Binge watched tv shows

I’m not into Shetland Season 6 as much as I was into Season 3, 4, or 5. Not sure why. :frowning: Anyone feels the same?

I’ve binge-watched an Aussie show, The Newsreader. It was compelling and deeply affecting.
(@abasket: Perhaps as a counter point to The Morning Show?)
It takes place in 1986 Melbourne, before cable news. It’s a big city but, I don’t know whether it’s due to the time period decor/objects or to the fact that really was Australia back then but it feels like national big names working in a provincial town. Was Melbourne provincial?
I have a sense they’re trying to not be the BBC and have their own style, but they still seem focused on what’s happening in Britain. The lack of technology is a huge impediment especially when you live 10,000 miles from where “big news” happens (there are big stories in Australia too, but you clearly understand they’re not big worldwide: the woman accused of killing her baby when she said it was snatched by a dingo, a police station that is firebombed). They’re trying to be their own thing, not BBC redux, but to me it looks “local news” even though it clearly is national-level, so that it ends up being telling about the era and Australia trying to find its place in the world.
In terms of period drama it looks very “real”.
Journalists from the times say it’s quite accurate, one went on to explain that in Melbourne the newsroom was super advanced compared to his hometown paper because they had electric typewriters.

Second, the characters: Helen Norville (Anna Torv) is the glamorous star news anchor whom everyone around her considers “difficult” because she insists on pitching stories like interviewing a family about AIDS’ impact rather than covering the new Butterfly Dome at the zoo, or interviewing aboriginal elders about their view of the Haley comet rather than children at a picnic on the same topic. She’s shown to be volatile but also a highly strung incredible professional, who neverthelesse takes abuse on a daily basis and we’re clearly supposed to think she’s unstable for crying after being berated, slighted, undermined and insulted all day long and without the men in charge having a clue that’s what’s they’re doing. (Summary of dialogue - Editor in Chief: “Some viewers called to complain you looked fat, so lay off the biscuits and if you’re pregnant let us know so we can give you a day off.” Helen storms out and goes to scream in her lounge. Everybody seems to believe Helen is a drama queen. – Process the “day off” comment.) Except of course it’s “normal” and she’s tolerated because she’s a huge star, but apparently in the 80s Australian TV was a man’s world and a woman was supposed to feel lucky to be allowed to “read the news” (hence the title: The Newsreader, which is equivalent to News Anchor.) It was the beginning of women having a role in newsrooms but apparently just the beginning.
(Spoiler:
Helen’s also probably bipolar, except at the time, in Australia at least, no one had any word for it, let alone herself, no diagnostic or no treatment, and she tries to self medicate the best she can. The abusive work environment doesn’t help.)

The second main character is Dale, a young, ambitious (but not shark/ruthless) producer who came from a small town, wants to do live reporting and some day be a newsreader. He’s a long way off :slight_smile: A 21st century viewer can also pick up early on that he’s locked deep inside a closet.

Other important characters are Noelene, daughter of Korean immigrants who’s very aware of her place in the pecking order, Rob who covers sport news, Geoff THE big journalist who became famous reporting on Vietnam and was the big newsreader until Helen came along.

Dale and Helen end up using each other/helping each other as they cover the big news from January to April 1986.

There’ll be a second season :slight_smile:

There was some criticism on making the newsroom “too diverse” in that there’s Noelene (daughter of Korean immigrants) and a guy of Greek descent, and apparently in the 80s there might have been one behind the scenes but not two “non white/British descent” people hired.

1 Like

I’m actually enjoying this season. The difference for me is that I binged the earlier seasons, and I have to watch this season with pauses between episodes.

1 Like

Thanks for “Shetland” recommendation. We’ve started watching it on Britbox and like it… and love the scenery. It has a bit of the feel of “Broadchurch” and “Doc Martin”.

So far we have only watched Season 1 (a 2-episode case) and the first 2-episode case of Season 2. We like the 2-episode “movie like” option for our evenings but can get overloaded if we watch too much “Silent Witness”.

