Binge watched tv shows

A lot of people (including myself) struggle with Schitt’s Creek first season till the last few episodes. If you can get through those, it’s an incredible show! It will make you laugh and cry. The characters grow up and change over the 6 seasons, which is why they are kind of terrible people in the beginning.

I think SC makes a significant turn, when Dan Levy takes more control in season 2 or 3, and it does establish more “heart”. I can understand many struggling with the “silliness”, but even in those early episodes something made me laugh out loud, either David or Stevie, especially.
It takes a couple seasons to get hooked…and it may not appeal to many, too.

I am doling out my episodes of Schitt’s so I don’t get to the end too fast!

@MaineLonghorn we couldn’t make it past the first episode of Schitt’s Creek. I get that the characters improve, but life is short I can’t wait that long.

Tried Schitt’s Creek and got through two episodes.

All through COVID, we’ve binged on political dramas. We finished all 7 seasons of West Wing, 2 seasons of The Politican, and are now into VEEP (on Season 3). West Wing, IMO, is the best of the lot by far. That being said, I love Julie Louis-Dreyfus in VEEP (show itself is OK). I know I’m probably one of a few who never watched Seinfeld, but I’m almost tempted to binge on it (assuming it’s available) just because I like her so much.

Any other recommendatons for political dramas?? (We did watch every episode of House of Cards back when it was on the air.)

I’m currently watching a mini-binge (six episodes) with Archie Punjabi, Next of Kin.
Archie plays a Dr, in search of the truth of why her brother was murdered by extremists .

Interesting about SC – we watched 4-5 episodes and gave up. Maybe will give it another try after we finish our current show (Better Call Saul).

@Bromfield2 Nothing will top The West Wing IMO but H and I liked the first few (probably 4) seasons of Madame Secretary. We missed Bebe Newirth and her character when she left and last couple of seasons got a bit “preachy” for us.

@Bromfield2 , you might like Borgen.

I sometimes think that TV show taste can be like book taste.

Intense books vs. light breezy books.

Dramas vs. comedy.

Historical vs. modern day.

Just as I would not be interested in some of the more intense books that CC reads, I would have to say that if Schitt’s is not a show you watch, we probably better not watch tv together! :wink:

Given that many here have indicated SC seems to improve after the first season, would it be possible to start watching with the second season and skip the first altogether? Or is the first season vital to the enjoyment of the rest of the series? I’m one of those who tried to watch the first episodes of the first season and dropped it because it just didn’t grab me.

The Schitt’s seasons are on the short side - like 13 episode. Episodes are something like 23 minutes long. So you’ll spend 5 hours watching the first season. I personally would watch it. The character and plot development will be skewed if you don’t have the foundation of the first season.

At very least watch the first 3 episodes and then skip through the first season.

The humor is very spot on for me (and my humor!)

Also it is not always squeaky clean in language and topic. Nothing horrible but a heads up.

I liked Schitt’s Creek but it’s not an all time fave. My DH watched the whole thing with me but was not a huge fan. I think it was too silly and far out for him. I appreciated the cleverness and the acting.

We are watching Succession and like it but don’t love it. We are nearing the end of season 1.

Oh, I don’t mind if it’s not squeaky clean. Ok, we might give it another try.

With SC it’s best to go with the flow of quirky over the top characters, and as their story line evolves, the deep love between the family members, the community who embraces the Roses and all their quirks, and they embrace the wacky townspeople.
If you watch the “ making of SC, you will be shocked how many comedians and actors, famous people in the business absolutely love the show. ie Carol Burnett.

Eventually, you accept Moira and her wigs, and unique elocution, of David and his black and white high style, Stevie and her sarcasm, and you start to see lonely people connecting, a gay relationship develop so sweetly, beyond any of the standard stuff, ie modern family. It’s about acceptance, and each character has a personal arc of growth…

Maybe they can explain it better here

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/01/yes-schitts-creek-really-is-that-good

I had started SC two or three times, and I started to see the potential that third time. DH and I have been bringing Homeland, but we have only 3 episodes to go, so–given all the awards recognition–I got him to agree to start it. He keeps groaning at some of the jokes (me too), but is willing to keep going (except for falling asleep). So, given the above discussion, I can’t wait for later seasons! (It’s hard to find shows that are funny that both of us can agree on)

I recommend Borgen for West Wing fans. I stumbled on to Blacklist. I don’t usually watch series with violence but curiosity about the relationship between two main characters keeps me watching.

Another Netflix show, not a series, but beautiful: Extreme.

If you like art history and fashion (they really do go together) there’s a wonderful mini-docuseries (6 episodes) on Amazon Prime, A Stitch in Time. Fashion historian Amber Butchart takes traditional works of art and works with historical costumers to recreate the pieces in that art piece using the methods used during that period. It’s a fascinating and interesting series. Each episode is 1/2 hour and packs a lot into it!

D2 and I binged Emily in Paris created by Darren Star on Netflix. It was fun and light and we enjoyed the Paris scenery.