Binge watched tv shows

I just randomly started Doctor Foster and am about 5 eps in. Enjoying it but wondering where it will go.

The Last Post has been very good so far. I am through 3 episodes. There are so many good cast members. I have enjoyed seeing Jessica Raine in such a very different role than Call the Midwife.

I just started Killing Eve on BBC. Sandra Oh is the lead. She is an American in MI5 and is trailing a female assassin.

I just binged on Netflex…The Killing and Rectify which both were great. Now I started on Bloodline which has 3 seasons.

I LOVE Sandra Oh.

Is Lost in Space any good?
SaidJust finished The Alienist. Hard to get into at first but excellent reproduction of the period. Dark (both thematically and visually!) And sometimes a bit too queasy (did the Isaacsons really have to be filmed in close up when they tested their theory with the dagger into the animal skull ?) But really compelling characters - all outsiders one way or the other… although I thought the main character would be Laszlo and I minded his being a jerk but it turns out it’s an ensemble with Sarah the main character.
Love Sandra Oh will try to find Killing Eve!

Really enjoyed the Alienist. Also took a few episodes to get in to it and enjoyed the ensemble cast. There were definitely some cringe worthy scenes, lol! Sandra Oh is great. I just searched On Demand. Only 1 episode aired so far.

I read a list of upcoming shows and it looks like Luther will be back and a second episode of Trapped (yeah to both).

@nurse101 There was a discussion of Bloodline here back when it first aired. Not sure if it was in this thread or if it had a thread of its own. Some terrific performances in that show.

Can’t remember if I asked this or not but is anyone watching Here and Now? It’s a new Alan Ball series on HBO. A terrific cast - Daniel Zovatto, Tim Robbins, Sosie Bacon, Holly Hunter to name a few. It’s different, typical Alan Ball. If you liked Six Feet Under, you might like this, too. Dysfunctional families, very good acting, a bit of the mystical thrown in.

I walked by the daily filming today of a new Netflix series to come out later this year called The Umbrella Academy. It’s an adaptation of a graphic novel series of the same name, and according to a friend who is working on it, is very much anticipated! The wonderful Canadians Ellen Page and Colm Feore head the cast.

Finally watching Rita and loving it. Surprised my husband loves it too, perhaps I underestimated his tastes for this type of show- or perhaps it helps that Rita is a knock-out and the camera spends a lot of time on her rear.

I would like to make a post with all of the recommended shows in list form including an indication of whether they are on Netflix, Amazon or another channel. Perhaps people could put stars next to the show names to indicate whether they enjoyed them, to give an idea of popularity. Some day…

Wouldn’t we all love to have Rita’s booty!

@alwaysamom – Anything with Colm Feore and Ellen Page is something to look forward to.

We are loving Bloodline. Totally addictive and absolutely bingeworthy.

Speaking of Colm Feore, I have a long overdue recommendation for anyone that likes theater in general or Shakespeare in particular. It’s called “Slings and Arrows.”

It was a Canadian Broadcasting Co. production that ran for three seasons. It has a sort of an art-imitates-life storyline that features a theatre company that produces great (and I mean great) theater. It’s loosely (or not so loosely) based on Ontario’s Stratford Shakespeare Festival Theatre Company and features many of its actors (e.g., Colm Feore, Paul Gross, Martha Burns, Stephen Ouimette, and William Hurt; Mark McKinney, and Susan Coyne, also longtime Stratford actors, co-created and co-wrote it.) The story lines mirror the plays being produced during the three seasons – principally Hamlet, Macbeth, and King Lear (with a bit of Romeo and Juliet in of the seasons, as well as some musical theatre thrown in, too.).

It’s hands down the best TV show I’ve ever seen. You learn a lot about theater-making and delve deeply into Shakespeare’s plays through how the text is approached by the actors and the directors.

It used to be free on Amazon Prime; not sure if it is anymore. We ended up buying the series on DVD and have watched it three times (at least).

The new season 4 of Bosch was just released on Amazon. One of DH favorites.

@LoveTheBard Slings and Arrows is one of our favorites! Being involved in theatre here in Toronto, so many friends were in that series, including the fantastic William Hutt. You have reminded me to get out our DVD set and watch it again. :slight_smile:

+1 for Slings and Arrows, although “best TV show I’ve ever seen” is not quite how I would describe it. (I don’t call myself “LoveTheBard,” either, although I could.) “Very enjoyable, funny TV show, especially if you like theater and have read or seen Shakespeare’s most famous tragedies” is more like it. Not unlike Mozart In The Jungle, but with Canadians, and less hotness generally. But more SAT words.

@alwaysamom - He (William Hutt) passed away shortly after that show ended, didn’t he? He was tremendous as Lear… - I would have given anything to see a full production of that, and of Paul Gross’s Hamlet at Stratford (I saw an interview in which he talked about having done it on the thrust stage.) I did see a screening of Colm Feore’s Lear a couple of years ago (Stephen Ouimette was the Fool) and it broke my heart.

@JHS - Less hotness? Have you seen Paul Gross?!? Less steamy, perhaps, but I’d take Paul Gross over Gael García Bernal any day of the week!! I have to say, I loved the first season of Mozart, but they l thought it got pretty stupid in Venice (and I LOVE Venice!)

Perhaps “best TV show I’ve ever seen” is a bit hyperbolic…then again, I given my screen name, I’m entitled to a bit of hyperbole. Perhaps it would more truthful to say that Slings and Arrows is up there in the top five, along with West Wing and MAS*H. It was, however, the first show I’ve ever truly been forced to binge-watch (as in, having to continue onto the next episode despite it being so late at night because I couldn’t wait another night to see it).

Another best TV show is Friday Night Lights, which I think has been mentioned a few times upthread. Great even if you’re not a football fan!
I also have very fond memories of Hill Street Blues and LA Law, precedent setting shows written and produced by Steven Bochco, who recently passed. They may be a bit dated by now but set the stage for many more current cop and lawyer shows.
Let me take a moment to thank everyone for the info on this thread! It’s caused me to watch several great series, not the least of which is Broadchurch!

Paul Gross is super-nice-looking, and it’s fine with me if you prefer him to Gael Garcia Bernal. (I think you are probably in the minority on that.) But where are the S&A equivalents of Lola Kirke and Saffron Burrows? Or Bernadette Peters and Malcolm McDowell? Or guests like Dermott Mulroney, Gretchen Mol, Monica Belluci, Peter Vack, Nora Arnezeder . . . Lots of, um, charisma there.

@LoveTheBard Yes, William passed away in the summer of 2007. I remember that because for several years he mentored my daughter, who is an actor and playwright, and that was the year that she graduated from Tisch. He had a long and wonderful life, and his acting was beyond compare.

@alwaysamom - You have one lucky daughter to have had WH as a mentor!

Did your daughter end up staying in NYC? (It’s my hometown; I always try to get theatre my theatre fixes in when I visit). If she’s there and hasn’t seen it yet, The Winter’s Tale at TFANA is well worth seeing (from what I’ve read, RSC’s Lear not so much).

Stratford (both upon-Avon and Ontario) have been on my bucket list for a while.

@JHS - Re: Gross vs. Bernal - As a girlfriend of mine often remarks, “That’s why they make ice cream in chocolate and vanilla!” (Not to mention the 40-some-odd Ben and Jerry’s flavors at any given moment in time!)