Binge watched tv shows

@IxnayBob - I felt the same way about Season Three of “Stranger Things”! There were parts I liked (Steve and his new friend Robin, and any time Erica was onscreen) but in general I found it disappointing and juvenile (and not in a good way). The finale was awful - way too long and way too unbelievable, even for a scifi/fantasy show.

What happened there? Why the change in tone? And why did they practically ruin the character of Sheriff Hopper??

@scout59 , I don’t know what happened, and probably never will, because I couldn’t even make it to episode 3.

There are very few shows that handle success well. Maybe they overthink why they succeeded and try to amplify it, instead of just doing what they did in the past.

You lasted longer than me. We gave up halfway through season 2.

I liked the previous seasons of “Black Mirror,” even though I know it’s not most people’s cup of tea. The first episode of the current season, though, was not very good. And there are only three episodes in the entire “season!” I guess I’ll watch the other two episodes at some point.

@alwaysamom Yes! I already know I will be sad when I’m finished with Offspring, I really have grown to love the characters.
@Anxiousmom1 Thanks! I will check those out once I finish bingeing Offspring :smile:

I really like Stranger things season3. Just finished episode 3.
References to Stephen king novels/films (especially the car!), The Blob, Invasion of the body snatchers, stepford wives.
The Cold war with Russians being the enemy (not a partisan thing). Rocky informing teens’ view of what Russians are like (tall, blond, unsmiling).
{Ok, impossible someone who doesn’t know Russian can translate recorded sounds… More unrealistic to me than the Mindflayer looking for multiple hosts rather than just one.}
Kids hunting for Russian spies with binoculars - come on, if you were a kid in the 80s, didn’t you do that? Because obviously spies would be interested in your small town, precisely because nothing ever happens there and thus rhyd be hidden?
The kids growing up at different rates seems very realistic to me.
14-year old boys being oafs.
Nancy playing Nancy Drew, informed by the events of the previous winter.
Steve working at the mall… and the mall being a new shiny thing attracting teens (when nowadays they’re all disappearing).
Erica getting a fuller role. (“That means free ice cream for LIFE” ?)

That kid is hilarious!

^^ Just wait. Sheriff Hopper doesn’t really morph into Screamy McScreamerson until the later episodes…

And yes, Erica is a hoot. Just not enough to save the season (for me).

Well, I vote a big yes on Stranger Things 3. I thought Season 2 was a huge disappointment, but most of what was wrong in Season 2 was fixed in Season 3. It isn’t quite up to the standard of the first season, but what is?

Things to love: Robin (shocker: Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman had a kid who is really attractive and an excellent actor), Erica, Elle and Max finally making friends, the goofiness of the whole Russian plotline (since, frankly, the Mind Flayer is boring, and the less of it the better), Nancy and Jonathan coping with their different reactions to sexual harassment in the workplace, Dustin’s girlfriend, issues of sexual orientation, the grossness of what happens to the victims, not relying on Elle’s superpowers to save humanity. It’s fun, not so full of itself.

Things not to love so much: Stringing out the Hopper/Joyce nonromance past the point where it is fun, Lucas reduced to being a virtual prop, and Will not much better, still too much Mind Flayer, some gratuitous violence, setting up the ending so that any number of central characters could have their roles reduced or eliminated for future seasons.

“Maybe friends don’t lie, but BOYfriends lie ALL the time!”

Thanks to whoever upthread recommended 800 Words - I subscribed to Acorn TV and have a free 7 day trial so I’m now binge watching in hopes I can finish all three seasons in a week. I’m enjoying it so far. I may end up paying for the month so I can also watch the other (Australian) series recommended in same that thread. Huge fan of The Offspring-I watched the whole thing a couple of years ago when I just stumbled upon it one day. I’ve since recommended to several of my girlfriends. While I was so sad when the series ended, I thought the last episode was a very good way to end it.

I thought stranger things 3 was taking the mickey out of itself. A big wink with massive tongue in cheek. I was a bit surprised with how visceral the violence was though. It really didn’t need that, we got the drift. I think it is a kids show really.
It was better that I expected. I expected it to have lost the thing that was engaging about it. I don’t what that IS, but it s probably about generational manipulation. OMG poor Will got the short end of wardrobe. Netflix would be best to end it here.

Meanwhile, the Veronica Mars return, which was released a week early, is very satisfactory. They have done a good job bringing the characters forward 15 years from the original show, and preserving the tone of fun, snappy banter with a serious undercurrent. The most interesting aspect is how the show has turned on its lead. In the original series, Veronica’s caustic wit, cynical attitude, independence, and skill at using her attractiveness to manipulate people made her seem mature and sophisticated compared to her classmates. In the current series, her caustic wit, cynical attitude, independence, and manipulations clearly mark her as emotionally stunted and immature. One way or another, most of her age cohort has grown up; she hasn’t, and that doesn’t make her life any happier.

Watched Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, House of Cards, Crashing, and Amazing Ms. Marple this way. Very enjoyable. No commercials. Watch 2 (or 3) episodes per night either with kids or wife. More like going to the movies than watching TV.

Amazing difference when you watch a few seasons to get caught up and then have to go to the once a week deal for new season. I’d rather wait til it was over and watch them at my own pace.

Well, Trapped 2 is not what the first season was.

And it’s danged tough to keep clear who’s who and the relationships.

I’m not sure how I missed it but there is another season of OITNB that has just been released. It will be the final season. I’ve watched since the beginning, through the the good and the not so good seasons. I’ve only watched episode 1 but it has pulled me back in. I thought we had a discussion of Season 6 but the search function is yet something else that the new format has messed up. If anyone could provide a link, I’d appreciate it.

We loved Doc Martin and just found William and Mary. It’s a fun show and Martin Clunes is so young at the start of the series!

I’ve binged on the first 7 episodes of Blown Away - I’d have watched to the season finale but have to get to bed! Thanks to whomever mentioned it.

We love “Line of Duty,” a British police drama involving a team of anti-corruption officers. Each season focuses on a specific event/threat/investigation but, as the seasons progress, you start to see cross-connections among the seasons. Cast includes the wonderful Keeley Hawes and Adrian Dunbar. Same writing/producing team as did “Bodyguard” which we also loved. Also watching Nordic Noir like Trapped (haven’t started Season 2 yet) and Rebeckah Martinsson.

We love Ramy on Hulu.

S is home and had us start watching Nathan For You on Hulu. It’s a docucomedy and so funny!