Being hispanic in college admissions

<p>As a Hispanic applicant, I was wondering why the Common Application asks which specific country or region we are from. My family is from South America (which is very general), but specific countries were listed as well such as Mexico, Cuba, and Spain. Why does it matter in terms of evaluating an applicant?</p>

<p>As you know, Hispanic is a rather broad term. There are cultural differences between people from different backgrounds. Some colleges and universities might be interested in mixing it up a bit - for example if they are loaded up on Cubans, being not-Cuban this year could be a good thing. None of this is enough to get you in if you don’t meet the basic standards, but if the particular college/university cares it could tip the balance.</p>

<p>As to the ones specifically listed, you could compare it to the options on the last US Census forms. I expect that that is where the list comes from.</p>

<p>Yes, within the Hispanic pool of applicants there are factors which affect college admissions, including country of origin. MA and PR are the two groups which are the most underrepresented in US colleges, so they will get the greatest preference. See this and other threads on this forum for some comments:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/1229462-does-being-hispanic-have-any-impact-all.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/1229462-does-being-hispanic-have-any-impact-all.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Thanks for the clarification. I checked Hispanic (from South America) and White (I think it was required), and am first generation.</p>

<p>Wait-- are you white? It shouldn’t be required for you to check it if you are not actually white.</p>

<p>You are not required to check either ethnicity (Hispanic) or race (white, NA, etc.); you can mark one, both or neither.</p>

<p>Checking white will not change your status as Hispanic, as Hispanics can be and are of any race(s). Many South Americans are white and many are mestizo.</p>

<p>Just to clarify, you are first gen to college (anywhere) right? First gen to the US does not make a difference for college admissions purposes.</p>

<p>I don’t think it was required but since Hispanic is an ethnicity and not a race, I also checked “white.”</p>

<p>My parents haven’t attended college at all, so I believe that I do qualify as first gen for college admissions purposes.</p>