Binge watched tv shows

I almost cried at the end of Maisel. I thought it was a step up this year and loved all the clothes.

@abasket Have you and your daughter watched Catastrophe?

^^ Catastrophe is great! Another favorite is the Netflix show, Love.

I did stick with Dirty John but it was aggravating. Not a strong, wise woman.

They certainly set up next season in the final episode of Mrs. Maisel. This should be interesting.

Have not watched Catastrophe! Will look it up @doschicos

Appreciate the suggestions! Just had to chuckle as I realized I was asking CC for recommendations when my brother is actually a media/tv critic for a major media outlet. Duh, well Iā€™ll ask him as well when I see him soon - but my tastes are probably also more mild than him. :wink:

Share his suggestions with us! :slight_smile:

The Dirty John podcast was much better than the Bravo miniseries. She was a very passive woman in the podcast also. It was so hard to believe that she was so successful in her business, but had no clue when it came to John.

Dirty John is based on true story. I also canā€™t believe she was so clueless for someone so successful in her business.

Home for Christmas on Netflix was a great binge watch. Light, sweet. Norwegian with subtitles although they mainly seem to speak English. Just a cute show with an old theme.

Another vote for the new season of Mrs. Maisel. Question: is there a new season of Ozarks???

Any Shameless fans here? Iā€™ve watched every episode of every season (This is Season 10). Iā€™m thinking that the writers are struggling to find stuff for this season and that it might be time to quit. (Never thought Iā€™d say that!!)

I assumed from the TV show that Debra Newell was wealthy from some other means, someone that clueless cannot have made a ton of money being self employed. Maybe there is more to the whole story. She would have had to be able to read and charm people to sell her chotchkies

Yup. I still enjoy it. It makes me feel great about myself and my family :smiley:

The original UK Shamelsss went to 11 seasons. Not sure how far US version has diverged, I havenā€™t watched the UK one.

I looked up my TV critic brotherā€™s 2019 ā€œTop 10ā€ list. (which he always refuses to put in order and which he also says can literally change from day to day and leaves out many shows he loves and/or shows that perhaps he highlighted the year before which are still stellar). But for what itā€™s worth, here are 10 he lists - many are talked about with frequency on this thread!

Better Things
Fleabag
Catastrophe
Pen15
Russion Doll
Succession
Unbelievable
When They See Us
Undone
Watchman

While watching Dirty John when it aired on Bravo, I felt exactly the same way as @Sybylla about Connie Britainā€™s performance ā€¦ until they aired a documentary with the real Debra Newell. Let me just say that Connie Britain portrayed her character perfectly!

From NY times list of best international shows during last decade.
Started watching ā€œchewing gumā€ and surprised that Fleabag, copied so much of that show.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/20/arts/television/best-international-tv-shows.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

Havenā€™t searched to see if these were mentioned before, but a few offbeat shows Iā€™ve watched and enjoyed: ā€œYears & Yearsā€ on HBO/BBC, ā€œBack to Lifeā€ on Showtime, and ā€œUndoneā€ on Amazon Prime. All are very original, one season, and quick binges.

For series fans, it looks like the Call The Midwife Holiday special is on Christmas Day, 8 pm eastern.

@abasket your brothers list inspired me to ask this thread What are your favorite tv shows that are currently available to stream.

I think it will be fun to see the range of peopleā€™s choices. Mine:

The West Wing
Parks and Rec
The Office
Arrow
White Collar
Burn Notice
Stranger Things
Iā€™m Sorry
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Grimm

While you can see that several of these shows have a fantasy/action hero element I really have little interest in fantasy/ action hero stuff. What I like about them is the strong interpersonal relationships that donā€™t need disfunction in the relationships to drive the narrative because the fantasy/action element does that thus sparing me what I find annoying about many dramatic shows. My godson was incredulous when he realized why I liked Grimm so much ā€œWho in the world watches Grimm for the romanceā€???
Um me, and it was FANTASTIC. Same with Arrow #Olicity. lol

So what are your favorites and are there any on the list you watch for a reason that might not be apparent.

Succession
Schittā€™s Creek
Fleabag
Unbelievable
You
When They See Us