Binge watched tv shows

I had to initially get the offer via my iPhone, but have subsequently up Apple+ on my Windows desktop. That’s where we’ll watch since we haven’t bothered getting anything to enable us to stream on our tv. It’s smart, but not that smart.

1 Like

I LOVE Mare of Easttown.
It feels very cinematographic to me, the way we get to know the characters, the town, their relationships - the way it’s filmed. The story is gradual so that, when tragedy strikes, you really care and you know one of the people we got to know is a murderer.
And it is very realistic and “true” to PA (though they picked a dingy Wawa).
BTW, I don’t think JD’s father is who Jess might have said it is and I hope the kid we see at the end isn’t dead. I also hope Siobhan isn’t responsible one way or another for what happened to the murdered character but even without a murderer in town I sure would make a bigger deal out of my daughter staying out all night who knows where or what for 3 days before college applications are due.

4 Likes

All of this. I’m so impressed with the accents and attention to local details. I’m generally in awe of how much better Brits are at American accents than vice versa, but I was impressed with everyone. My husband and I have differing guesses on the whodunnit, but I almost wish for once a show would trick us not with red herrings but by actually going for the obvious choice- no one does that anymore and that girl is just awful, awful, awful.

2 Likes

not far from the tree
(trying to be a bit cryptic to avoid spoiling anyone :p, I hope you get what I mean. Err, the milk gallon).

1 Like

Here are some of the series we’ve watched over the past year. Some of these are only one short season but some are years-long. Right now we’re watching Downton Abbey. Yes, late to the game but we started watching years ago when it first came out and after two seasons we’d had enough. We’re trying again and seeing how far we get with it this time round.

Queen’s Gambit
Shtisel (Netflix)
Unorthodox (2020 series)
Junus Emre (Netflix)
Doc Martin
Voices of Fire
Sanditon
The Indian Doctor
The African Doctor
Srugim
All Creatures Great and Small (new version)
Last Tango in Halifax
Jockeys
Rita (fab Swedish series)
Foyle’s War (this one costs but it is extremely well done and lasts 8 or 9 seasons)

3 Likes

@Marilyn The first show we watched on Apple was The Morning Show. The cast is amazing, Steve Carell different than any other role, Billy Crudup I’ve loved since the 90s especially Almost Famous, Jennifer and Reese. Ted Lasso and Morning the first two we watched (and so far only).

3 Likes

@oregon101 We watched The Serpent last week, only one episode a night. I had never heard this story or The Hippie Trail travels in the 60s-70s. My sleep was affected but the show was very good. But warning it is dark/graphic.
I started watching Victoria to see Jenna Coleman in another role. Lead actor Tahar Rahim is chilling, haven’t seen him in anything else yet.

Finally subscribed to Apple TV after all of the recommendations here. LOVING Ted Lasso - there are so few positive shows out there. Also started The Morning Show and For All Mankind and like them as well.

FWIW - I am not a good binger. I like the variety of watching a few shows at a time. I do like not having to wait a week for the next episode but I tend to only watch 1 per show per night.

9 Likes

If you have Comcast it is Watchathon week, with premium channels available on demand. Watched 4 episodes of Men in Kilts last night----if Outlander hasn’t instilled an intense desire to visit Scotland, this show will. Gorgeous scenery, and the banter between the two actors is hilarious.

They have HBO, Starz, Epic, Acorn, and a few more. Ends next Monday.

5 Likes

Handmaid’s Tale, 4th season. Wow.

Many recommended Kim’s Convenience. Presently up to S2, and we are LOVING it. Disappointed to read that season 6 was approved, but it won’t be happening for a while, as there is difficulty getting all the principals together (may be COVID related, do not know).

S6 would have been the final season, so many plotlines would be resolved/sorted out.

As my son said, who gave us the initial recommendation—“Dad, you ARE Mr. Kim!”…not quite sure how to take that…

4 Likes

ShawWife was enjoying Bridgerton. She said I wouldn’t like it.

Really enjoyed the Worricker Trilogy. Starts Bill Nighy, who I think is a really wonderful actor, and Helena Bonham Carter. Also enjoyed Young Wallendar and The Dig.

We thought the Crown was getting a bit boring – and most of the royals come off as just awful people.

More recently, Dickinson on Apple TV+ is interesting and the lead actress, Hailee Steinfeld is very good. What is interesting about it is both a biopic about the poet Emily Dickinson and a coming of age TV series with modern dialog but set in mid-18th Century Amherst, MA. We are now watching Ted Lasso, which started out dumb but has become surprisingly enjoyable (and not dumb).

3 Likes

A Lion in the House is really moving. About children with cancer, following their stories, sometimes to a sad ending and a few times to recovered health. After this hard year, not sure why I ended up watching it, but it put some things into perspective for me.

1 Like

We watched a 3 part adaptation of Joseph Conrad’s The Secret Agent over the last couple of nights on Acorn (free for a week on Comcast). Victorian setting, typical Joseph Conrad, very dark. Watched it because it starred Toby Jones. It was good, but can’t call it fun!

Before bed we had to watch a couple of episodes of Still Standing with Jonny Harris just to lift our moods!!

I am late to the party, but finally started Shtisel and LOVE it! I am trying to control my need to binge it because I will be so sad when its over.

7 Likes

We really enjoyed the first season of “Upload”. Very creative and quirky.

1 Like

Just started it yesterday, love it.

2 Likes

I think someone mentioned Lupin upthread. I recently watched it (only five episodes) and thought it was very good. Now I need to wait for the next season, as it ends really abruptly! It’s in French, you can watch in English but the dubbing was jarring. Easier to do subtitles, which we have on for everything we watch, anyway.

4 Likes

Such a good series. Apparently it was so popular with the Jewish community in New York that they petitioned for a 3rd season and got their wish. So two years after the last episode of the 2nd season they picked it up again :grin:

It’s a big hit in Israel too.

1 Like