Binge watched tv shows

I’m watching War of The Worlds (Epix, free season on Prime), lol!

I want to watch comedies right now, escapist stuff. I’ve watched all available seasons of Grace and Frankie on Netflix (love that show) and I’m catching up on Letterkenny on Hulu (sort of an acquired taste but I think it’s hilarious). I also love Mozart in the Jungle (Amazon Prime).

I’ve also watched all of Mayans MC (spinoff of Sons of Anarchy, another show I really liked–the Hamlet story).

We canceled cable last year because it was so expensive and not worth it, but with our three subscription streaming services, I don’t miss it at all.

I just got to the season 3 episode of Outlander where Claire deals with…

…spoiler…

Typhoid on the British ship and wow did it sound familiar. Stay in the fresh air, don’t touch each other, drink lots of water, more will die - ripped out of today’s headlines.

@NJSue I feel the same way right now about wanting to watch comedies. We don’t watch much tv and rarely together but occasionally (like maybe 2-3x a year) my husband and I will pick a series to watch. We enjoyed the original Narcos but he heard Narcos Mexico was better. We just finished the first season and he was ready to start the second season but I could not fathom another season of violence. I needed something light! We’d both heard from various sources about Schitt’s Creek (I’d watched the first episode a while ago) so we started watching that this week. I wasn’t sure if he would enjoy but it is just the kind of humor and comic relief we both needed! I love that each episode is only 20 minutes and we can breeze right through 3 episodes in an hour.

@njsue, have you watched Fleabag on Amazon yet? It’s hilarious, took us about 2 to 3 episodes to hook us. It was Interesting at first, but didn’t know if we would love it…which we ended up doing.

Finished watching Succession on free HBO (through the end of April). I’m disappointed because I thought that there were only 2 Seasons In total, not realizing that wasn’t the end of the series when I started. So, now I’m hooked but I’m not getting hbo. Now I have to wait years probably to see the remainder.

We finished Season 3 of Ozark last night (watched the last two episodes). It’s dark!! Afterwards, H decided to read because I wanted to watch Little Fires Everywhere. He hated Big Little Lies (also Reese Witherspoon).

I’ve read Little Fires Everywhere and thought it was excellent. I’m always a little disappointed when the series/movie and book differ. In this case, I was OK with the differences. I almost never go on Hulu–just paid to see this series. Does anyone know when the last episodes of Little Fires are on Hulu?

Not sure if this series has been mentioned yet, but my sister has been telling me to watch Superstore for years. I finally started it last week and I have to say I’ve really been enjoying it - it’s laugh out loud funny. I think it’s in its seventh season (and currently on TV). I’ve been watching it on Hulu.

My problem with comedies is that so many have laugh tracks. For example, I’ve really enjoyed the bits of The Big Bang Theory that I’ve watched except it’s unwatchable because the laugh track drives me crazy. I wish there were some way to filter them out.

@Bromfield2 All of the episodes of Little Fires are on Hulu now. The finale aired Wednesday night.

I wasn’t as crazy about Unorthodox. There were pieces left unexplained.

My problem with so many comedies, unfortunately, is I don’t find them funny. Different tastes.

My husband and I like watch good murder mystery, police detective shows, be it American, British, Canadian or Australian.

We like Bosch (American), Line of Duty and Happy Valley ( British) Cardinal ( Canadian), Harrow (Australian), Trapped (Icelandic), etc.

We,’ve just found another police detective drama series that we really like. It’s called Foyle’s War. It’s set during WWII era in England. The lead actor was a police chief investgating all kinds of murders. The plots were very good and they weaved WW II history into every episode.

We enjoy watching this excellent TV show and learning some history along with it. Highly recommended this series.

@lookingforward, I just finished the book, “Unorthodox,” after watching the series. It was so much more detailed. Everything made more sense. I already knew the whole Berlin part of the show was fictional. I didn’t realize she was actually married five year and had a young child when she left the community.

Just finished the final episode of Little Fires. I agree that the differences from the book came off well in the movie. Quite an impressive ending. Highly recommend.

Foyle’s War is fabulous. I wish there were new episodes!

Comedies are difficult. People kept recommending Arrested Development to us and we (especially me) just couldn’t stand it.

Has anyone watched Eureka? It’s a bit quirky but really fun. Synopsis: “ The residents of the town of Eureka are scientific geniuses who work for Global Dynamics – an advanced research facility responsible for the development of nearly all major technological breakthroughs since its inception. Each episode featured a mysterious accidental or intentional misuse of technology, which Is often solved by the town sheriff, Jack Carter, the only non genius in town”

We watched Foyle’s War years ago. Loved it and also wished they"d made it longer. Another good BBC production is The Hour.

@mathmom No laugh tracks on Superstore!

Liked Unorthodox and Fleabag. Then saw a German public broadcasting interview with the IRL unorthodox woman, enlightening. Watching season 2 Ozark, strangely addictive. I think we’ll try Schitt$ Creek, too.

I highly recommend reading the book Orthodox. You learn so much more about what her life in the community was like. A couple of very chilling incidents. ?

I tried to order it but it was all sold out.

If my library has it online I’m sure now the reserve list is months long.

Reminder to self - check local indy bookstore!