Big vs Small School

<p>This is killing me right now. I can't decide if I want a big school. I've visited some small schools and their talk of "personal attention, small classes....etc." has attracted me. But I also love Madison and the opportunities that a school like that can offer.</p>

<p>Any suggestions/comments? Is it easy to make Madison feel like a tight-knight community? Is size overwhelming? I go to a high school of 1600 so it would be a big change for me. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!</p>

<p>i personally think that a small school may baby you too much while a big state school may be overwhelming with the huge classes and professors not knowing or carring if you show up to class. big schools will also try to weed out weaker kids from highly saught after programs. if you are mature and ready for college a big school may be for you. the fact that you are more independant will, IMO, prepare you better for the real world than pampering. if you need more time to develope go to a smaller LAC where they can give you the attention you need. a highschool of 1600 going to a college with more than 30,000 students will be different. so will going to a college with 1000 students. </p>

<p>my mom tells me to apply to big schools because she feels like there is always somewhere for me to fit in at a big school, whereas, at a very small school, if i am not in the "in crowd" there may not be many potential friends and i may get very lonely</p>

<p>Visit both and a middle sized college. Kick the tires and look around, what floats your boat?</p>

<p>There is no right answer to your question, only your answer. </p>

<p>Ventakers post seems to put down the smalls and those who go there as lacking maturity or needing to be babied. One way of justifying a choice is to put down the other options, when in reality the other options are just fine. </p>

<p>Where ever you decide to go, the only person holding you back from having a good time and great experience will be you. You are about to have an excellent adventure where ever you decide to be.</p>

<p>Much of the feel will depend on your major and how soon you realy get into it. Business majors tend to focus on the business school and that has only 1300 ug students so you get to know them. Most classes are in one building that has its own library and lounge so no need to leave. Many of the larger schools and depts are this way. Each has its own building or complex and library, etc so it is very much like a smaller college within the U.</p>

<p>Yea, thats kind of the way that I look at it, it is like a smaller college within a big one. And of course Opie I understand that this is my own personal choice, but I'm just looking for some experiences and ideas of people coming from both types of schools. Thanks!</p>

<p>The big school vs. small school dilemma was a big one I struggled with when making my college choice. Ultimately, I was choosing between Bucknell (Lewisburg, PA) and UW Madison. My final choice was based upon college visits (and not just the guided tours). Bucknell even had a stay over program, which shed a lot of light on the college and I highly suggest doing an overnight if the school's you're applying to provide them. I decided that Bucknell, although an excellent school, wasn't so excellent for my major...besides, although it was small and personal, I felt that there was a great chance I would get bored. I mean the town had one street and it seemed as though all the activities were campus run...in other words, high school clubs. Madison, although it seemed a little overwhelming, I knew would provide endless social/personal opportunities and academic opportunities. BUT...one of my best friends decided to go to Bucknell and he absolutely loves it!!! Small schools are move heavily directed and leave less of a chance to stray behiend. So, the way I see it is...what kind of student are you? Are you the kind that has mom and dad look over your papers and remind you about events (and really, this isn't a bad thing) and loves bringing their papers to their teachers early or do you take it upon yourself to challenge yourself. Both kinds of schools are excellent choices--also keep in mind your intended major and what you plan to do after the four years are up, monetary concerns, etc. Sorry for the long post, I just feel since I directly dealt with this choice, I could shed some light on the situation.</p>

<p>Thank you, yea I'm currently looking at Bucknell also and I do feel that Madison does have much more to offer in terms of people, culture, environment, etc.</p>