be burdened by any health care needs etc. I don’t want them to have that role. We have always saved $$ and will continue to do so to make sure we can have others (medical/nursing and facilities) that are this role instead.

1 Like