1 Like

@MYOS1634 are you watching Shetland on Britbox? Is that where you found The Newsreader? I’m already subscribed to several other channels so I think I will wait until all the episodes for Shetland air before I bother getting Britbox to watch it. However, I couldn’t find The Newsreader when I searched for it and couldn’t seem to find what streaming mechanism is showing it. Would you mind sharing?

I can’t figure out how to PM you but you should be able to PM me.

I’ve been binge watching “Baptiste”. I like the main character but the plot line is very dark.

1 Like

@TatinG, season 1? Season 2 finishes on PBS this Sunday, and is also dark.

IIRC, in season 1 the story was told in straight line fashion, correct? Season 2’s story is told in flashback/flash forward, so it took us a couple of episodes to figure out what was going on.

anyone watching The Great? WTH?! i guess we thought it was going to be dark humor. but it takes a different turn. peter is a monster, but if anything it intrigued us enough to read over the real history of Catherine the Great. Not sure we can finish it. anyone here watched it all?

1 Like

I started watching Dopesick The other evening and got immediately sucked in. I’m enjoying it. Definitely sad and dark, though.

3 Likes

I just cannot do sad and dark right now. I do like some shows/movies like that sometimes, but currently not in the headspace for that. I need to keep it funny/light for now. We’ve been watching our usual Great British Baking Show and Bob’s Burgers, Kim’s Convenience, Derry Girls, Motherland (the UK comedy), Raised by Wolves (the UK comedy). Still working our way through The Goldbergs. We watch these with the kids. Also watched Freaks & Geeks with them. That was a lot of fun. I watched Mare of Easttown with H, but not sure I would be up for that right now, maybe though. That is not the kids’ vibe (kids are 20 almost 21 and 17 gonna be 18 in a few days). I would like to watch the next season of Shetland. I’ve watched the previous ones but it’s been awhile. I feel like it’s not quite as gritty as Mare and the scenery is beautiful.

Would love suggestions for more funny/light stuff to get me through the dark months. We do have the last episode of Ted Lasso to watch, too.

2 Likes

H and I started watching The Great on the recommendation of a friend. We haven’t gotten too far into it yet. Definitely not what I expected.

try"Ghosts"

1 Like

Thanks for the rec. I’ll check it out.

It’s sweet and funny, there’s a little something for everyone: anachronism humor, diy/remodelling a house, reinventing yourself, urban/country, friends comedy…
You should watch episodes 1-2 together.
(I liked the episode about Flower’s secret best so far).
There’s a UK version and a 2021 US version where the mansion is in Upstate NYC .

1 Like

“Food Lore” is a very subtle, intriguing tv series we enjoy.

GOT fans will enjoy this. “Gunpowder”, the 3 part HBO historical drama related to the UK’s Guy Fawkes Day - ‘Remember, remember, the 5th of November…’ is very worthwhile. Kit Harington, ‘Jon Snow’, in Game of Thrones is amazingly related to both sides of the ordeal and is a direct descendent of the character he portrays in “Gunpowder”. We did fastforward over some gruesome bits, because my wife’s husband (okay me) is a bit of a sissy.

Off the top of my head, some of my favorites, mostly on Netflix ….

Dark (German) THE BEST SHOW OF ALL TIME
The Crown
OA
Sex Education
Ozark
Stranger Things
Atypical
Squid Game
Umbrella Academy
Bridgerton
Never Have I Ever
The Queen’s Gambit
Mind hunter
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul

Prime:
Red Oaks
Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
The Americans
Hunters

Apple:
Ted Lasso
Acapulco
Foundation

Hulu:
Hannibal

Showtime:
Dexter
Dexter New Blood

HBO:
GOT
The Leftovers
Watchmen
Silicon Valley
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Eastbound and Down
Riteous Gemstones
Vice Principals
Rome
Big Little Lies
On the Night of

1 Like

i’ll have to look at Dark. never heard of it. but that’s quite recommendation

1 Like

If you’ve never watched The Good Place, it’s on Netflix now. Delightful series.

4 Likes

Also just added The Dark to my watch list.

1 Like