Binge watched tv shows

I just discovered Queen America on Facebook last night. Catherine Zeta Jones is so good in it!

Surprisingly Good Girls is quite entertaining!

ā€œDead to Meā€ on Netflix. I was ready to bail after 15 mins in (when they were comparing themselves to ā€œFacts of Lifeā€ characters), but my wife convinced me to stay with it. Despite that contrived scene, Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini legitimately have great chemistry and the story did take an interesting turn after that. About 1/2 way through, definitely a binge watch as the end of each episode leaves you wanting more.

I am enjoying ā€œGentleman Jackā€ on HBO. only 2 episodes so far, but very entertaining.

Iā€™m watching Dead to Me now, too. Oh boy! I didnā€™t know what it was about and itā€™s already surprised me several times in three episodes.

Thanks to those who recommended Shtisel. I enjoyed watching it. I thought the production quality and acting was very good. The main character, Akiva, is charming. While watching, I found myself pausing many times to go google questions/info about ultra orthodox Jews, so I learned a lot in the process of watching.

Iā€™m in the 3rd season of Srugim now. Itā€™s okay. Not the quality of Shtisel, IMO. More hokey, more of a lower budget feel. I think a big part of the reason why I donā€™t like it as much is that I find one of the main characters very distasteful and irritating.

I couldnā€™t find Dead to Me on Netflix this weekend!

I ultimately enjoyed the second season of The OA. Some reservations because I hate hate hate any plot device that essentially involves a real-life video game. And thatā€™s a big part of this season of the show. I also missed the strange, beautiful, choreographed ā€œmovementsā€ that dominated the first season, although they did get some screen time. I thought the twist to set up Season 3 was excellent, although I donā€™t harbor much hope that a coherent theory of multi-dimensionality will emerge.

Killing Eve is interesting, I wouldnā€™t say great. (I do think the Jodie Comer role is an acting tour de force. The many shifts in her ā€œtypeā€ must have been exhausting.) I could watch Season 1 on Hulu, then had to switch to BBCAmerica (on Sling) to get Season 2. Like the current Shetland, not all episodes are ready to watch.

I seem to be suffering for a list of what will intrigue me next.

Another ā€œDead to Meā€ recommendation. A dark comedy/mystery worth watching. Lots of eye candy - pretty actors, great scenery and sets. Itā€™s all very well done: great pacing/direction/acting.

^^ Agree. And that ending!

I just finished Dead to Me and really liked it, too.

Now Iā€™m watching the new season of Animal Kingdom. Still interesting so far.

Thanks for the recommendation of Dead to Me. I watched the first episode today and really liked it!

@Mom2jl We started Tues and finished episode 3 an hour ago! Dead to Me is very good, we watched for the cast but the story grabs you too. Separately (my husband wouldnā€™t like it) Iā€™m watching The White Queen from 2013. Enjoy the history and itā€™s been a long wait for Season 3 Of The Crown ?

Agreeing with others who loved Unforgotten. Iā€™ve only finished series 1. Wow. Wish I could talk about it here. Probably my favorite of all the noirs Iā€™ve watched.

1 Like

The characters are so well-drawn itā€™s hard to detach from them. The stories ring very true and I love that the cops are competent, they know their job, and theyā€™re not gun slinging heroes.

Well drawn, but no need to spill all the beans for us. Missing that artifice. Thatā€™s a confidence in us, engages us. Think of all we donā€™t know about Cassie and Sunny.

[QUOTE]
The stories ring very true and I love that the cops are competent, they know their job, and theyā€™re not gun slinging heroes. /

[QUOTE]

I think this is one of the reasons Iā€™ve recently switched to watching British and Australian TV; while many of the shows are still relatively violent, there are fewer guns, sometimes, but seemingly much more ā€˜fleshingā€™ of story lines and characters. Just my opinion :slight_smile:

We know enough about Cassie and Sunny, and we can fill in some stuff (no improbably mysterious&tragic past that will be a plot twist at some point, no magic power/uncanny ability real or fake <= not a spoiler: this isnā€™t Psych nor Greyā€™s anatomy or Mentalist, Blue Bloods, SVU, the rookie, etc) Theyā€™re very ā€˜realā€™.

I also like that we know who the suspects are, right off the bat, even if we donā€™t know how the police will figure out there involved (that too is part of the plot) and we can conduct our own inquiry. (Thereā€™s no nasty ā€˜twistā€™ at the end where an until-then-unheard-of person <surprise!> ends up being guilty.)</surprise!>

I just finished ā€˜Undercoverā€™ A British drama. Maya, a British barrister is conducting a long-term legal fight to prove the innocence of US death row inmate Rudy Jones. Her husbandā€™s past, and the circumstances under which they first met twenty years earlier comes back to haunt him and threatens to destroy their marriage. Gripping!!!