BFA at Molloy College/CAP 21

I’m not sure exactly what day we got it, but I just checked and our student’s confirmation letter is dated February 27th.

Tuition & fees right now are roughly $16,000 +$3000 CAP fee = $19k per sem, $38k per year. My D is a Junior and fees have gone up slightly each year. Scholarships are primarily given based on GPA and test scores so if you expect her to get $10-20K, you would be in the range. Not sure if you are including room & board in your numbers. Those can vary greatly from school to school so you should be looking at that also. My D moved off campus her sophomore year, which I think makes dealing with the food issues much more manageable, however, many prefer to stay on campus sophomore year and not move off until junior year.

@waitingforlife, Oh my, yes we are including room and board in our budget. Molloy might not be in our price range even if she gets in! Ugh. As if getting accepted wasn’t hard enough. At least she has Rockford to fall back on even if she can’t make anything else work out financially. Everything about this process is so tough!!

I think that three kids got full tuition academic scholarships last year - they of course had stellar grades. But if some are getting full tuition, then if her grades are good I think you can count on at least something helpful.

@tatteredandfriendly I really hope so!

@NeensMom I hope so for your family!

oy vey! that LIU instagram account! That’s seriously rough.

@NeensMom - hang in there! We hope to welcome you “officially” to the Molloy/CAP21 family!

Re dining options: there are 2 restaurants within easy walking distance of campus…Radigan’s and Curbside Mexican Grille. Radigan’s takes Lion Bucks; not sure about Curbside.

RE: Meal plans. I see lion bucks transfer from fall to spring but not spring to fall. Which plan do you recommend. I’m almost thinking we choose the lowest and just refill it if need be.

@NeensMom - I believe there is a special meal plan for the Cappies.

@NeensMom I’m pretty sure my S had the silver or bronze plan freshman year. He’s on the “Ruby” plan this year and ran out of money a couple of weeks before coming home for semester break - which we thought was perfect. I’d rather pay at the end of the semester than lose money. Another restaurant that takes the meal plan is Bare Burger. They just started taking the meal plan this year - and the kids love that restaurant. It has options for any eating issue possible - vegetarian, gluten free, etc. It’s not super convenient as it’s a couple of blocks from the train station in Rockville Center so the kids have to take a shuttle in and/or time the shuttle when coming back from CAP. For breakfast and lunch on CAP days, most of the kids eat in the restaurant in the CAP building which they seem to like. At the risk of outing my kid, I will say that it is possible to have some contraband cooking utensils if you’re discrete and you have the fridge space for what you want to eat. He has a single this year so that has helped a lot as you can only have one fridge per room - and it’s not that big. Pretty easy to make grilled sandwiches by wrapping the sandwich in tinfoil and using your iron on it. You’d be amazed what they can figure out how to do if they don’t want to eat in the dining room.

@speezagmom - you made me laugh with the iron to make grilled cheese sandwiches!!! I remember how D’s fridge was stuffed - and I mean stuffed - with microwavable food from Trader Joe’s. When you opened the fridge door, stuff came spilling out. Freshman year, she and her pals persuaded the shuttle driver to drive them all over the place on weekends - even to the Roosevelt Field Mall! These kids really do know how to get around things. Sophomore year, they had a suite…and plenty of contraband cooking utensils, lol!

@NeensMom - regarding tuition and room/board - Molloy does give generous merit scholarships if your child has strong academics - my D received 2 scholarships from Molloy, and then I called and spoke with someone in financial aid and was able to negotiate an additional grant as well to assist in cost of tuition. So, if your child gets an acceptance, wait to see what the financial package is and then don’t hesitate to call financial aid to see what they can do for you if Molloy becomes her top choice. :slight_smile:

@JavaJo that is great to know. Did your daughter receive an academic and an artistic scholarship?

@NeensMom - no, just 2 academic scholarships. :slight_smile:

@JavaJo Nice!! If we get an acceptance on Monday, I might private message you about how to negotiate additional financial aid. Thanks!

we also went with the Ruby meal plan (I think only available to Cap kids) and it ran out a week or so before the end of the semester, which we also thought was perfect.

Love the iron idea <3

S just got his email from Molloy…waitlist. Does anyone know how many they put on the waitlist and should he go visit “just in case”? Will be in town for another MT visit at end of March anyway.

@MTDad2024 - I don’t know how many are on the waitlist. But I do strongly believe that showing extra interest by visiting does make a difference.

@MTDad2024 ABSOLUTELY communicate interest with Molloy! Ten days ago we visited, going against everything my daughter had planned, which was not visiting until accepted. We were in NY anyway, figured we might as well check it out, possibly avoid another trip later. Toured, spoke with faculty and were told “it’s a great thing that you came”. So definitely stay in communication. We were told that it is important to them to have kids that really want to be there, at Molloy/CAP!