BFA at Molloy College/CAP 21

Thanks for the encouraging words, Eastchester. It’s good to hear that it’s a fun group and that they get along well. And the door here is always open. Your past posts have been quite helpful.

Hello to the group!

I stumbled onto this site and to let you know my daughter will be attending the Molloy/Cap21 in the fall. We’re from San Francisco and she’ll be graduating high school this Tuesday. She went last summer to CAP21 college prep program and loved it. Anyway, we got a letter about the freshman orientation this coming June 29th – June 30th. Can anyone tell me what the experience was like and what to expect?

Thanks in advance.

How many kids do they take in this program? We are interested in it and I know it’s new. Just got some info in mail today. Did you find they are extremely selective? Audition wise as well as academically? Not trying to imply it’s easy or hard to get in but some schools as we know you have to already be a triple threat right out of high school!

Keep in mind that while the BFA program in conjunction with Molloy is new, that the CAP21 MT training conservatory is not new. You may know that already but just in case, I’m pointing it out. My daughter was in CAP21 studio when it was the MT studio for NYU/Tisch.

@easystrider – last year’s format was that your child is assigned one of those two days; half the freshman class attends each day (not just the BFAs – the entire freshman class). The purpose is to meet your peers and to register for classes. It’s a total feel-good experience; they have upperclassmen there to literally lead the cheers and get your child pumped up. I will tell you that Molloy College still doesn’t quite realize that it is no longer a commuter school. We BFA parents need to remind them every so often, and we do! This may be one of those times…it may be very difficult for you to fly in from SF for this. If that’s the case, call up Admissions and tell them you need to register online or via the phone. Quite a few did that last year. Of the entire cohort, I think only 2 or 3 live locally.

@theaterwork - your child does have to be admitted academically as well as artistically. There is an acting and singing audition, but no dance call…during orientation week, the kids will go to CAP 21 and dance for placement in dance classes. The parents were told during parents’ orientation that CAP 21 wants to train the kids in their own method (and boy, did they…my D has legs of iron now!) The Class of 2018’s cohort was 24. I have heard that the Class of 2019 will have two cohorts, because more than 24 accepted an admissions offer. Call Ricky Oliver at CAP 21; he is friendly and a fountain of information about the program. As soozievt correctly points out, this MT program is not new; only the partnership with Molloy College is. The campus is so adorable and the facilities so outstanding (my D knew she was “home” the minute she saw that theater) that this is one of the hottest programs out there right now.

Thanks @EastchesterMom . Ues, we will def be checking this program out. D wants SO much to be in the city and the Molloy thing satisfies my desire for her to be there for academics and housing. It sounds like a great program. My D’s friend went to the CAP 21 summer program for upcoming seniors. Did your child do this summer program as well? or did yours @soozievt ? It seems rather expensive & I dont like that there is no housing. Her friend stayed somewhere in some housing boarding house or something but it sounded a bit unsecure…

@theaterwork…no my daughter did not do the summer program at CAP21 or any pre-college programs. However, she had many classmates who did it and enjoyed it. My daughter went away 8 summers to a theater camp called Stagedoor Manor.

@theaterwork – no, my D didn’t do the summer program at CAP 21.

@easystrider – I take it all back! I got home tonight and told my D about your post. She tells me that Molloy has changed it up. She says this is something your D really needs to do.

Son will be starting in fall, flying in from Indianapolis for orientation. Thanks EastchesterMom,
This thread helped him choose Molloy over his other programs. Does anyone know about accommodations for the orientation? Are the dorm rooms available?

@indyrebel – thanks, you made my day…I wanted this thread to help others see how great this program is! Since this orientation program seems to be very different from what we had, it would be best to call Admissions to see if the dorms will be open.

@indyrebel and anyone else traveling in for orientation…there is a Hamptons Inn and. Best Western in Rockville Centre. If you don’t want to rent a car, All Island Transportation will pick you up at LGA…$34. www.allislandtransportation.com., I think.

@indyrebel - Yes, dorm rooms are available for orientation for the incoming freshmen. Got my letter last night so details and contact info are on the letter.

Thanks @EastchesterMom. Got their postcard stating that it is mandatory but do they do offer a September 8 makeup orientation. It feels like we would be missing out on a lot if we do the makeup and missing the full two day orientation especially being a Cap21 student. Looking into flying in…

@easystrider and @indyrebel - enjoy it! Your kids are in the right place,

My husband and daughter are also flying out for this. And we also have you to thank, Eastchester, for all the good information!

Anything I can do to help. The Molloy/CAP 21 partnership is still new … we’re all in this together to make it work for our kids.

Yikes, we lost the details about BFA orientation. It was sent by snail mail. Can somebody send me the dates and the contact?

@LovettMom - just call Admissions… It may also be on the Molloy website.