Binge watched tv shows

Does anything get EXPLAINED in Leftovers?

^ It does. Not “it” but other stuff.

Okay, regarding Billions, I am so-so on it. I was going to let it go after the pilot then watched the second episode. The Ax guy (is that Damien Lewis?) - what an execrable character with an incredibly annoying persona (his wife too). Really only watching for Paul Giamatti. (Now we know where “Daniel Hardman” landed after leaving Pearson Specter!)

H is home with the flu and we have been binge watching The Fall on Netflix. We are addicted!

I tried to watch Transparent but it didn’t keep my attention. I started Sons of Anarchy last night.

Hooray! For MITJ fans (from Vulture): Despite neither telling the life story of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart nor taking place in a rain forest, Mozart in the Jungle has been renewed for a third season, Amazon announced today. It’s the latest piece of good news for the show, which just won Best Comedy or Musical Series (it’s both!) at the Golden Globes last month, as well as a Best Actor trophy for star Gael García Bernal. For the curious, the Amazon Prime series follows Bernal’s charming young conductor as he navigates the sexy, silly world of New York City symphony orchestras. Why couldn’t it be called Conductor in the City? No one knows. We would watch Conductor in the City in a heartbeat.

It couldn’t be called “Conductor In The City” because for the most part it’s “Oboist In The City.” The first season was almost entirely presented from the point of view of Hailey (or, as Rodrigo pronounces it, “Jai-alai”), the young musician who becomes the conductor’s personal assistant after she flubs an opportunity to play with the orchestra. The second season did have more of a sense of dual points of view, but we still know a lot more about Hailey than about Rodrigo. For example, the men who are interested in her all have names and definite characters; we know what they are like and what they do for a living, and we pretty much know what Hailey thinks of them. We know about Rodrigo’s relationship with his estranged wife, but there’s a woman who shows up periodically in bed with him who I believe has never been named, and who barely has a speaking role. Hailey’s apartment-mate/BFF is a significant character; apart from the nameless blonde, Rodrigo seems to have nothing but professional associates.

We just finished Mozart ITC last night and I looked at my H and said “Well that’s it for however long Amazon takes to make another season.” I really prefer finding shows many seasons in.

Also, it’s based on a book
 the memoirs of the oboist, so naturally the show would start out from her perspective. That is the source material. As it gets picked up for further seasons, we may see the show adapting/expanding the stories as well.

We’re just finishing Man in the High Tower on Amazon - it’s set in the early 1960s with the premise that the Axis powers won WWII and the US is occupied by Germany and Japan. It’s interesting to see how they handle such an incomprehensible scenario - acting is great and early 60s sets in NYC and San Francisco are well done. Not much bad language and the violence is not overly graphic.

H and I just finished Man in the high tower too. I believe they’re going to make a second season, which makes sense since the book goes a lot further that the first season has.

The name of the show on Amazon is The Man in the High Castle.

I just watched the first three episodes of Billions, and am really enjoying it.

I am SO impressed with Damien Lewis’ performance as Bobby Axelrod. Just look at the way he holds his shoulders and moves: he’s a guy from the outer boroughs at the core, yet a hyper-attuned, magnetic creature swimming in an ocean of information, money, and ambition at the same time. He just knocks me out.

The whole deal with Giamatti and his wife is remarkable too. They almost never go where a conventional plot would have them go.

I also finally watched the last episode of Treme. That was a great series, indeed. I miss the characters.

^Yeah. And some of his poses, conveying the power and sense of self, but also, maybe, some awareness of the risk of high stakes. We don’t know much of his back story yet. (Frankly, that might just get in the way.)

Speaking of back story, I missed something in House of Cards about Underwood’s past (or present.) Or it went over my head. Is he bi?

^ I think Frank Underwood is supposed to be gay.

I assume he’s bi not gay as he is sexually active with his wife plus the affair he had in Season 1 with the young reporter.

Watched the first episode of MITJ and enjoyed it tremendously! Thank you for the recommendation. It’s always a pleasure to see familiar NY actors in a show. It’s almost a guarantee of a quality show.

Has anyone watched “Vikings”? It looks like it was originally on the History channel and is available on Amazon. We watched the first episode last night. Haven’t yet decided whether it’s worth it. We did really like TURN: Washington’s Spies on AMC and other historical series like Rome.

@doschicos I don’t think the implication is that Frank Underwood is bisexual. Being able to perform if necessary doesn’t indicate desire for the opposite sex. The affair with the reporter was a power play as I understood it. Frank is not sexually active with his wife; they sleep in separate rooms, have no children, and the one time we saw a sexual encounter with the two of them, Claire brought a man for Frank.

Meanwhile, what does everything think of Vinyl??

Predictable so far, but the scene where the New York Dolls “brought down the house” with Personality Crisis was epic.

@Ynotgo, DH and I have watched all of the previous seasons of Vikings and just started watching the fourth season on the History Channel. Even though the show is quite intense and sometimes bloody, we have really enjoyed it because it seems historically realistic. I would recommend it.