Binge watched tv shows

Thanks to whoever recommended “Rita” upthread. I really loved it! All of the characters were wonderful (especially Rita and Hjordis)–I wish it hadn’t ended.

I am liking the new female Doctor, and thinking I may binge on some of the recent years of Doctor Who. I watched a lot of the Tom Baker era when I was a kid, and I’ve watched the first couple seasons of the revived series with my kids. It’s a big binge undertaking. I may start with the 12th Doctor, then the 11th and so on.

We are also loving the new woman Doctor Who so far. Last night we watched the 2nd and 3rd episodes and loved them both. For anyone who hasn’t watched the series I suggest you start with David Tennant then watch Matt Smith. Many people who were not really into Doctor Who before got into it with Matt Smith and the Amy Pond “Crack in the Wall” story line.

We also rewatched D’s favorite David Tennant episode the other night. It’s called “Blink” and Carrie Mulligan is in it.

@MYOS1634 God Friended Me came on after 60 Minutes and I got sucked in even though I never planned to watch it. The name alone has met plenty of ridicule. It’s a bit predictable, but kind of sweet.

An older comedy (searched and didn’t see any mention) I’m enjoying is Alpha House. 21 episodes (less than 1/2 hour each) from 2013-14. Stars John Goodman as one of four senators sharing a house in Washington. Created by Garry Trudeau so basically political satire.

I find the varied cast quite appealing. Not laugh out loud comedy, but a nice, rather light change from the dark cop/mystery shows that we usually watch.

Hubby and I really like God Friended Me. Other new shows we enjoy is A Million Little Things and New Amsterdam

Enjoying New Amsterdam. Like it better than This is Us.
Also finding Wanderling on Netflix angsty and entertaining. Very adult subject.

I, too, got sucked into God Friended Me last Sunday. (I was so depressed about the Eagles, I had trouble doing things like changing the channel.) It was sweet. It reminded me a lot of a PBS show I used to watch with my kids when they were little: Ghostwriter. Anyone else remember that? For a couple of years, it was close to 100% of the TV we let our kids watch on a regular basis.

@oregon101 Did you mean highly sexual? Now that I am joining senior rank, very adult just means getting old.

I tried A Million Little Things. I made it through an episode and a half and had to turn it off. So very cheesy. Another new one I tried was Dick Wolf’s FBI. It was awful. Such poor writing and Jeremy Sisto is wasted with that cast of bad actors.

New Amsterdam is okay so far. I’ll likely keep watching.

I’ve recorded God Friended Me but haven’t watched yet. @JHS I know what you mean about the Eagles. What a debacle that was. I think I could hear my mom yelling at the tv and she’s 150 miles from me!

Wandering addresses the issue of a long married professional couple exploring other sexual options.
The intention is to stay together and to be open about their activities. The characters are well developed.
No graphic sex. Woman is a psychotherapist and both her sessions and her own personal sessions are
realistic and well done which is unusual. Only one season so far. It is kind of filler for me when I don’t have much
to watch.

The wife and I recently watched both seasons of Happy Valley, which is really well done. The acting is uniformly excellent, with a few of the actors from Downton Abby making appearances. Sarah Lancashire in particular is absolutely riveting in the lead role. Be forewarned though, it’s not for the feint of heart, especially the first season.

I am enjoying New Amsterdam, but passed on A Million Little Things after watching the first episode and same with God Friended Me. God Friended Me was kind of cute, but I have too many other options on Sunday evenings, largely from PBS. I do love Madam Secretary and have found it to be even better than usual this season. Since the NFL games push the CBS schedule back on Sundays most times, I save it for Monday nights off the DVR.

Watching The Vikings…

On season 2 of “Hinterland”, set in Wales (Netflix). What it lacks in script and acting talent it makes up for in spectacular scenery and ‘local color’. The story lines are satisfactory enough, a bit predictable in some episodes. It’s really made me want to visit Wales some day, despite the astronomically high murder rate.

@TheBigChef I’ve told many people about the trio of British/Irish shows on Netflix. I watched The Fall, then Happy Valley and Broadchurch. The first two can be very violent but recommend all three, very good actors.

@momsquad, since you’re watching Hinterland, have you watched Shetland? Very similar to Hinterland (scenery, etc) but occasionally has a light moment. The middle-aged brooding detective Jimmy Perez has a millennial sidekick named Tosh (short for MacIntosh); she occasionally lightens the tone. Moments between Perez and his teenager daughter also injects some lightness. Wife and I liked Hinterland but found it to be very bleak and intense.

The Bodyguard! New on Netflix from the BBC. In Britain it is the show that eclipsed Downton Abbey in the ratings. Nothing like Downton Abby though. . Lol. More along the lines of Homeland with the dreamy Richard Madden (Game of Thrones) in the title role. Based on his work here, he’s rumored to be the next James Bond.

Really compelling. Only six episodes.

^ Thanks for the rec of Bodyguard. I saw that and wondered if it was worth trying.

We are watching Dear White People. It is really well written and acted. Plenty of food for thought and topics for further discussion. Highly recommend.

@MADad, yes we enjoyed Shetland and may consider watching it again. At this point we’ve seen so many of these noir crime dramas that we can’t remember details of plots from several years ago. The Hinterland cast seems to be drawn heavily from the local Welsh population, which gives it a refreshing authenticity. I have trouble staying awake though, convoluted plots and hard to remember names- and no humor or happy endings.