Being Jewish

<p>Hey I am from New York and am Jewish. I have never visted the collegesoon and was wondering if it was worth the visit. Is there a decent amount of jews, would i get bullied, or will everybody be at church when I am sitting alone in my room. I am not saying University of Alabama is like this, but please tell me the truth.Thank you</p>

<p>Jamoboo- Im not familiar with Alabama but from what I have read, I think there is a decent size Hillel at Alabama now. There is a long thread that discusses this and many schools:
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/931514-colleges-jewish-b-student.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/931514-colleges-jewish-b-student.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>If you post there, some Jewish parents with students at Alabama may give you some feedback as well.</p>

<p>Thank you for the reply:) I will check it out.</p>

<p>No one would bully you about your faith. There are Jewish students and professors at Bama.</p>

<p>Bama has had a Hillel for over 50 years. There is a temple on campus.</p>

<p>[University</a> of Alabama: Hillel](<a href=“http://www.bamahillel.org/]University”>http://www.bamahillel.org/)</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.shalomtuscaloosa.com/[/url]”>http://www.shalomtuscaloosa.com/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Really that sounds great! And about the bully comment I didn’t expect anybody too, but you never know. And the temple is a plus.</p>

<p>Welcome to The University of Alabama. You will be very happy there as a Northerner, as a New Yorker and as a member of the Jewish faith. The university has a history of being welcoming to those of the Jewish faith. There is a very active Hillel on campus.
Here is a link:[University</a> of Alabama: Hillel](<a href=“http://www.bamahillel.org/]University”>http://www.bamahillel.org/)
The Hillel was founded in 1934 and the new building was dedicated in April of 2011.
Although I don’t think the percentage of students who belong to the Hillel is large in comparison to the student body size, belonging to an actively involved group is a good option even if it is small. But remember not all students who are Jewish will join or be actively practicing, just like there will be many Catholics who do not go to mass or join church groups. There is a variety of religious affiliations represented on campus, as well as agnostics and atheists. It is a personal choice as to how involved you get in religious activities.</p>

<p>I am so interested but I just can’t seem to convince my mom. The only thing she says is " your in the south", I will never let you go there. I explained the Hillel thing and she just keeps saying no.</p>

<p>Tell her Tulane’s also in the south? The Jewish population on campus is huge… We even had a candle lighting on campus the other day. I know the south is the “Christian belt” but you won’t have a problem being Jewish in the south. It’s not New York though, very few Lubavitcher Chassidim walk here and not the best selection of kosher restaurants…</p>

<p>Invite your mom onto the Jewish parents thread I posted the link to. She’ll be able to ask questions and share her concerns with other Jewish parents. </p>

<p>Eventually, a visit to the school and the Hillel will also give you both an idea of what it is like to be Jewish at Alabama.</p>

<p>My D is on the exec board of Hillel at UA. PM me and I can ask her if she can reach out to answer any of your and your Moms concerns. Both the temple and Hillel buildings are 1-2 years old … Very nice facilities. Shabbat dinner every Friday is a nice gathering time for all. There is Jewish Greek life. Bama is no longer a major regional university, it’s a major national university with greater than 50 percent out of state attendance. We’re from Chicago and we had similar concerns, but seriously have no regrets. You could not make a better choice … Visit and you will be convinced! Roll Tide!!!</p>

<p>My experience is that there are few places in the U.S. whose support for Israel exceeds that of the Christians in the Bible Belt.</p>

<p>I think your Mother might be very surprised, very pleasantly so.</p>

<p>I hope you make it to 'Bama.</p>

<p>Roll Tide.</p>

<p>* Both the temple and Hillel buildings are 1-2 years old … Very nice facilities*</p>

<p>Yes, new buildings were built since the members outgrew the former facilities. </p>

<p>I can relate to concerns about attending a southern school. As a Catholic, I grew up being told that southerners hated Catholics. So, I was concerned about treatment, etc. My worries were unfounded.</p>

<p>I am going to show her all the links and hopefully we will make it to the visit. I know this is not like new york, but I was hoping for a different enviornment. I personally love the idea of southern living, hospitality, and the school spirit bama is supposed to have. Hopefully all the posts and comments will change her mind, and then I will be apart of this great school. Thank you all for your comments.</p>

<p>My son is a Jewish kid from NY at UA. He (and I) had the same concerns as you, but he loves it there, no problems at all. I could put you two in touch if you want to ask him questions. I would be happy to speak with you and your mom as well.</p>

