UCLA Honors v Berkeley

<p>So… Only 3 more months until decisions come out!!!</p>

<p>I hear the UCLA Honors program is quite excellent and people who graduate with honors end up doing better than people who graduate from Berkeley (I know that’s a horrible generalization, but w/e)</p>

<p>Have any of you heard stuff like that? Which one is more competitive/ better for grad school?</p>

<p>I don’t think Berkeley has an honors program, right? </p>

<p>I’m leaning towards UCLA right now because the school is gorgeous and being in honors has a lot of perks. I’ve heard they treat you like students at private schools (small class sizes, library priv., etc)</p>

<p>Berkeley doesn't have an honors program. A lot of the people I know in honors seem to think its a waste of time, since you do have to take other classes and such. True, you will probably do better, but that's more from the fact that you have to maintain a certain GPA to continue being in honors. I would choose from which campus you like more, since, while you are going to get some perks, it hardly seems worth it.</p>

<p>I would choose based on which campus you like more and which school you live closer to, in case you don't want to be too far from home, or if you do want to be far from home, lol.</p>

<p>You might ask how many students are able to stay in the UCLA honors program for all four years. I know a few really bright kids who could not maintain the gpa required to stay in the program. Regardless, if you have the good fortune to be choosing between those two schools, just pick the one you like.</p>

<p>Go to the school you like better. The academic/job placement difference is negligible.</p>

<p>As other said, it doesn't really matter. At Berkeley, students aren't divided by honors vs. non-honors (I think that was the reason Berkeley chose not to make an honors college), but many of the benefits of an honors college you can get in the best scholarships--e.g. Regents' and Chancellors'.</p>

<p>"Berkeley" = honors program!</p>

<p>^So I've heard them say. Then the first semester grades come back :rolleyes:</p>

<p>definitely choose the campus where you would feel most comfortable. UCLA Honors has some nice perks, but if you check the numbers, you'll see that close to half of the incoming Frosh qualify for it (gpa+test scores), so it's not that selective coming in....and maintaining a 3.5 gpa may not be easy if you are a science major.</p>

<p>The honors program alone is not worth choosing UCLA over Cal. Now, keep in mind that I DID choose UCLA over Cal, but the value of the "College Honors" notation on your degree is minor at best.</p>