Berkeley or UCLA

<p>My daughter got into both Berkeley and UCLA. We’re trying to figure out which offers a better undergraduate experience. She’s interested in English, Spanish, history. She wants a fun social life and will not have a car. Do you know anything about UCLA’s honors program? Does it offer a big advantage over Berkeley which doesn’t have one? I’ve also heard UCLA is offering four years of housing compared to Berkeley’s two. Is this true? Finally, is it hard being at UCLA without a car?</p>

<p>fiskelove,
My niece goes to UCLA (is currently a senior) and my son goes to CAL (currently a 3rd year)</p>

<p>My niece has had a fine time. She doesn't have a car and has lived in the dorms all 4 years. She is an RA this year. She was in the honors program, but I don't think it gives you much more other than priority registration for courses. Niece has been very active in a few organizations.</p>

<p>As for CAL, dorm housing is very expensive (the most expensive of all UCs). It is very easy to be at CAL without a car. S has been active in coop, radio, sports. </p>

<p>Both my niece and son have had good undergraduate experiences. If there is nothing specific that draws your daughter to one or the other, then I suggest she go with her gut. </p>

<p>hope this helps.</p>

<p>I think the biggest advantage offered by UCLA's honors program is priority registration.</p>

<p>As to housing, I think few students at each school use the school's offers for guranteed housing- students at both schools tend to move out for their second year, although this may be somewhat more true of Cal than UCLA. Students at Cal can (and do) get housing if they try for their third year, and my friends who applied got the best housing they requested- perhaps they were lucky. Anyway, the point is the cultures are currently geared towards off campus, so few try (at least here at Cal, when they're used as back-ups) but both are changing (I would guess UCLA's more than Cal's).</p>

<p>I'm faced with the same decision: Berkeley or UCLA. </p>

<p>She should go to the school that has the strongest program for what she plans on majoring in. Unfortunately for me, I have no idea what I want to do. :/</p>

<p>cjue go to the school you like the best. IMO they are entirely different places. Have you visited yet?</p>

<p>Not yet. I can visit Cal whenever I want since I live only 30 minutes away. I need to visit UCLA before I make my decision though.</p>

<p>For those trying to make thise tough choice, go with the school you think you will enjoy the next 4-5 years of life the most. The quality of education is essentially the same, although I am sure many will claim cal is just flat above evey UC. Congratulation to all of you, I wish I was in your position right now.</p>