Binge watched tv shows

Sex Education is great! Season 2 is released on 1/17.

Has it? I didnā€™t know.

Yes, season 2 January 17th. :slight_smile:

What channel/streaming?

Sex Education is Netflix.

Took a few peopleā€™s suggestion here and binged Netflixā€™s Cheer this weekend. Worth a watch. Good look into a sport/culture totally different from what Iā€™ve experienced. I have tons of respect for the athleticism, dedication and teamwork involved. Compelling hard knock backgrounds for several of the spotlighted students - stories of overcoming some challenging childhoods. The injuries and concussions give me some pause, though, as do some of the cultural elements.

Iā€™ve been watching Cheer too, and enjoying it!

[QUOTE=""]
. The injuries and concussions give me some pause, though, as do some of the cultural elements.>>>>>

[/QUOTE]

That, and the structure of the wholly privatized monopolized cheer industrial complex, would have been enough to have no part of the whole shebang as a parent LOL. I thought the athleticism was inspiring, but the injury aspect so pointless when there isnā€™t any real ($) incentive in the long term. Are there similar competitive cheer teams in highly desirable academic schools? I wasnā€™t sure that the junior college aspect was just part of the storytelling, and similar stuff happens in higher SES environments.

Cheerleading is not an NCAA sport so there are not scholarships controlled by the NCAA like there are in other sports, but there are school and private scholarships so there is some money involved.

Yes, the ā€˜regularā€™ schools do have Cheer teams in the national competitions. This weekend in Orlando (same corporate organization and sponsors).

Weird to me that a CC has such a strong team with only 2 years to cheer. Iā€™d think a 4 year program would have an advantage. Maybe the open enrollment aspect of the CC is what makes it easier to get whatever cheerleaders one wants? None of these kids seem to be talking about moving on to finish college, though I havenā€™t watched it all yet, they talk about ā€œthis is the last chance to competeā€ as if years 3 and 4 donā€™t exist.

One of the ways schools financially incent cheer athletes to attend is to offer in-state tuition to OOS students (obviously just a thing for public schools).

I have a friend whose daughter was a cheerleader at a Pac 12 school. I think she was paid for appearances and travel, as it was a huge commitment. Iā€™ll ask friend. Scholarships for cheer also come from Rebok and Nike. Big money.

I donā€™t think there are a lot of restrictions on the Jr college time like there are at the NCAA schools (5 years to compete for 4). One of the students is returning for the next season (which would be NOW since they film a year in advance) and it was stated that she already had 2 associate degrees, so not sure if she just had a lot of hs credits and still in her second year of jr college or the jr college cheer doesnā€™t care (youā€™d think FA would be an issue, with federal loans and Pell being lost for not making SAP). In the Last Chance U series (football players at jr college), it was the goal to get them out of jr college with at least 2 years of eligibility left for NCAA play. Some players may spend 3 years at the jr college but not play one of those years or get an NCAA waiver because of an injury one of the year.

The thing to me is, is this exploitative at the cost of education? It is one thing to say that these kids would otherwise have had no college, but protraction to 4 yrs at a junior college would likely make them ineligible for continuing on at a 4 yr if they have maxed up all their credits and aid $$. This doesnā€™t exactly look like a place rolling in money. As there is no post college cheer, what is the end game? That girl who was being tarted out by her parents was a cautionary tell for sure.

At least one does but, yes, academics doesnā€™t seem to factor in much although the coach seems to try to get her team to focus on it.

Well there is post college cheer as it is an industry and some grads go to work for their clubs and gyms. Itā€™s like saying there is no post grad lacrosse or gymnastics. For most grads they go on to other careers but might coach their own kids or become a judge.

I think the value is that for 2 years they have to think about going to college, taking some classes and what a career they want. They have a very successful coach who is successful in part because she has a business degree and an MBA. Roll model. They have to make grades in order to compete. They have to follow the rules about drinking and drugs.

So I started watching The Circle today on Netflix. Interesting and kind of silly concept. Iā€™ve only seen the first episode so far but Iā€™m intrigued.

Weā€™ve watched all eight episodes of the Circle and were entertained. Netflix will be dropping four episodes each week. Itā€™s kind of a crazy show that I canā€™t tear myself away from.

Just watched all 8 episodes of Undone on Amazon (theyā€™re each about 22 minutes). Great acting and intriguing situations. Love the animation technique.

finished Messiah on Netflix yesterday. Definitely a keeper and looking forward to season 2.

I just finished ā€œThe Morning Showā€ with Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon on Apple TV. I thought it was pretty good. Hope thereā€™s a second season.