<p>Thanks a lot, but my mother is not going to budge. She is stubborn and she told me to drop the subject. I guess I am going to have to look somewhere. Nothing is going to change her mind, thanks all and any suggestions for other colleges in the south with more jews I guess will make her happy.</p>

<p>Other important things no on has mentioned: </p>

<p>First, UA has both a very strong Jewish frat and sorority. The frat recently expanded their home on Frat row. See the frat’s vids here: [1:</a> Brotherhood - YouTube](<a href=“1: Brotherhood - YouTube”>1: Brotherhood - YouTube) [003_Improvements.flv</a> - YouTube](<a href=“003_Improvements.flv - YouTube”>003_Improvements.flv - YouTube)</p>

<p>This one shows the improvements to the house made since the other two vids were posted:<br>
<a href=“ZBT Alabama updated Chapter house video 1 - YouTube”>ZBT Alabama updated Chapter house video 1 - YouTube;

<p>Here you can see the beautiful new front of the ZBT house: <a href=“ZBT Alabama updated chapter house video 2 - YouTube”>ZBT Alabama updated chapter house video 2 - YouTube;

<p>Maybe you should ask one of the members to speak with your mom? </p>

<p>Second, Birmingham has a fairly large Jewish population. The Mountain Brook suburb in fact, has a significant Orthodox population. </p>

<p>In Birmingham, there are two synagogues within a football field of one another, off of Highland Ave. One is a Conservative congregation, and the other Reform. Both congregations are large, longstanding, and their temples are gorgeous. </p>

<p>Finally, the main radio broadcaster for the Alabama Football games is Jewish. His name is Eli Gold. His daughter goes to UA. Bert Bank, another Jewish man, was another beloved broadcaster from the past. </p>

<p>Mark Levin, the neoconservative Jewish radio talk show host, has his daughter at UA, not the North. He loves UA. </p>

<p>I grew up in Montgomery, Alabama, and had a Jewish teacher and attended church in a building that was originally created as a synagogue during the Civil War. Beautiful building, originally called the House of Light. The Attorney General for the Confederacy, Judah P. Benjamin, was Jewish. </p>

<p>Bernie Madoff, who is Jewish, attended UA his first year in college because he couldn’t get into the Jewish fraternity at Harvard. So he got admitted to UA and joined the Jewish frat at UA so he could be a member after transferring to Harvard.</p>

<p>Seriously, there’s more respect for Jews than Catholics in a bunch of churches here (the state). Most Baptists I’ve encountered take pride in saying that Jews are God’s chosen people, and really don’t care about what religion you are so long as you’re Christian or quietly atheist. The only real way I could see you getting ridiculed is if you were actively atheist in a fairly pious city; our population isn’t as intolerant as most people claim (race and political affiliation can earn you ridicule outside a university setting, as can being an LSU fan in certain football seasons).</p>

<p>For anyone who is curious, the “chosen people” term derives from the receiving of the Torah event at Sinai. It does not mean that we believe that God has favorites- or that we believe someone has to be Jewish to be a good person. It wouldn’t make me feel any better to know that Catholics, or any other religious group, was experiencing discrimination. Sometimes it is not easy to be a religious minority, but some areas and colleges are tolerant and accepting.</p>

<p>The south is a different culture than New York, however, colleges have their own unique culture. This is why “fit” is an important part of the college decision. As a parent, I want to be part of the process, but also I want my child to be happy at their school. For the OP, I hope you and your mom can come to a solution that is win-win for both of you.</p>

<p>Well, there’s not really discrimination outside of church environments, and I should’ve made that distinction. I’ve seen a lot of criticism directed toward other religions from, again, extremist groups and churches, but I’ve never seen anyone alone attack someone just for having another religion. If you’re part of a certain group, you’re bound to be criticized for something, but I don’t feel there are active or even passive attacks against others on a religious basis unless someone subjects himself/herself to debate (i.e., don’t bring up the topic of Jesus in conversation if you’re Jewish). Also, I didn’t mean to imply there is discrimination against Catholics (there isn’t), but some Baptist groups attempt to shoot down Catholic doctrines probably to solidify the faith or spectrum of newer members. As I meant to say, though, universities are much more tolerant than the general population, even though the general population couldn’t care less about religious views anyway (that doesn’t necessarily hold for political views and, in some cases, racial status).</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Maybe not the best example…</p>