Binge watched tv shows

I’m not someone who binge watches shows but D2 and I just finished Dead To Me last night which we watched over the last couple of weeks - 10 episodes, each less than 30 minutes.

Have to say, I’m not a suspense watcher but really enjoyed this. It’s described as a dark comedy. Reminded me a bit of the most suspenseful moments of Desperate Housewives without all the focus on the Wisteria women. I think Dead To Me is a good one for both men and women to enjoy.

Thank you all for recommending “Unforgotten” - LOVE it! So, so good.

1 Like

I paid the $9.99 for season 3 of Unforgotten, not yet on Prime. Just as good as 1 & 2.

1 Like

Unforgotten 3= Opposite to season 2 wrt suspects though - just as gripping and empathetic.

Still stuck on Shetland, the island where’s it’s perpetually either March or November. I didn’t watch in order (started with 5.1… and went back to 4 then 1-2 and now 3. )
Season 1 sheds light on why in season 5 everyone looked at Tosh when she said she wasn’t at the festival.
(Note: ermmm, they could have paid for a few extras to create a crowd and signify “music festival”…)
Also, season3 Jimmy’s game is, how shall I say this, hilariously unusual (“do you paint your nails after you bite them?”)
Seeing Archie Panjabi was a nice surprise- if she turns out to be the culprit I’ll be disappointed.

I think the core formula of multiple storylines, leading us to multiple poss suspects had to be reworked for S3 just a bit. The series is a masterpiece of script writing. And I have a little bit of a girl crush on Nicola Walker.

Shetland 5 is similarly layered. A lot of shows have multiple characters with storylines, but these two run deeper. Chris Lang (writer, Unforgotten,) is either freaking brilliant or has a super team.

Wiki has a nice blurb on him, including some of the accolates Unforgotten got.

And, @MYOS1634 “On 20 September 2018 it was announced that Unforgotten would be returning for a 4th season”
Yay!

??? thank you!!! What excellent news!!!

I agree on the writing in both shows.

Indeed.

I’ll look up the wiki blurb, thanks for the reference.

Unforgotten 2 ends “well” yet left me quite sad.
Unforgotten 3 ends “sadly” but was somehow more hopeful.

Thanks to those who mentioned Chernobyl HBO British Tv Series. I wouldn’t have watched given the topic, but the quality of the production, the superb acting, and the shocking details about this horrific disaster make this fascinating, and ( warning )gruesome at times.

Now Chernobyl is a tourist attraction, even more astounding.
https://www.newsweek.com/chernobyl-1414450

Just finished “Unforgotten” - excellent! And am devouring everything I can find about “Chernobyl” . The quality of acting in “Chernobyl” is amazing - each actor is bringing so many nuances to their characters.

Me, too. Just finished Unforgotten 3. It is extraordinary.

It’s been a bit of a two-fer weekend for me. I know this isn’t a thread for movies, but look into Biggest Little Farm. Just opened. You may have to wait for it to come near you.

Between the two, a little redemption of my own.

Thank you all for this thread.

Kim’s Convenience is light and funny. It won a number of awards in Canada for humor.
Again! Light and fun . Some cultural lessons. Just endearing characters. On Netflix.

@katliamom and @crknwk2000 We agree with the raves for Fleabag! I watch more UK shows than DH but we are both laughing. We just finished the second episode of Season 2 and we just started the show Saturday. Every time Phoebe Waller-Bridge looks at the camera we laugh. And I knew nothing about the show other than same writer as Killing Eve, another show that we enjoy, dark, twisty, funny.

So sad we finished the last episode of Srugim today. I think that’s one of the most unique shows I’ve ever watched. The characters are so engaging.

^I have watched Srugim though 3 times! It is a great binge and so much fun to watch the characters mature.

I feel like such a grinch! I didn’t like the few episodes of Srugim I watched. I did like Unforgotten, but I would disagree vehemently on the quality of the writing and plotting. I think it’s actually pretty shoddy around the edges. Nicola Walker’s considerable charisma plasters over a whole bunch of flaws.

Fiished Srigim. Really had to push through though as I found it pretty meh and not the best production quality, certainly not equal to Shtisel, IMO. And that one character is SO unlikable and unpleasant.

Huh, DH and I thought it was one of the best series we’ve ever watched. Obviously not high-budget, but acting and story are excellent. That unpleasant character reminds us VERY much of my former BIL (DH’s sister finally got smart and divorced him).

Gosh, I feel sorry for your SIL. I kept wondering why the other characters hung around him, what his redeeming qualities were.

I did laugh when seeing the series referred to online as “No Sex in the City” :slight_smile:

Have you watched Shtisel yet, @MaineLonghorn?

I have watched both and still like Srugim the most. And “that character” was amazingly true to some personalities. I love the “No sex in the City” comment.

I watched a new series on Netflix last week–The Society. The series was filmed in my area and two friends were hired as extras. It’s a YA drama about a group of high schoolers from an affluent Connecticut suburb who leave on school buses for a retreat, but have to return because of storms. Once the buses drop the kids off, they realize there are no adults and they’re the only people in town–everyone has disappeared (even pets). After some serious partying, the kids realize they’ve got to figure out the best way to move forward. It’s a teenage Lord of the Flies in suburban Connecticut. The ensemble actors (all unknowns) were pretty convincing as they begin tackling serious issues of life and death. I read that Netflix plans to film a second season. I didn’t see my friends, but did recognize places in my town and a couple of neighboring towns in various episodes.

Kelly Ripa raved, raved ,gushed about Fleabag, which I first heard about here. Highly recommend, Phoebe Waller Bridge, writer, actress quite a talent …it took few episodes to get hooked, and season 2 quite satisfying