Binge watched tv shows

I’m almost done with season 3 of Broadchurch. I love this show!

Why is Looming Tower interesting? I get that there is a documentary interest but otherwise…?

The new show with Alan Cumming, Instinct, had Alan Cumming playing The Character Alan Cumming Plays, except this time he gets to be an out gay man married to someone at least 30 years his junior (maybe 25, but well over the creepy line). He twinkles, he wrys, he quips, he get serious, he sometimes makes a face that shows inner pain. It’s just about exactly as fun to watch him – lots of fun – as it was in every other show he’s been in. He’s paired with an engaging, attractive young woman who apparently has become the go-to homicide detective in New York City at age 28, and who never has to talk to anyone over 30 other than Cumming. She has trouble getting along with male partners because they all want to sleep with her, and because they don’t measure up to her last partner, with whom she was sleeping, but who died under circumstances that won’t be revealed for several weeks (if the show lasts that long). She’s fun to watch, too.

So a number of the key elements are great. But apparently there was nothing in the budget for writers. The script was awful. And anyone who couldn’t solve the mystery of the week before the second commercial break wasn’t paying attention.

It won’t be hard to miss this for Call The Midwife.

What a shame that the writing for Instinct is so awful. The cast is engaging, but I doubt that this one is going to last very long. It would be nice if, for once, they allowed the actors to use their true accents.

p.s. There is a 20 year age difference between Alan and Daniel.

Babylon Berlin, folks! Check out Babylon Berlin! (Netflix)

Great production values, terrific acting, great subtle writing – it’s one of the best series out there! (2 seasons, 18 episodes, I believe, the story concludes at the end of the second season.)

@katiamom it is next on my list. Need to finish Collateral, Alienist, and Looming Tower. Looks like a great series.

That’s right. Funny, I think Cumming plays 5-10 years older than his real age (53), and I think of Daniel Ings as a late-20s person because of Lovesick. (He’s fabulous in that, and had essentially nothing to do in the pilot of Instinct, but I’m sure they didn’t hire him merely to stand there and look cute all season.) And speaking of misreading age – the actress who plays the lead female character’s boss/bestie, whom I thought was also playing a 20-something, is actually 45. She has a babyface, and looks much younger than she is.

Babylon Berlin is on my list, too.

LOVED Broadchurch. I saw a pic of Daniel Tenant (DI) and he looked totally different = healthy!

Thanks to whoever it was that recommended “Trapped” (Amazon Prime). I binge-watched the whole season in 3 days. I never thought I’d like foreign shows with subtitles, but after “Rita” and “Trapped”, I found out I was wrong. Both shows were terrific!

And now, 5 days later, I just finished all 16 episodes of Babylon Berlin. Thanks to @katliamom for recommending it. It was so good! Really well made but confusing at times (the recap of the finale on vulture.com helped a lot). :wink:

That’s Sharon Leal, a very experienced and extremely talented theatre actor. Beautiful voice!

Have DVRd tonight’s episode to watch later. Am hoping that the writing has improved for this week!

Anyone watch the Bravo series To Rome for Love? The Rome backdrop is wonderful, makes me want to go back again. Think Millionaire Matchmaker but in Rome…no millionaires but all the ladies are black from America set up with Italian men. The premise is that Italian men appreciate black American women moreso than American men.

Wild,Wild country- whew! Thanks for mentioning this one. Shocking, especially if you don’t know the story. Just watch it without knowing what happens next. Wow

Darling show I just found on Netflix yesterday…Drop Dead Diva. Fun show!

I accidentally found The Indian Doctor, on Hulu. Have only watched a bit, but it’s charming. During an NHS doctor shortage, an Indian doc and his wife take a job opp, thinking they’ll get placed in London. But it’s a coal mining town in Wales. Mali Harries, who co-starred in HInterland, has a supporting role.

I have an honest question: What do people like about Big Little Lies?

My wife and I have watched five episodes, and we have no particular interest in seeing more. It’s kind of fun to see so many good actresses in the same show – and they are good – but the characters they play are so uniformly loathsome, the pace is so slow, the plot so unbelievable, and the worshipful attitude towards conspicuous consumption so in-your-face that it’s just not enough fun to watch. It was being presented as feminist, but there’s hardly anything feminist about it, other than having a bunch of female lead characters. It resembles Peyton Place more than anything else, with a little Falcon Crest and some Real Housewives.

Season 2 of Dr. Foster now on Netflix. Wow! Good set up for season 3
Another one I just found and binged is Fallet. One season, wraps up the story by the end. Hoping for season 2. Takes place in Sweden. Quirky lead characters and I enjoyed it.

@JHS , maybe because I read the book first. I enjoy seeing it come to life and they did a great job in casting. I don’t know how I would feel watching in cold. I enjoyed it a lot. However, maybe it was due to what I said.

Anyone watch “The last Post” on Amazon? Brilliant. My H remarked the “outpost” was referenced in The Crown .