Big difference between journalism and communications?

I really enjoy writing and want to go into a career of advertising. So right now I’m interested in the university or Oregon, cal poly, and San Diego state. However, I am absolutely in love with Santa Barbara and feel at home there. At SB I would do communications. Is there a huge difference as far as how it would effect my career after college?

Hey @gianam, I’m a journalism junior at the University of Florida looking to go into the field of communications.

When thinking about your major, I would definitely encourage you to think of the classes that the university will offer you, because your experience will come from classes, internships and organizations you’re involved with. What you do in those areas will affect how future employers will measure your experience and understanding of your field.

So while I may be majoring in journalism and taking classes like reporting (which I don’t want to go into), I’m still spending time doing communications internships and applying my skills such as being PR chair of a club where I’ve crafted their branding on campus. It’s important to think of the industry first before considering a specific career when choosing your major.

Based on panels I’ve been to, and the things I’ve learned from friends who have graduated with journalism or PR, it really has to do with what you accomplished and learned when at your university. Sometimes it will help to be apart of a university with a strong alumni appreciation, because that can help you connect with people who once went to your school and will want to assist you in finding success. But as for just choosing a major, don’t think that choosing journalism over communications will make you any less competitive to go into the advertising industry. I’m personally interested in advertising and I think it’s what I’ve done outside of my classes that will be the main selling point/education value to make me a candidate for that occupation.

I hope this helps, best of luck choosing! Those seem like wonderful options.