Best bet schools for African Americans

<p>I dont know much about admissions, but i have heard that AA is not allowed in any UC school. Clearly that makes it difficult for other races to attend; not to say that were incapable of competing without AA. Ill start it off, with schools that are very much pro-AA and are generally more lenient with african american Admissions.
From what ive read, Harvard is definitely one. Any more?</p>

<p>Stanford
HCBUs</p>

<p>Why are you asking?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I agree we get along just fine without it but it doesn’t hurt to have it and I am more than willing to take something that may have only been offered to me because of AA.</p>

<p>I heard that Vandy is commited to the principles of AA</p>

<p>University of Michigan, University of Virginia, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, Rutgers University - New Brunswick, University of Maryland College Park, Yale University, Columbia University, University of Pennsylvania, Georgetown University… There are others.</p>

<p>The best bet for any African-American is the HBCU’s. They’re the only place where you know for certain that you can relate to the rest of the student body. You should really take a look at schools with very little African-American presence if you want AA to be considered. I would recommend the HBCU’s to any Black person, preferably Howard. It is called The Black Harvard for a reason.</p>

<p>Princeton evidently(they sent me a bunch of books and pamphlets and on the bottom it says something about equal oppurtunity)</p>

<p>I wouldn’t say the best bet place for African Americans are HBCU’s. Howard’s graduation rate along with many other HBCU’s iare definetly lower than a school like Harvard, Columbia, Michigan, Georgetown, UNC, and UVA. I’m not sure what the thread starter is asking for.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Because I can definitely relate to other people because we share the same skin color? I’ve spent a lot of time at Howard (and other HBCUs) and they are not “one size fits all (black students.”</p>

<p>My son is African American. He was adopted from foster care (birth parents both died of AIDS). His average is mid-80s (unweighted, some Honors and AP) and he didn’t do well on SATs (510, 530 and 440, but tutoring and taking them again). He is convinced that he won’t be able to get into a good school (wants to study communications/broadcasting). I think he’s protecting himself from possible rejection (he’s had so much of it in early life), so he’s saying he should “just go to community college.” He plays stand-up bass in orchestra, Varsity baseball, has some community service, and he’s bright, handsome and likeable. I think he should “shoot for the stars” and if admissions people know how far he’s come (I’m his 3rd mother, he’d be the first of 9 siblings to go to college, etc.) maybe he could get into the school he wants–which is Ithaca College or Syracuse University. Any advice? Am I believing in him TOO much because he’s my son, or is he shutting down because he’s scared. How much of a difference does a person’s “narrative” (essay) count in this regard?</p>

<p>Ithaca College is a fine choice because it’s a really supportive environment for racial minorities. About two years ago there were incidents of racial intimidation and insults towards minorities. Consequently, many many members of the Ithaca College community came together as a diverse group to condemn the culprit (I don’t remember whether or not he was ever positively identified; according to news reports, he verbally confronted in an elevator a black woman whom he had never met before, insulted and yelled at her and then fled).</p>

<p>The African-American [and VERY afro-centric] daughter of a friend traveled from the west coast to attend Ithaca and loved every day of it, graduating in 2006.</p>

<p>Schools that Black Students Should Take a Look At</p>

<p>Columbia University
Beloit College
Carleton College
Macalester College
Loyola University of Chicago
Wesleyan College, GA [women]
Occidental College
Kansas University
Iowa State University
Texas Christian University
Rice University
Temple University
Northwestern University
Williams College
Ithaca College
Cornell University
Saint Louis University
Washington University in Saint Louis
U of Missouri-Columbia
Michigan State University
U of Alabama-Birmingham
Wofford College
Belmont Abbey College
U of Rochester</p>

<p>HBCUs</p>

<p>North Carolina A&T University
North Carolina Central University
Spelman College [women]
Hampton University</p>

<p>im not trying to discredit you or anything, im sure you know what your talking about. But where did you get that list from?</p>

<p>Check this article out:</p>

<p>[Black</a> Student College Graduation Rates Inch Higher But the Large Racial Gap Persists](<a href=“http://www.jbhe.com/preview/winter07preview.html]Black”>http://www.jbhe.com/preview/winter07preview.html)</p>

<p>I’m not sure if that’s the kind of information you are looking for. It basically shows the graduation rates for blacks in top universities.</p>

<p>If you are looking for black acceptance rates from highest to lowest in the undergraduate admissions process, check this page out:</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.jbhe.com/features/57_freshmen.html[/url]”>http://www.jbhe.com/features/57_freshmen.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>These articles should answer your question about best bet schools for African Americans.</p>

<p>i’ve seen that chart before, but for schools like duke it’s missing some key data that i’d like to know. either way, at almost any non-uc school it will help.</p>

<p>Any school that is near a metropolitan with a large black population (i.e., Chicago, NYC, Detroit, Atlanta, DC, etc.)</p>

<p>When I was in high school years ago, this was one of my considerations. I wanted access to some good hair salons!</p>